PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Oh I’ve definitely noticed the upswing. It has dramatically halted my purchases.

But I also establish a price and walk away.
Same here.
Usually I'm not that far off the mark with my estimates, but recent prices have made a mockery of some of my estimates.
Thankfully, except for a couple of "white whales", I've pretty much scratched the itch for old Britwoods

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
A Comoy's Blue Riband Flame Grain billiard fetched over $1000 last month ! I didn't think the grain on that pipe warranted the price. Imagine what a Specimen Straight Grain will fetch in today's market.

Some of the auction prices have been OTT since the start of Covid
This also points out the importance of a professional quality presentation. Too many sellers on eBay shoot themselves in their private bits by posting crap photography. I've gotten some spectacular deals because of that.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Oh I’ve definitely noticed the upswing. It has dramatically halted my purchases.

But I also establish a price and walk away.
Pretty much how I do it. Two failed strategies I don't bother with: bidding duels and stupidly high bid sniping. These dumb tactics have provided me with much spectator amusement over the years.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
What's not to like? The condition appears to be excellent. It's an elegant shape. The blast is not the craggy sort of the early Dunhill blasts but is still visually interesting with a compact pattern. It's from a good period for Dunhill. And you got it for around 100 Euro, so where's the downside unless there's some unknown that appears after you received the pipe.
I've owned a number of Dunhills and still have a few. Unfortunately most of mine came from the 1970's when the quality seems to have slipped to that of a bad basket pipe, at least the pipes I picked up. My Dunhills from earlier periods are quite good.
My awaited pipe has not yet arrived. The tracking got stuck with customs and the pipe is probably lost in the mail Seller is helpful and starts an investigation with Royal Mail .
Weep for me my faithful friends .

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Some craziness lately, that's for sure.

This one surprised me - $285 for a 999 Dublin & London, unrestored, poor nomenclature. That's as high as I've seen for a non-hallmarked 999.

Wouldn't call that an author. Have that exact same pipe which I bought from a forum member at another forum many years ago for $50. Needless to say, mine looks better.;)

Reactions: OzPiper

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
$50,00 tops.
" Sanity is wasted on the sane "
Actually Mark Irwin had a blog post some years back discussing the old Dublin and London line in which he contended that, at the time of its run, it was the second highest grade pipe Peterson made and was considered a high grade pipe. That being said, I don't follow the used market and have no idea what pipes are worth these days.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Actually Mark Irwin had a blog post some years back discussing the old Dublin and London line in which he contended that, at the time of its run, it was the second highest grade pipe Peterson made and was considered a high grade pipe. That being said, I don't follow the used market and have no idea what pipes are worth these days.
That's right, perhaps that was a driver (blog entry from 2020). The bowl has some pretty decent birdseye.
That blog entry did also include a download for a restored, 1940 Peterson catalog. (which details the D&L line)

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
That's right, perhaps that was a driver (blog entry from 2020). The bowl has some pretty decent birdseye.
That blog entry did also include a download for a restored, 1940 Peterson catalog. (which details the D&L line)
I’m the new owner. I did the research on Dublin and London, looked through its current condition and put out my price. I’ll post it when I get it cleaned up.

The Estate market is crazy, and I’m not immune from crazy, but I try and do research.

I’m pretty excited it’s coming my way.

Here’s another one I grabbed. It’s a Susskind from 1885 for $36.

The universe works in funny ways.

19D59239-16E2-4E91-A3FE-FDDEAADAA04D.jpeg

Dec 10, 2013
I’m the new owner. I did the research on Dublin and London, looked through its current condition and put out my price. I’ll post it when I get it cleaned up.

The Estate market is crazy, and I’m not immune from crazy, but I try and do research.

I’m pretty excited it’s coming my way.

View attachment 89878
Congrats, that is a spiffy pipe !
I love old Brit wood and we would love to see the pictures once the pipe is refurbished !

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013

View attachment 89878

That's a great deal, congratulations! And another wonderfully obscure participant in London's late Victorian pipe trade.

Your pipe was imported and silverwork added by a business started by two brothers, Joseph and Sigmund Suskind (only one "s"), who were originally from Kirchheimbolanden in what was then part of Bavaria. In all available materials (directories, censuses, naturalization papers) they are listed as importers and fancy goods dealers as opposed to manufacturers. As near as I can tell they arrived in London some time in the late 1870s. Styled "Suskind Brothers", the business in its earliest years was located first at 85 Hatton Garden in London (1880), then 33 Hatton Garden (1885) and 12 Edmund Place (1890) before settling at 24 City Road (1900-1910) for the remaining years of its existence.

Joseph (1852-1909) married before emigrating to the UK. HIs wife, Ottilie (1858-1919) was likewise a native of Germany and survived him by about a decade. Together Joseph and Ottilie had three daughters, two of whom survived to maturity. In the 1911 census the widowed Ottilie is listed as being in the fancy goods trade so presumably she continued to operate the business for a few years after her husband died, but she must have sold or shut it fairly quickly since it disappears from city directories by 1915.

Sigmund (1855-1905) married after arriving in London. His wife, Sabine Schwab (1862-1922), was also from Bavaria and together they had one late-life child, Benjamin Emmanuel Suskind (1901-1976). Benjamin was an engineer and uninvolved in the business; hardly surprising since it appears to have dissolved while he was still a child. There are strong indications, by the way, that Sigmund went first to America and became a naturalized citizen here before moving on to London to join his brother.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
That's a great deal, congratulations! And another wonderfully obscure participant in London's late Victorian pipe trade.

Your pipe was imported and silverwork added by a business started by two brothers, Joseph and Sigmund Suskind (only one "s"), who were originally from Kirchheimbolanden in what was then part of Bavaria. In all available materials (directories, censuses, naturalization papers) they are listed as importers and fancy goods dealers as opposed to manufacturers. As near as I can tell they arrived in London some time in the late 1870s. Styled "Suskind Brothers", the business in its earliest years was located first at 85 Hatton Garden in London (1880), then 33 Hatton Garden (1885) and 12 Edmund Place (1890) before settling at 24 City Road (1900-1910) for the remaining years of its existence.

Joseph (1852-1909) married before emigrating to the UK. HIs wife, Ottilie (1858-1919) was likewise a native of Germany and survived him by about a decade. Together Joseph and Ottilie had three daughters, two of whom survived to maturity. In the 1911 census the widowed Ottilie is listed as being in the fancy goods trade so presumably she continued to operate the business for a few years after her husband died, but she must have sold or shut it fairly quickly since it disappears from city directories by 1915.

Sigmund (1855-1905) married after arriving in London. His wife, Sabine Schwab (1862-1922), was also from Bavaria and together they had one late-life child, Benjamin Emmanuel Suskind (1901-1976). Benjamin was an engineer and uninvolved in the business; hardly surprising since it appears to have dissolved while he was still a child. There are strong indications, by the way, that Sigmund went first to America and became a naturalized citizen here before moving on to London to join his brother.
You never cease to amaze me!!! Thank you.

Dec 10, 2013
My awaited pipe has not yet arrived. The tracking got stuck with customs and the pipe is probably lost in the mail Seller is helpful and starts an investigation with Royal Mail .
Weep for me my faithful friends .
Seller sent Royal Mail a chaser mail, but the pipe is considered lost.
A full refund was forwarded at once. Hats off to this most helpful the seller ; nevertheless it gives me a heartache.