PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I watched the auction and contemplated bidding, but it ended beyond my reach.
Nice pipe though. Congrats to the winner; please step forward if you are a forum member :)
Another member asked me about that pipe. My reply,

"My short answer.

I could maybe believe that relatively short stinger, it's just everything else about the pipe that looks wrong, or at least raises questions!"

The genuine article can be seen here,

Instant Sasieni One Dot Specially Selected Collection :: British Pipes - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/instant-sasieni-one-dot-specially-selected-collection.55370/

I advised on the sale of the Specially Selected pipe in the above thread, it was sold for $1200.

Reactions: orlandofurioso
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Another member asked me about that pipe. My reply,

"My short answer.

I could maybe believe that relatively short stinger, it's just everything else about the pipe that looks wrong, or at least raises questions!"

The genuine article can be seen here,

Instant Sasieni One Dot Specially Selected Collection :: British Pipes - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/instant-sasieni-one-dot-specially-selected-collection.55370/

I advised on the sale of the Specially Selected pipe in the above thread, it was sold for $1200.
Hi Dave,
Please elaborate ; what are you thought about this particular pipe ?
To me the stem looks "odd" or at least to be upside down on the shank .
The nomenclature is weak.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Hi Dave,
Please elaborate ; what are you thought about this particular pipe ?
To me the stem looks "odd" or at least to be upside down on the shank .
The nomenclature is weak.
Issues:
1. the finish of the pipe, and the relatively unimpressive grain, remember Sasieni had just begun directly competing with Dunhill during this period (Double One Dot 1923~4).
2. beveled rim?
3. Collegiate?
4. stem fitment...it could be upside down (this seller doesn't know how to properly fit a stem to a pipe?!?!)
5. why isn't the stinger properly fitted into the tenon?
6. the dots look too small.
7. the dots look too blue.
8. I want to see the slot.

Not a pipe I would bid on.

I was going to ask why you thought so, but @orlandofurioso beat me to it. Good that I dodged a bullet. Some of the things you mentioned I attributed to the general poor quality of this sellers photos.

Issues:
1. the finish of the pipe, and the relatively unimpressive grain, remember Sasieni had just begun directly competing with Dunhill during this period (Double One Dot 1923~4).
2. beveled rim?
3. Collegiate?
4. stem fitment...it could be upside down (this seller doesn't know how to properly fit a stem to a pipe?!?!)
5. why isn't the stinger properly fitted into the tenon?
6. the dots look too small.
7. the dots look too blue.
8. I want to see the slot.

Not a pipe I would bid on.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I like the Comoy table pipe. These were quite the rage in the 1920's and this is one of the nicest examples I've seen. The cord and mouthpiece are either replacements or the cord is a replacement. Condition is way too minty to be 100 years old. I've seen other table pipes go for around this same amount of money. The bidding pattern is familiar, another dumb ass sniper swoops in from the financial stratosphere to claim the win, bidding close to 4 times what is showing at that moment, and crashes into a brick wall. The winning bidder had put in earlier what he was willing to spend and walked away.

The 151 is a bit of a duel. the winning bidder upped his original bid by a marginal amount in response to a determined "creeper".
This pipe shows some significant rounding at the edges of the shank and the stem because they were buffed separately. It does seem a bit of a steep price, but I haven't seen much in the way of Old Bruyere or Prima pipes in quite a while.

The Sasieni does have some interesting elements. Line up on the stem to shank is off. The stinger design isn't familiar to me, but I don't know if there's anything more significant to that than my lack of knowledge. I'm actually surprised that it didn't do better. Double one dots almost never show up.
Bidding shows three active bidders in the final few seconds and I'd bet there's a bot or two involved.

I like the Comoy table pipe. These were quite the rage in the 1920's and this is one of the nicest examples I've seen. The cord and mouthpiece are either replacements or the cord is a replacement. Condition is way too minty to be 100 years old. I've seen other table pipes go for around this same amount of money. The bidding pattern is familiar, another dumb ass sniper swoops in from the financial stratosphere to claim the win, bidding close to 4 times what is showing at that moment, and crashes into a brick wall. The winning bidder had put in earlier what he was willing to spend and walked away.

