PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Someone got a deal!

Is that a great deal on a Dunhill tie pin? I have a couple of Dunhill tie clips that were gifts, so I don't know what they go for. The pipes aren't part f the deal, so why is the seller featuring them?

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Todd has worked hard to establish a good following. Who shows up is easily as important as what’s being sold.
Not to well heeled collectors who will pay BIG BUCKS for unsmoked pipes from premium makers. In the overall world of high pedigree unsmoked Britwood this is chump change.

This is a very good result. Todd does a great job with presentation.

We need a 'Show Your Deadman Pipes' thread - I'd love to see the pipes you all are winning in his auctions.

I won this one from him four years ago. It was a very pleasant transaction - I asked him about a few things he had done to the pipe, he explained, and I made some changes based on that conversation and Peterson catalog pages.

It was an ebay auction, and it is Britwood, so I guess it's 'legal', although 'necro' :LOL:

Dublin and London 69X (Deadmanpipe picture):

u1MamOS.jpeg

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
After receiving this one I asked Todd why he made all his pipes so shiny, and he replied that he liked shiny pipes. Fair enough. I used to show my restored pipes on another forum and I had a wealthy collector of high-end pipes (he liked to tell us how much he paid for them) flat-out tell me that the goal of any pipe restorer should be to make his pipes look brand new (not necessarily 'original brand new'), and that I should send my pipe to xxxx to have the job done properly! I fumed a little.

I collect 'Dublin and London' and 'London and Dublin' pipes, so I knew what I was getting (great grain, 'Made in Ireland' stamp, perfect stummel) and made a few planned changes - added white to the 'P', took a little bend out of the stem, and stripped the finish, adding Danish Oil and then Carnuba Wax and hand-buffing until the finish matched some of my other D&L examples. I still plan to build up the bit, but I've otherwise always loved this pipe.

zmkITmI.jpeg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I picked up this unsmoked Nording the other day. Got a great price on it. It had been up for auction a couple of weeks before and I was outbid. The winner, an overseas buyer, balked at the shipping cost. I had bought a Barling Quaint instead, so I wasn't interested in the second chance offer. Todd relisted it and I watched the auction, not intending to bid. But the price on it remained low, so at the last moment I tossed in a bid, not figuring to win it. Surprise!

Nording.jpg

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I picked up this unsmoked Nording the other day. Got a great price on it. It had been up for auction a couple of weeks before and I was outbid. The winner, an overseas buyer, balked at the shipping cost. I had bought a Barling Quaint instead, so I wasn't interested in the second chance offer. Todd relisted it and I watched the auction, not intending to bid. But the price on it remained low, so at the last moment I tossed in a bid, not figuring to win it. Surprise!

View attachment 299123View attachment 299123

GORGEOUS!!!

Reactions: sablebrush52

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State