PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Sasieni prices seem to be holding up well.

Early Four Dot Paent

One Dot Rustic (sold by former forum member)

That's an impressive price on the 4 dot patent that was sold by Macy''s department store. I don't get it, but I don't have to. Clearly several bidders were willing to go where no man has gone before.

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
Although I do sometimes nurse a cold spark of hope that one day I might come up an actual "swan neck" Dunhill L.C. in sound original condition--Ideally from the mid-1920s, obviously in "shell," or perhaps, failing this, something spectacularly distinctive like the early 50s Tanshell that MKELAW Pipes had on offer last year. Even at a bargain price, cost would unfortunately be a sore point.

So, I was thoroughly intrigued to spot a handsome example of quite an early Ashton EXL bent--which is to say one of Dunhill's veteran carver's take on the LC shape, but one in "Old Church" (Bill's name for Tanshell). Needless to say, I was more than slightly astonished, and pretty pleased to have won the auction.

Not quite an LC of my own. But more than likely as close as I may get for the next few decades.

1992 Ashton LC.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Although I do sometimes nurse a cold spark of hope that one day I might come up an actual "swan neck" Dunhill L.C. in sound original condition--Ideally from the mid-1920s, obviously in "shell," or perhaps, failing this, something spectacularly distinctive like the early 50s Tanshell that MKELAW Pipes had on offer last year. Even at a bargain price, cost would unfortunately be a sore point.

So, I was thoroughly intrigued to spot a handsome example of quite an early Ashton EXL bent--which is to say one of Dunhill's veteran carver's take on the LC shape, but one in "Old Church" (Bill's name for Tanshell). Needless to say, I was more than slightly astonished, and pretty pleased to have won the auction.

Not quite an LC of my own. But more than likely as close as I may get for the next few decades.

View attachment 138452
Congratulations, well done sir ! Wonderful LC shape and I love his "tanshells". Carved by Bill himself ?
I wonder if all BT era Ashton pipes are carved by him ?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I really loved this one . It fetched good money, little steep to my taste :
Interesting, the seller, McCranies, usually has their pipes way over priced. I'm sure they were pleased with this outcome.

Reactions: orlandofurioso

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I was watching that one - well done!
I guess it is speculative if Bill actually did the work or not. John Eels from the CAPS club used to say he could tell by the style. (I'm not sure if John is still with us)

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
It feels like the market is soft for Comoy's, but this one barely breaking $200, from a mega-seller was surprising. A couple of years ago, I sold several of this shape for over $400. I sold a 2nd line for over $200. This buyer must have been happy.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I had to let this go. Not sure if anyone got it from here? I’d never heard of the tobacconist before, but I thought it was a nice simple set.

• Love
Reactions: orlandofurioso