PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Comoy's Specimen Straight Grain pipes don't come up often, this one did well.

Straight grain only on one flank :(

I have a Selected Straight Grain with much nicer grain all around for a fraction of that price.
The "reject" Comoys is where the value lies.
Unless you are a "collector"

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Wow! Someone really wanted this one!

There was a bidding war going on between two somewhat shady bidders, but at the end a solid bidder took this one.

The pipe is exceptionally large and in exceptional condition though there is something a little odd about the stem, since it doesn't appear to be flattened at the bottom to line up with the flattened bottom of the shank. That may just be a trick of the photography. The blast is pretty good.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Wow! Someone really wanted this one!

There was a bidding war going on between two somewhat shady bidders, but at the end a solid bidder took this one.

The pipe is exceptionally large and in exceptional condition though there is something a little odd about the stem, since it doesn't appear to be flattened at the bottom to line up with the flattened bottom of the shank. That may just be a trick of the photography. The blast is pretty good.
Beautiful piece. But my God, is it worth it?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Beautiful piece. But my God, is it worth it?
It was to the buyer. Barling's of this size are rare as hen's Teeth. I own a wartime Barling with a much deeper blast of about the same size, just an 1/8' of an inch shorter (it's pictured on the Barling Pipedia page) and I paid a pretty good amount for it, though less than half what this one went for. I don't mind because it's one of my best smokers.

When you get into collectors of vintage Britwood there's more involved than just the physical pipe.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
...though there is something a little odd about the stem, since it doesn't appear to be flattened at the bottom to line up with the flattened bottom of the shank.

The stem was de-greened by sanding, and the "corners" of the area that was straight across (that matched the shank exactly) were rounded over/removed.

Some "restorer" wasn't paying attention, in other words. [insert disgusted face]

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
I agree, the stem shows a somewhat overpolished impression and still looks greenish.
Apart from the rounded bottom the stem face looks a little rounded too and the logo possibly had a refill, which I do not so much much mind.
Does Rodrigo himself now spiff up his sales ?
Otherwise very nice, but not for a budget two families could feed on for a month.

Reactions: sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I agree, the stem shows a somewhat overpolished impression and still looks greenish.
Apart from the rounded bottom the stem face looks a little rounded too and the logo possibly had a refill, which I do not so much much mind.
Does Rodrigo himself now spiff up his sales ?
Otherwise very nice, but not for a budget two families could feed on for a month.
All of Rodrigo's photographs have a greenish cast. That's because he doesn't use daylight balanced lighting for his soft tent set up.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This one was interesting to watch. The very collectible 9BC Peterson shape, in a line not often seen. The "Good Health" line was Peterson's first attempt at a filter pipe. They didn't last long, appearing only in the 1946 catalog (per Mark Irwin). The 9BC shape didn't appear in catalogs until the early 1950's and is not considered a "pre-Republic" era shape.

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
This one was interesting to watch. The very collectible 9BC Peterson shape, in a line not often seen. The "Good Health" line was Peterson's first attempt at a filter pipe. They didn't last long, appearing only in the 1946 catalog (per Mark Irwin). The 9BC shape didn't appear in catalogs until the early 1950's and is not considered a "pre-Republic" era shape.

An attractive shape indeed. Mmmm beefy.

The rim looks like it was slightly topped and no longer matches though it will quickly darken and it could just be the lighting too.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
An attractive shape indeed. Mmmm beefy.

The rim looks like it was slightly topped and no longer matches though it will quickly darken and it could just be the lighting too.
The overall dimensions of the 9BC shape vary wildly from pipe to pipe (everyone I've owned is slightly different). So topped, I'm not sure about that. The finish was definitely altered, and not consistent with the rest of the pipe. This would have been a low-grade offering from Peterson, so I was only an observer.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest

Yeah I was watching this too as I've been on the hunt for a 9BC but what I really want is one with a silver band. This was sitting available with a BIN for a while but just couldn't justify the cost right now:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Reactions: AroEnglish

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State

I watched that auction out of curiosity, as I've never seen a 9BC 'Good Health', and as you mention, it seems to pre-date when we thought the 9BC 'arrived'. Still...a lot of money for that pipe IMO, unless you collect oddball Petersons. Mark's dating of the 9BC is based on the Rogers catalog, so it's a very 'soft' earliest date.

Reactions: AroEnglish

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
This went fast. Curious to hear what you guys think. Is the repair covering a patent number, or is this an example of a pre-54 pipe with no number?

There were two of these churchwardens. One had a repair band. I asked the seller for a photo of the top of the stem of the other one, and both actually had the Dunhill dot. Great deal, just not my style of pipe.

This one, on the other hand, was right up my alley - 6" 1925 dublin. Arrived yesterday and finished restoration this morning - original finish, excellent chamber, horrible oxidation. The grain is fabulous. Came with a long inner tube as well.

1925 Dunhill 331 Canadian patent

oWxR30v.jpg

6Tiz1l8.jpg

Znc5kU3.jpg