Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm surprised this one didn't go over $600 - a very rare and highly sought after Comoy's shape in Blue Riband grade. I've never seen a 284 Blue Riband. Not restored, perhaps that held back the winning bid.

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
I'm surprised this one didn't go over $600 - a very rare and highly sought after Comoy's shape in Blue Riband grade. I've never seen a 284 Blue Riband. Not restored, perhaps that held back the winning bid.

I guess it was just not old enough..few years back the one from 30s sold for 900+ or maybe even over 1000$..And it was not a BRiband but De luxe

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
The Peterson morta Patent has been kind of a white whale for me, but I couldn't keep up with the bidding on this one that just ended. Also, I don't think the stem is original;still, it's the only one I've seen on ebay in the three years I've been looking for it:

VINTAGE SMOKING K&P PETERSON'S PIPE Patent IRELAND Shamrock HAND CARVED N50 PR | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/354123674517

s-l1600.jpg

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Here's another coveted shape (by Pete fans), the 9BC. This one in Sterling, rare for this shape.

It's rare for me when the same seller has two pipes I've been searching for, ending within 20 seconds of one another. I have two of the Shamrock 9BC's, but the Sterling Silver ones have always gone crazy high. I thought the price on this one was reasonable, but he didn't show pics of the rim or inside of the bowl, so won't know until it arrives.

I'm sure you're right about the rarity of the Silver 9BC, but I've seen three or four of them in the last two years, and only noticed four Shamrocks. It's hard to say what that means, but there had to be a lot more Shamrocks manufactured.

Reactions: NC TX ID pipeman

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
This small lot went for £80 as best offer. I’m kicking myself I didn’t place a starting to bid to let it go to auction. Oh well, hopefully one of you Pete freaks for a good score!

Holy crap - theres' a patent at the bottom!!!!! I've been watching Petersons on ebay all morning, and somehow missed this :(

• Sad
Reactions: Ahi Ka

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Giving it a closer look, I seriously doubt the stem is original, so you'd be making an offer based on an 1897 bowl.

But at this point I'd rather forget you ever posted the link! :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Ahi Ka

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
It's rare for me when the same seller has two pipes I've been searching for, ending within 20 seconds of one another. I have two of the Shamrock 9BC's, but the Sterling Silver ones have always gone crazy high. I thought the price on this one was reasonable, but he didn't show pics of the rim or inside of the bowl, so won't know until it arrives.

I'm sure you're right about the rarity of the Silver 9BC, but I've seen three or four of them in the last two years, and only noticed four Shamrocks. It's hard to say what that means, but there had to be a lot more Shamrocks manufactured.
Congratulations! I think well spent for a collector (not as much for a flipper) I'm glad that I didn't compete against you.

Reactions: runscott

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Congratulations! I think well spent for a collector (not as much for a flipper) I'm glad that I didn't compete against you.

Thanks - you would probably have won, as I paid about what my ceiling bid was. If this one cleans up nicely I'll probably put one of my Shamrocks up for sale.

The other day I woke up at 3:30 in the morning when the paper was delivered, and stumbled upon this 02 'narrow' - also a somewhat rare Peterson:

SHAMROCK by PETERSON OOM PAUL #02 Made in Ireland Smooth Finish P Lip Stem | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/255602359150

s-l1600.jpg

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
This seller had three Peterson bowls end this morning. The 1900 and 1902 were both 1902's, and the 1915 was actually an 1898. I had snipes in on two of them, but then noticed 'Global Shipping'. I contacted her and she said that that is the only way they would ship;i.e-Pitney Bowes would swipe them upon arrival at the Global Shipping Center. Bummer.

1898 Peterson Patent bowl

Here is the 1898 bowl:

s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: captainsousie

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
This seller had three Peterson bowls end this morning. The 1900 and 1902 were both 1902's, and the 1915 was actually an 1898. I had snipes in on two of them, but then noticed 'Global Shipping'. I contacted her and she said that that is the only way they would ship;i.e-Pitney Bowes would swipe them upon arrival at the Global Shipping Center. Bummer.

1898 Peterson Patent bowl

Here is the 1898 bowl:

View attachment 154158
Did you mention to her that there is a big chance the pipes will get confiscated and she still did not want to ship by different mail options? I wish Peterson has started making beautiful shapes like this again...