PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The Gandalf one had an acrylic tenon and an acrylic bit (fixed to beach). I wasn’t aware of the interior tube, but makes sense. Either way, it was one of the nicest stems I had seen
Used to have three of them and that tube made cleaning them a breeze. I was worried about a pipe cleaner getting snagged inside of a wooden stem but the tube was smooth as glass.

img_20160103_085359-3.jpg

Mar 1, 2014
Not quite IPSD but I ordered these from Blakemar Briars last fall (the delay was mostly due to a payment processor going SNAFU) and they arrived a few weeks ago.
Now I've got three more on order, which is the last of the available stummels.
399EBEE5-918C-4EE9-AEE3-DCBE3DEEDF96.jpeg650C2B28-E2BB-451E-982C-2744140E2905.jpeg

The Blakemar King's Imperial Quantock is almost exactly the same as the Peterson XL23, but costs nearly half as much.

4847B409-D010-477D-AAE9-48EA639DB2D8.jpeg

Last edited:

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Used to have three of them and that tube made cleaning them a breeze. I was worried about a pipe cleaner getting snagged inside of a wooden stem but the tube was smooth as glass.

View attachment 66994
Doesn't seem to be a major debacle, but still:

Two 'major' cracks: one on the back of the stem close to the tenon:

Vauen_Almar_debacle--02.jpg

And one on the back as well, close to the mouthpiece:

Vauen_Almar_debacle--01.jpg

I'm keeping the stem in a ziploc bag with dessicant for the time being, maybe it'll absorb the extra water that made the wood expand.

In the meanwhile, I'm making a cap because the freehand shape of the bowl prevents the use of the windcap, and I don't want a mess when I need to put it away half-smoked:

Vauen_Almar_debacle--03.jpg

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
Doesn't seem to be a major debacle, but still:

Two 'major' cracks: one on the back of the stem close to the tenon:

View attachment 67002

And one on the back as well, close to the mouthpiece:

View attachment 67001

I'm keeping the stem in a ziploc bag with dessicant for the time being, maybe it'll absorb the extra water that made the wood expand.

In the meanwhile, I'm making a cap because the freehand shape of the bowl prevents the use of the windcap, and I don't want a mess when I need to put it away half-smoked:

View attachment 67003
That looks like it hurts....

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My own sales psychology says ten or fifteen percent discount will trigger a pipe purchase if I have been on the verge of buying an item already. It doesn't prompt me to prowl the pages looking for a potential buy. Twenty percent on the whole site, with no minimum purchase might send me looking, and would definitely trip my wire if I were already interested. Any discount on tobacco is tempting, but I try not to hoard too much.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
That’s terrible! Thanks for letting us know. I won’t put water on my auenland stem now. I guess it’s because the beech stem is thin wood, just a sheath over the acrylic, so expanding and shrinking is damaging.

I hope it repairs well enough.
I just gave it a very careful touch with 3000 grit sandpaper to get rid of the roughness. Have to fold the paper to needle-like point to avoid sanding the area around. I just checked and it seems fine: can't tell there was any damage, unless you're looking for it. If you end up accidentally getting it wet, look to the grain: it cracks along the boundary.

Status
Not open for further replies.