PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Deadman’s pipes always has the best on the bay, IMO. What I like about this pipe is that it is not restored to mint at all costs but was left original in every way which meant that the dings and dents of time and slight rim darkening, although restored to a wonderful condition, were left instead of sanding and refinishing and destroying the integrity of a 100 year old pipe like so many others may do to try and get more money which rarely works out anyways.
The bidding history on this one is interesting in the the winner so obviously wanted it that he upped his maximum bid amount about 5 time at the end, after being outbid a few times, just to nail it down. The pipe went for a goodly amount.

Reactions: jguss and Papamique

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
I beg to differ.
I find his offerings overly shiny and over-buffed, with evidence of some being topped.
But his offerings consistently bring high prices.
So there must be a lot out there who like his work and prepared to shell out for them
So who am I to criticise :rolleyes:
Yup. No problem. You can differ even if you’re wrong. ?

I have never got a pipe from him and thought “damn this thing is too shiny”. It may just be reflections or maybe difference in opinion. Either way the shine is gone off ALL my pipes in a week or so.

I agree that his pipes command some of the highest prices as he does have some true collectors with deeper pockets than me not only bidding but buying repeatedly from him.

I think that speaks volumes but again, you are always welcome to a different opinion.

Full disclosure: I didn’t win this pipe but congratulations to whomever did.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I think that Todd just does a very careful polishing job to get that wet look. I can get that same look without a buffer, just by using a microcrystaline carnuba based wax and hand rubbing it. The rest is lighting and maybe a bit of a contrast boost to the images. After a couple of bowls the shine will lose a little of its gloss.

Rpink53

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 31, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA
I've bought a pipe from Deadmans and look forward to his postings each week. Best offerings around. Look at this Peterson wow:

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Deadman’s pipes always has the best on the bay, IMO. What I like about this pipe is that it is not restored to mint at all costs but was left original in every way which meant that the dings and dents of time and slight rim darkening, although restored to a wonderful condition, were left instead of sanding and refinishing and destroying the integrity of a 100 year old pipe like so many others may do to try and get more money which rarely works out anyways.
I'll be honest it looks "wet", it reminds me of a caramel apple, like it would be sticky to touch.

• Haha
Reactions: OzPiper

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Yup. No problem. You can differ even if you’re wrong. ?

I have never got a pipe from him and thought “damn this thing is too shiny”. It may just be reflections or maybe difference in opinion. Either way the shine is gone off ALL my pipes in a week or so.

I agree that his pipes command some of the highest prices as he does have some true collectors with deeper pockets than me not only bidding but buying repeatedly from him.

I think that speaks volumes but again, you are always welcome to a different opinion.

Full disclosure: I didn’t win this pipe but congratulations to whomever did.
I have and I’ve had his dating be an issue.

But as far as eBay, he’s top notch.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
I beg to differ.
I find his offerings overly shiny and over-buffed, with evidence of some being topped.
But his offerings consistently bring high prices.
So there must be a lot out there who like his work and prepared to shell out for them
So who am I to criticise :rolleyes:
Actually, when I was watching & bidding on the Dunhill LC, I did think that the bowl, in spite of being Shell Briar, was very shiny. At the time I just thought it was lighting, etc. but thinking on what you said and re-looking at it, you could be right.
BTW what do you mean by "topping"?

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
I think that Todd just does a very careful polishing job to get that wet look. I can get that same look without a buffer, just by using a microcrystaline carnuba based wax and hand rubbing it. The rest is lighting and maybe a bit of a contrast boost to the images. After a couple of bowls the shine will lose a little of its gloss.
But in reply to my previous post, what Sablebrush says also rings true.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
BTW what do you mean by "topping"?
As in removing/sanding a bit off the rim of the bowl to remove or minimise dings, burn/scorch marks or unevenness

A difference in staining between the bowl and rim or a perfectly smooth or flat rim in an otherwise "old" OR sandblast/rusticated stummel (some sandblasted or rusticated bowls can have smooth rims) are giveaway signs

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
As in removing/sanding a bit off the rim of the bowl to remove or minimise dings, burn/scorch marks or unevenness

A difference in staining between the bowl and rim or a perfectly smooth or flat rim in an otherwise "old" OR sandblast/rusticated stummel (some sandblasted or rusticated bowls can have smooth rims) are giveaway signs
Appreciate it, bud! ?

Reactions: OzPiper

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Nice to know that use and time ameliorates that excessive shine.

Perhaps its just an excessive reaction to having to "spit&polish" my school shoes all those years ago until they achieved a mirror shine (or be docked my pocket money) - an almost impossible task for most teenagers where scuffed footwear are the norm :rolleyes:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There are a few eBay sellers who do Botox and surgery on their products and I would be hesitant to buy their little beauties, but I don't get that impression with Todd's stuff. With the exception of the high gloss look I've seen little evidence of major reconstruction.

I've also seen a number of his "befores" when he's contacted me for information. He's choosy about the condition of what he buys to sell.

Topping can be an issue, especially if it's badly done, which is any topping that you can tell is a topping. I have no objection to it if it's done discreetly to improve the looks and functionality of a pipe, and I've had it done to a couple of my pipes that could benefit from it. But it was done so that the topping looked consistent with the general level of wear of the rest of the pipe. It's invisible.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013

I’ve only bought a couple of pipes from Todd but Jesse’s post exactly reflects my experience. The pipe in person was much less “wet” than it appeared in the photos, and usage (ie warmth from burning tobacco and the palm of the hand) took care of most of the rest. Todd has great inventory and I wouldn’t hesitate to buy from him again if he had something I wanted. Having said that like many people here I already have a superfluity of pipes.

Toast

Feb 15, 2021
UK
I was keeping an eye on that as the shaping really appealed to me. I also thought the alignment looked off & wondered if it was because of the crack & could be fixed by banding. Thankfully it went for far more than my maximum, so no need to find out!

Puffaluffaguss

Jul 30, 2021
The City Different

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Wonder how I missed this one. The fit and the bend are off. I wonder if a previous owner tried to bend the stem and did it attached to the shank, which would certainly cause it to crack. Might have been from another pipe, hard to know. Something that far off in alignment wouldn't have made it out of the shop.

The price is very high, given condition. But, I've seen some very high prices paid, like over a grand for a 1962 unsmoked Barling that sold a week or two ago.

I'll have to consult my 150th Anniversary Catalog to see if there's a picture of this model.

Reactions: peregrinus