Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Did Comoy's make all of the Walt Disney World pipes? This one has a stamp under the shank, and appears to have 'JET' stamped on the stem.

Walt Disney World pipe on ebay

s-l1600.webp

• Wow
Reactions: Groot5225

jaingorenard

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
Well, it arrived. It's a 1906, pretty much a magnum, but devastatingly the stem was broken in transit, despite being in its case and packaged very well. It was otherwise in pretty reasonable condition. A shame that this pipe survived for so long, and then probably got broken by some moron throwing the box around, despite being plastered in 'Fragile' tape. IMG20240831110849.jpg

Jon C.P.G.

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 29, 2023
Well, it arrived. It's a 1906, pretty much a magnum, but devastatingly the stem was broken in transit, despite being in its case and packaged very well. It was otherwise in pretty reasonable condition. A shame that this pipe survived for so long, and then probably got broken by some moron throwing the box around, despite being plastered in 'Fragile' tape. View attachment 333420
It is the shippers fault that stem should have been removed and carefully wrapped in layers for protection as amber is very fragile. Man, this breaks my heart as a Peterson and Meerschaum lover, I'm going to go be angry over this for you now just because 😑

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Regarding the break, I'd say 99.99% chance it happened when the pipe was handled by the seller during packaging---probably just accidentally dropped---not handled by the shipper.

Meaning, the seller probably clam-shelled the case closed on a broken pipe knowing it would be impossible to prove he did it.

Put another way, unless the CASE shows sufficient corresponding damage, physics says that sort of clean snap can't happen.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
It is the shippers fault that stem should have been removed and carefully wrapped in layers for protection as amber is very fragile. Man, this breaks my heart as a Peterson and Meerschaum lover, I'm going to go be angry over this for you now just because 😑
Agreed. Amber isn't vulcanite and could have snapped just from the package being banged against a hard surface. The shipper likely didn't realize this and thought the case alone was enough protection.

jaingorenard

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
Regarding the break, I'd say 99.99% chance it happened when the pipe was handled by the seller during packaging---probably just accidentally dropped---not handled by the shipper.

Meaning, the seller probably clam-shelled the case closed on a broken pipe knowing it would be impossible to prove he did it.

Put another way, unless the CASE shows sufficient corresponding damage, physics says that sort of clean snap can't happen.
This was my guess to, and I sent them an email implying I thought this is what happened. The pipe was very well packaged, hovering in packing peanuts in a large box, also bubble wrapped. Unfortunately, most auction houses will not take responsibility for something after it's packaged and shipped (as they generally prefer you to collect in person after the sale).

It was sent with Royal Mail and insured, so I'm hoping they may at least try to get me some compensation.

I didn't pay a huge amount for this pipe, I'm just gutted that it survived from 1906 until now, and some careless twat did this to it.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
This was my guess to, and I sent them an email implying I thought this is what happened. The pipe was very well packaged, hovering in packing peanuts in a large box, also bubble wrapped.

That's definitive.

A lightweight object locked in a matrix of foam peanuts and bubble-wrapped could be dropped onto a concrete sidewalk from a third floor balcony without a problem.

In fact it would be fun to see what would be required to damage a stem inside a case inside bubble wrap inside a peanut matrix inside a shipping box... It would damn near take a steam roller or hydraulic press.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I had a funny thought—what if the Disney Company itself is buying these up at what ever price is necessary to remove any traces of their involvement with tobacco as some sort of revisionist history effort (that is probably tax deductible)?
That's an intriguing idea. I have no idea what these normally go for, but $500 seems excessive.

Reactions: jpmcwjr