The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Here's a shape 04 Dunhill that I bid on because it was so rough that I figured I could do anything I wanted to it without hurting it: Dunhill 1983 42041 Chestnut

The main thing I wanted to try was amber CA glue to fill the dents in the stem. It worked well enough that I am doing the same on another Cumberland with similar problems. I knew in advance it would have to be seriously topped, but I thought I might like this shape with a shorter bowl, and I do. I didn't want to take it down any further than shown, so it's a touch thin at the front and back of the bowl. Bottom pic shows the bowl after scrubbing.

KkPj32M.jpg

hh2aiw1.jpg

Nrxl2O9.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Why did this go for so little?

An unknown seller? He did sell another HT, in December, that went for $250 (plus $1.99 Shipping!)

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Here's a shape 04 Dunhill that I bid on because it was so rough that I figured I could do anything I wanted to it without hurting it: Dunhill 1983 42041 Chestnut

The main thing I wanted to try was amber CA glue to fill the dents in the stem. It worked well enough that I am doing the same on another Cumberland with similar problems. I knew in advance it would have to be seriously topped, but I thought I might like this shape with a shorter bowl, and I do. I didn't want to take it down any further than shown, so it's a touch thin at the front and back of the bowl. Bottom pic shows the bowl after scrubbing.

KkPj32M.jpg

hh2aiw1.jpg

Nrxl2O9.jpg
Amazing job ! Suppose the topping was done on the board ?
So amber CA glue works good for cumberland ?
I'd much like to see a "before" picture of the dents on the stem .

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Amazing job ! Suppose the topping was done on the board ?
So amber CA glue works good for cumberland ?
I'd much like to see a "before" picture of the dents on the stem .

Thanks! I start with a large piece of 400 grit held steady on a very flat smooth counter top, going to wet-sanding after the initial pass.
I suspected that amber CA glue would work on Cumberlands, but wanted to test a really awful stem so that I could try filling, building up, etc. I had to build up the left edge of the top, and had a large 'pond' to fill on the back that starts in the middle (doesn't show well in pic).

Here is the stem (top on left, bottom on right) after scrubbing clean with a Magic Eraser/alcohol. The stem got the entire micromesh progression. The last pic shows the stem before I cleaned it - you can see the 'pool' area better (right-side pic).

1rCa4UL.jpg

oxJdwmJ.jpeg

Last edited: