PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

oldbriars

Lurker
May 9, 2021
Japan
yeoldebriars.com
Hello guys.
This is my first post on the forum.

I came across sablebrush52's post about Barling Duostem when I was searching info about this pipe, and I think I can add some more info.

I can't remember when I acquired this pipe because my focus is on Pre-Trans Barlings. I think I acquied It about 10yrs ago and it was in a lot auction or something.
and I've never noticed this pipe has "spliced" shank until I read sablebrush52's post. quite interesting piece in Barling's history.

Thanks for reading!

DSC_0512.JPGDSC_0515.JPGDSC_0516.JPG

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
On its way to me is this sweet 1965 Dunhill shell 42 dublin pipe.
The shape is not often seen and the Dunhill craftsmen mastered the dublin almost as good as the Charatan carvers did.
Watch the delicate and consistent, yet defined blast . It shows many birdseyes on the sides of the bowl,
while the front and the back show nice cross and straight grain. I believe this one not to be algerian briar anymore and I much appreciate Dunhill's pipes from the fifties and sixties. It looks to be in fine condition
and will clean up nicely. Because of England now being back into the "splendid isolation " customs will charge me
lavishly . Thank you for that my Briton friends :)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
On its way to me is this sweet 1965 Dunhill shell 42 dublin pipe.
The shape is not often seen and the Dunhill craftsmen mastered the dublin almost as good as the Charatan carvers did.
Watch the delicate and consistent, yet defined blast . It shows many birdseyes on the sides of the bowl,
while the front and the back show nice cross and straight grain. I believe this one not to be algerian briar anymore and I much appreciate Dunhill's pipes from the fifties and sixties. It looks to be in fine condition
and will clean up nicely. Because of England now being back into the "splendid isolation " customs will charge me
lavishly . Thank you for that my Briton friends :)

You did well!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Here's an interesting Comoy's 150th anniversary set with literature (BIN, Japanese literature).
I can't recall seeing a set like this, from 1975, if I did, it was a quite a long time ago.

1624794315084.png

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Reactions: orlandofurioso
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Thank you gentlemen , comments are welcome.
Jesse; I'm full well aware you are not really a Dunhill man, but will it pass ?
Please share your thoughts.
What's not to like? The condition appears to be excellent. It's an elegant shape. The blast is not the craggy sort of the early Dunhill blasts but is still visually interesting with a compact pattern. It's from a good period for Dunhill. And you got it for around 100 Euro, so where's the downside unless there's some unknown that appears after you received the pipe.
I've owned a number of Dunhills and still have a few. Unfortunately most of mine came from the 1970's when the quality seems to have slipped to that of a bad basket pipe, at least the pipes I picked up. My Dunhills from earlier periods are quite good.

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Here is one that has me shaking my head. 2 bidders went crazy!

A Comoy's Blue Riband Flame Grain billiard fetched over $1000 last month ! I didn't think the grain on that pipe warranted the price. Imagine what a Specimen Straight Grain will fetch in today's market.

Some of the auction prices have been OTT since the start of Covid

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
A Comoy's Blue Riband Flame Grain billiard fetched over $1000 last month ! I didn't think the grain on that pipe warranted the price. Imagine what a Specimen Straight Grain will fetch in today's market.

Some of the auction prices have been OTT since the start of Covid

Holy moly! Thats it, I’m going to start forging finding Blue Ribands and selling them on eBay.

Reactions: OzPiper

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
I have a 1950s Specimen Straight Grain. Took a long time to find it, I passed on a few, I was patient in what was looking for, but over1k? Wow. Hard to say if this this a high point, or will this crash. Or maybe As a point where these old Britt wood pipes become more sought after and prices do nothing but climb? I honestly don’t know.

Reactions: OzPiper

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Some interesting auctions ended this evening.

1961 Dunhill Shell Bulldog (and my birthyear...)
I was just a spectator,but it went bit higher than I had anticipated.

Comoys 284 - Bought by Treasurepipes (he has the same Ebay rating numbers as the winner of this auction) at a pretty decent price - look for him to double his cost later this year on a restore & resale. It's in very good shape, an easy restoration. Nomenclature is a bit faded.

GBD Table pipe with replacement hookah stem, went higher than I anticipated. I'm not sure who made these, but they apparently branded them to suit.

• Wow
Reactions: dcon and jguss

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Some interesting auctions ended this evening.

1961 Dunhill Shell Bulldog (and my birthyear...)
I was just a spectator,but it went bit higher than I had anticipated.

Comoys 284 - Bought by Treasurepipes (he has the same Ebay rating numbers as the winner of this auction) at a pretty decent price - look for him to double his cost later this year on a restore & resale. It's in very good shape, an easy restoration. Nomenclature is a bit faded.

GBD Table pipe with replacement hookah stem, went higher than I anticipated. I'm not sure who made these, but they apparently branded them to suit.

The 1961 Shell P is a beaut; I’m sure the price was determined by a couple of bidders determined to get an unusual birth year trophy. I have one just like it from 1959.

Reactions: LotusEater and dcon

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
A couple of hours ago a Comoys Specimen Straight Grain went for slightly more than half of some recent Blue Ribbons
Go figure !
I wasn't in the market as I already have a few Selected Straight Grains
at a fraction the cost.

Reactions: LotusEater