PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
For at least a few of us the auction of the week was Todd's 1929 Dunhill LC--which almost instantly attracted bids early in the game to the tune of $700, climbed to $1000 this morning, and in a fiery sniping battle finished at an impressive $3110 (plus tax).

Attachments

• s-l1600-9.jpg
    s-l1600-9.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 2
  • s-l1600-6.jpg
    s-l1600-6.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 2

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This cased Barling set hit its limit very quickly and then just sat for the rest of the week. It's a nice set, one that I would have liked to own, but given the condition of the stems, not at this price. Still, it's a very interesting set that can be dated fairly precisely despite there being no hallmarks.

Guess what year this was made. I'll tell you my conclusion and why after someone else has tried to date it.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
A couple of interesting auctions this weekend;

Mark Irwin sold this Eire-era 999 that, curiously in an Author shape. I've never seen a 999 in this shape.

And yet another GBD with ornate silver work and fitted case.

I was confused by the 999—I had always thought the designation was for a Rhodesian.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
For at least a few of us the auction of the week was Todd's 1929 Dunhill LC--which almost instantly attracted bids early in the game to the tune of $700, climbed to $1000 this morning, and in a fiery sniping battle finished at an impressive $3110 (plus tax).

Yes, most certainly a nice pipe.
" Sanity is waisted on the sane "

Dec 10, 2013
This cased Barling set hit its limit very quickly and then just sat for the rest of the week. It's a nice set, one that I would have liked to own, but given the condition of the stems, not at this price. Still, it's a very interesting set that can be dated fairly precisely despite there being no hallmarks.

Guess what year this was made. I'll tell you my conclusion and why after someone else has tried to date it.

Very nice set and I watched this one. To my eye the stems look very agreeable and this did not put me off.
By the looks of it an original cased set ; to me this matters a lot.
My ( not so ) educated guess : in the ballpark of 1950 .
The US patentnr . 98046 ran from 1936-1949.
Barling Design 1950-1962 .
I love this set.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Very nice set and I watched this one. To my eye the stems look very agreeable and this did not put me off.
By the looks of it an original cased set ; to me this matters a lot.
My ( not so ) educated guess : in the ballpark of 1950 .
The US patentnr . 98046 ran from 1936-1949.
Barling Design 1950-1962 .
I love this set.
Your observation and reasoning are spot on! The year, though turns out to be 1951, probably during the 1st half of the year. Jguss spotted the change through a series of advertisements in early 1951 which first show the Reg'd number then switch to Barling DESIGN, so this was a 15 year registration that ended in May of 1951.

Dec 10, 2013
Your observation and reasoning are spot on! The year, though turns out to be 1951, probably during the 1st half of the year. Jguss spotted the change through a series of advertisements in early 1951 which first show the Reg'd number then switch to Barling DESIGN, so this was a 15 year registration that ended in May of 1951.
Very smart, very sophisticated observation :)

Reactions: sablebrush52
Dec 10, 2013
Actually I've never seen
Actually I've never seen a cased set in which two pipes with different stem stamps,
quaint and intriguing. And that is what we desire, not ?

• Love
Reactions: sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Actually I've never seen

Actually I've never seen a cased set in which two pipes with different stem stamps,
quaint and intriguing. And that is what we desire, not ?
Yep, and I was sorely tempted to bid on this set for this specific reason. But higher reason prevailed. The set went for a fair amount. I don't need it.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea

Ah yes! I came across it on Friday night, thought I'd throw my bid in, was leading the bidding until the last few hours. Woke up to join the bidding and was again winning until it just went crazy.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This Family Era Barling bulldog went for a respectable amount:

The condition is pretty good, though the stem logo has all but worn away and there is rim darkening. On the plus side, the stem is clean, the button crisp, surfaces are crisp in general, there's no "rounding" of the stem from incompetent buffing where it butts up against the shank. It's overall a pretty nice example.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
On the "bargain of the week" end of things, this Barling billiard went for the relative pittance of $110.50. Yes, there's a curious channel that suggests it once had a now missing sterling band. But looking at the image of the rim and chamber suggests that this pipe is either unsmoked or nearly so. That's clean wood showing on the chamber walls.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
This Family Era Barling bulldog went for a respectable amount:

The condition is pretty good, though the stem logo has all but worn away and there is rim darkening. On the plus side, the stem is clean, the button crisp, surfaces are crisp in general, there's no "rounding" of the stem from incompetent buffing where it butts up against the shank. It's overall a pretty nice example.

I like the 86; a nice rendition of an iconic shape.

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
Deadman’s pipes always has the best on the bay, IMO. What I like about this pipe is that it is not restored to mint at all costs but was left original in every way which meant that the dings and dents of time and slight rim darkening, although restored to a wonderful condition, were left instead of sanding and refinishing and destroying the integrity of a 100 year old pipe like so many others may do to try and get more money which rarely works out anyways.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Deadman’s pipes always has the best on the bay, IMO. What I like about this pipe is that it is not restored to mint at all costs but was left original in every way which meant that the dings and dents of time and slight rim darkening, although restored to a wonderful condition, were left instead of sanding and refinishing and destroying the integrity of a 100 year old pipe like so many others may do to try and get more money which rarely works out anyways.
I beg to differ.
I find his offerings overly shiny and over-buffed, with evidence of some being topped.
But his offerings consistently bring high prices.
So there must be a lot out there who like his work and prepared to shell out for them
So who am I to criticise :rolleyes:

• Love
Reactions: TheIronMonkey