The 151 is a bit of a duel. the winning bidder upped his original bid by a marginal amount in response to a determined "creeper".
This pipe shows some significant rounding at the edges of the shank and the stem because they were buffed separately. It does seem a bit of a steep price, but I haven't seen much in the way of Old Bruyere or Prima pipes in quite a while.

The Sasieni does have some interesting elements. Line up on the stem to shank is off. The stinger design isn't familiar to me, but I don't know if there's anything more significant to that than my lack of knowledge. I'm actually surprised that it didn't do better. Double one dots almost never show up.
Bidding shows three active bidders in the final few seconds and I'd bet there's a bot or two involved.
This was the third double one dot I was following (Second after I added it to my future wishlist). The first one went for $200 but seller misrepresented it as a Two Dot. The second one was pristine cased example and went for $ 900. This one, I saw two defects which Dave saw (The stem fit is irregular, quality of the finish). I still bid a competitive amount, which was not good enough. Dave saw a bunch of other defects (so did you) so I am glad I lost this one!

jeremiah

Lurker
Jul 14, 2017
I'm pretty certain that Comoy's Old Bruyere is the exact pipe sold recently by Marty Pulvers for a much more realistic price, $135.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm pretty certain that Comoy's Old Bruyere is the exact pipe sold recently by Marty Pulvers for a much more realistic price, $135.

Hah! Good catch! It is the same pipe. Looks like Rodrigo is trolling online sites looking for bargains.

Kottan

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
I have also followed the auction. A very nice pipe with 360 straight grain (bowl) and birdseye rim/downside shank). As far as I can tell from the pictures it is in very good condition. No dents, scratches, the nomenclature is crisp.The stem is original and still has the CP logo and patent number (faint). I estimate it is from 1965-6.

The previous owner seems to have been a cake lover. But because of the cake, it can be said that it has not been restored. I knew it would fetch a high price, so I didn't bid on it in the first place. Because of my PAD, it is quite good that some US sellers do not ship to Europe.

However, I was wondering about this....This pipe was offered as new and unsmoked and at the same time as lightly smoked....???

According to the fifth picture, the shank was sanded down. A few letters are missing.

Charatan"s Make Supreme Estate pipe lightly smoked | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Charatan-s-Make-Supreme-Estate-pipe-lightly-smoked/184625944321

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
I have also followed the auction. A very nice pipe with 360 straight grain (bowl) and birdseye rim/downside shank). As far as I can tell from the pictures it is in very good condition. No dents, scratches, the nomenclature is crisp.The stem is original and still has the CP logo and patent number (faint). I estimate it is from 1965-6.

The previous owner seems to have been a cake lover. But because of the cake, it can be said that it has not been restored. I knew it would fetch a high price, so I didn't bid on it in the first place. Because of my PAD, it is quite good that some US sellers do not ship to Europe.

However, I was wondering about this....This pipe was offered as new and unsmoked and at the same time as lightly smoked....???

According to the fifth picture, the shank was sanded down. A few letters are missing.

Charatan"s Make Supreme Estate pipe lightly smoked | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Charatan-s-Make-Supreme-Estate-pipe-lightly-smoked/184625944321
As you noticed; seller listed it as being unsmoked , in the describtion as lightly smoked.
Why sand down the shank of an unsmoked pipe I wonder ?
Maybe he put one and one together :)

Reactions: Kottan

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Some interesting Charatans ended tonight, for big bucks. This Brooklyn NY based seller continues to list some pretty rare pipes. I wonder from what NY estate these were from? (need to ask Lou)

Unsmoked Coronation, only 9 bids, but $1275 outcome. Pretty amazing pipe.

1611716539024.png

Another weird figural, but collectors seem to know something I don't. Nobody every accused me of good taste...$1,636

1611716667315.png

americaman

May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Reactions: jpmcwjr

ChuckMijo

Sep 26, 2020
Can someone explain why this 1993 Ashton went for so much?

Can someone explain why this 1993 Ashton went for so much?

My guess would be it’s a early Bill Taylor era, and the condition is Mint. Add those 2 together.

Reactions: cshubhra