PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Despite a few deficiencies this one spoke to me and I was the sole bidder :
What struck me most was the wonderfully mottled grain ( understatement imho ) and the , I believe, ancient CP logo with the serifs !
I do not recall having seen a logo like this before , except possibly on a picture.
The few issues can be dealt with.
Dear Ken, you're sorely missed.
Oh brother, where art thou roaming now ?

Last edited:

niblicck

Can't Leave
Oct 7, 2020
Alabama
What a fool believes ....
Opinions ? The seller seemed much annoyed with my concerns.
I'm thinking about buying that. The leather holster looks like my size 2 Dunhill reamer would fit in it and just throw the pipe away.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Talking counterfeit Dunhill pipes .
The seller kindly ended the listing.
Remind me; how did Dunhill stamp the stummels ?
that pipe must have been well buffed,all the blasting totally polished out ;)

Reactions: mingc

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Looks like classic Sasieni's are still holding there value. This one sold by fairly well known Maryland collector, Paige Simms. Not exactly listed correctly (4 Dot), but did well.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I haven't seen a Charatan Countryman in a while. This one also sold by Paige Simms, with some wear.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I haven't seen a Charatan Countryman in a while. This one also sold by Paige Simms, with some wear.

Listings like this one make me miss Ken Barne's wealth of knowledge even more than usual. Lack of a Lane stamp doesn't prove it's "pre-Lane", just that this pipe wasn't intended for export to the US. Free hands weren't a thing before Barry Jones carved the first one as an experiment in 1959.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Listings like this one make me miss Ken Barne's wealth of knowledge even more than usual. Lack of a Lane stamp doesn't prove it's "pre-Lane", just that this pipe wasn't intended for export to the US. Free hands weren't a thing before Barry Jones carved the first one as an experiment in 1959.
Actually I am still somehow processing Ken's demise. We were on so good terms; I purchased quite some estate pipes from him and we then discussed their provenance, condition etc. per mail.
He was the ultimate gentleman, always asking first if my friend and I were well, never complaining about
his horrible misfortune. That is a huge understatement, but for the moment I cannot find a better phrasing .
We excanged many tips and tricks about how to deal with certain issues that needed attention when refurbishing.
He confided to me about his disease and we contemplated about his treatment etc. Posted many words and then my mails did not meet a reply anymore :(
All we can hope for now is he did not so much suffer ; I feel very anxious about that.
The bulk of the Countrymen pipes was carved in the early fifties by Dan Tennyson.
Most were Selected,one of my three Countrymen is a Selected deluxe, it is stunning and was most likely carved by DT .
The seller is indeed a little off course ; I believe the FH stamp was aprox. 1957-1967 .
I am not to keen about the blast of this pipe, but it did well .

Last edited: