PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I have noticed that there is a bit of cynicism in this forum. I get it - it's hard to stomach anyone else getting a good deal if you think they're just in it for the money. If I had paid $800 for those pipes it would have been okay with everyone, as I then MUST be a collector with nothing but altruistic desires for the pipe-collecting community.

Yes, I love a good deal. Sell me a Ferndown in mint condition (or 'VERY Mint' condition) for $50 and I will probably clean it and flip it quickly, as their aesthetics don't impress me and I don't smoke them.

But I prefer to acquire pipes that I collect (Dunhills and Petes) that would be valuable if they were in great condition, but aren't. I get a thrill out of bringing them back to life. Such pipes are now gathering dust in boxes stacked in my spare bedroom, as I can't bring myself to sell a pipe that I put hours of planning and elbow grease into restoring. If I did, I'd probably get about ten cents per hour of labor if I even recouped the original purchase price.

I have over 500 pipes and constantly have grand plans of 'flipping' them down to a smokeable number. So if I do, and I make a buck or two, please just be happy for me.

You are reading WAY too much into our exchange.

Do whatever you like for any reason you like. I am not interested in your motivations, reasoning, or anything else along those lines. Your business is your own.

I'm a technician. Solving technical problems is what I do. Outside the shop I try to pass on what I've learned over the years on forums like this one, plus some YouTube demo stuff.

Doing that has involved significant interaction with many collectors for a long time, so I understand the implications that most technical issues have for the owners of pipes regarding their hobby, and try to pass that on as well.

That's it.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
You are reading WAY too much into our exchange.
Absolutely. Much of it, if I may, were misinterpretations and conversations he was having preemptively with himself.

Oh look. An interesting completed eBay auction! This Suskind is a beauty and got away for a song.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Absolutely. Much of it, if I may, were misinterpretations and conversations he was having preemptively with himself.

Oh look. An interesting completed eBay auction! This Suskind is a beauty and got away for a song.

Suskind bros are a fantastic marquee which don’t often get represented here.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville

That's barely HALF a song - jeez.
Pipe looks to be in very good shape too.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Here's a couple interesting ones that ended today:

Blue Riband Shape 43. I've rarely (ever?) seen this shape in a Blue Riband. I'm not sure about the wooden box?

Tree Stump Sasieni, from a the 1941 Yale Catalog. I've seen these before, but not often. All have had a two-dot stem, so this stem is likely a replacement I believe.

Sasieni_Tree_Strump_Catalog Page.jpg

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Here's a couple interesting ones that ended today:

Tree Stump Sasieni, from a the 1941 Yale Catalog. I've seen these before, but not often. All have had a two-dot stem, so this stem is likely a replacement I believe.

Sasieni seconds have got quite a market of late.

Reactions: AroEnglish

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
Looks like NOS to me? Please remove if not the place as there aren’t any pipes in it.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
My only Super has an 'S' in that position (on top of the stem), but it is stamped 'Super' rather than 'Deluxe'. It would definitely be interesting to see, did you get them?
The grain on these pipes is the best I've ever seen on any Charatan pipe in my collection.
They are graded Super DeLuxe, which is super- , super rare if not singular.
I got them . Already own two Super graded ones , but on these the grain is exceptional.
Could they be carved from one block ? Dear Lord, how I miss my friend Ken to talk and share .

Last edited:

Toast

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 15, 2021
UK
The grain on these pipes is the best I've ever seen on any Charatan pipe in my collection.
They are graded Super DeLuxe, which is super- , super rare if not singular.
I got them . Already own two Super graded ones , but on these the grain is exceptional.
Could they be carved from one block ? Dear Lord, how I miss my friend Ken to talk and share .
Can't wait to see some photos when you get them.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
An usual Comoy's grade, wonderful piece of briar, sold by former member "SamCoffeeMan".

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
That's barely HALF a song - jeez.
Pipe looks to be in very good shape too.
Yep ; it is mine including the Loewe Falkland ( grain ! ) and the Pete Kapet with box etc.
The VAT and Ebay's shipping costs are huge ! Ebay's Global Shipping adds up and
now charged GBP 55,00 for shipping to the Netherlands. It is outrageous and I contemplate filing a complaint.
Anyone any extra information about the Charatan cased pipe set please share.

Last edited:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This was interesting. The charity organization seller listed this Ashton seven-day pipe box with the initials MCO on the case:

And five silver-banded pipes with the MCO initials. They also listed several other Ashtons, but they weren't banded.
I hope the same buyer won the box and pipes (not sure why you would want the box if you didn't have the pipes)

MCO smoked them pretty hard!