Here's an interesting Sasieni 'two dot' that sold with an accompanying old GBD:

GBD 2515 & SASIENI two dot 106

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
...and a rare Peterson 445 'Long Pastime'. I have one of these, along with a London HM 218, and the 218 stummel has almost exactly the same dimensions except the shank is a touch thinner. Shanks on both models are noticeably thicker than the original Merchant Service 'Bing'.

I love these long, thin-shank pipes - I had a Scotty Piersel like these that was a fantastic smoker, but ultimately preferred the $445 I was able to recover from it :)

Peterson 445 Long Pastime

s-l1600.jpg

Edited to replace '289' with correct model '218'

Last edited:
Reactions: AroEnglish

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Spot on ! I own an otherwise fine patent Dunhill's shell LV 1 ( vulcano, original not fitted with a FT stem ) that was given a similar stem by ( if memory serves me correctly ) Scandpipes . Always wondered if it is a Dunhill repair, or one of their own "creations".
Did not so much mind it then, I bought it for a song . But now as we speak of it ?
The tenon shows the original 45 degrees bevel.
George; what say you ?

I hope the one from ebay that I showed has a 'correct' stem, as I bought it. The date code and model number were unreadable, but I'm banking on it being a WWII-era pipe.

Vintage Clean Dunhill Pipe Apple Shape | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/204643019511

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I own an otherwise fine patent Dunhill's shell LV 1 ( vulcano, original not fitted with a FT stem ) that was given a similar stem by ( if memory serves me correctly ) Scandpipes . Always wondered if it is a Dunhill repair, or one of their own "creations".
Did not so much mind it then, I bought it for a song . But now as we speak of it ?
The tenon shows the original 45 degrees bevel.
George; what say you ?

Pics or it didn't happen. puffy

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Here's an interesting Sasieni 'two dot' that sold with an accompanying old GBD:

GBD 2515 & SASIENI two dot 106

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
Wonderful Sasieni Two Dot 106 here. formerly the "Stratford" , one of my favourite Sasieni shapes, along with the "Waterloo" .
I own a two dot 106 , it came in like new condition with the original red and white Sasieni box.
The box itself is imho a treasure to behold. It came for 15,00 , I was the sole bidder.
Being more rare than the four dots, the two - are not often seen.
Like on mine the dots look to be of the smaller size. Unless they only came in one size dots ?

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Pics or it didn't happen. puffy
"I exist, I think "
While you've never seen a picture of me :) Count yourself lucky for that.
But you are correct and will see if my friend is in the proper mood to shoot some.
Meanwhile I'm quite sure this is not Dunnie replacement. The stem is clunky and some of the blasting was smoothened out to make the shank/stem fit . Quite possible that because of this some of the stamping was lost; Philistines they are at scandpipes. I believe it is a 1926-1934 one . Dunhill Shell US patent 13414 .......
I was aware of the maming of this historically significant one ( to me, that is ) ; bought the pipe for a song because of the rare shape, outstanding sandblast and the good condition of the chamber. Rim is fine too.
Well, there's not much you cannot do to make it feel better 😉

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Wonderful Sasieni Two Dot 106 here. formerly the "Stratford" , one of my favourite Sasieni shapes, along with the "Waterloo" .
I own a two dot 106 , it came in like new condition with the original red and white Sasieni box.
The box itself is imho a treasure to behold. It came for 15,00 , I was the sole bidder.
Being more rare than the four dots, the two - are not often seen.
Like on mine the dots look to be of the smaller size. Unless they only came in one size dots ?
Could you show a picture of the box please? I'm slowly 'understanding' Sasienis, and it's good to know what boxes went with which variations.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Here is a puzzler. It's a 2nd line Sasieni Ashford (shape 88). They go for around $70 - $100 (there's a BIN now up for $70 plus shipping). Someone absolutely butchered the stem on this example, yet it had 14 bids and brought $62.

Here's the BIN if anyone is looking (I'd say the Royal Stuart line is better than the Friar). It is in Greece.

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
Here is a puzzler. It's a 2nd line Sasieni Ashford (shape 88). They go for around $70 - $100 (there's a BIN now up for $70 plus shipping). Someone absolutely butchered the stem on this example, yet it had 14 bids and brought $62.

Here's the BIN if anyone is looking (I'd say the Royal Stuart line is better than the Friar). It is in Greece.

The grain is nicer on the first one and the COM stamp is of an older era as well than the second one. I have a feeling some people can’t see the condition of pipes that well and may have disappointment. This maybe being one?

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG