Incense In The Bathroom: A Generational Divide?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Run bathroom fans forever and smoke in bed.
I only read in bed, my recliner is where my daily three hours of sleep happen. I think they went with a more standardized system with the motors in my home to avoid multiple different parts ordered. I've seen bathroom fans with tiny motors with wires exposed but nothing like that with mine.

Sorry for opining
Never said you were just commenting on how my home wasn't set up with those tiny motors and each room of my home has fire extinguishers and smoke detectors. My furnace and hot water heater are both equipped with carbon monoxide detectors.

Reactions: JOHN72

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Anybody with an exhaust fan needs to put a timer instead of the switch. Those little motors can cause fires.

I’m starting to sound like a nanny. Sorry folks.

Not at all. You have first hand experience of all sorts of stupidity, and knowledge such as the above where you don't have to be a moron to over look exhaust fan problems. Thanks.

Reactions: JOHN72 and Zero
Jan 27, 2020
I'll never forget that episode of Good Times where Janet Jackson started a fire in the apartment from smoking on the sofa.

Reactions: JOHN72

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
1. 1962
2. Shite stinks, just like it did then, just like it does now.
3. Everyone's shite stinks, regardless of who they are, or who they think they are.
4. Shite stinks period, it's supposed to.
5. Going to the bathroom after Dad back in the day, cigarette smoke and the stench of defecation, priceless.
6. All the Old heads know what I'm talking about.

Morsoth

Lurker
Feb 27, 2022
Gatineau, Québec, Canada
1.) year you were born: 1980 (Late Gen-X)
2.) do you have incense or a scented candle in your bathroom? No, but maybe I should!
3.) do you have Norman Rockwell decorative plates hanging anyplace in the house? No!
4.) have you bought sticks of palo santos in the last 12 months? Yes! Not just palo Santo, but all kind of incense. I love resin too. I burn incense in my study most of the time.
5.) have you ever been caught in the supermarket squeezing the stray roll of 89% recycled paper toilet tissue? No, but challenge accepted.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I’m kinda blown away that no one knows what Palo Santo is. For a lot that focuses so heavily on the room notes of certain burning leaves, it only seems fitting that you’d be interested in the different types of woods that can be burnt to give off pleasant aromas, as well.

To be fair, most of the places selling Palo Santo may make you scratch your head, but it doesn’t change the fact that the smoke smells good.

I painted a closet a while back and had a friend recommend it to me as a way to get the paint smell out of the closet faster. I’m not sure it worked as he intended, but it did smell good while it was burning. Enough so that I bought some more of it and use it in place of a candle every now and again.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I’m kinda blown away that no one knows what Palo Santo is. For a lot that focuses so heavily on the room notes of certain burning leaves, it only seems fitting that you’d be interested in the different types of woods that can be burnt to give off pleasant aromas, as well.

To be fair, most of the places selling Palo Santo may make you scratch your head, but it doesn’t change the fact that the smoke smells good.

I painted a closet a while back and had a friend recommend it to me as a way to get the paint smell out of the closet faster. I’m not sure it worked as he intended, but it did smell good while it was burning. Enough so that I bought some more of it and use it in place of a candle every now and again.
So glad to see you back. I always enjoyed your innovative blends.

Reactions: BarrelProof
Jan 27, 2020

Yea, the smell of Palo Santos is otherworldly although most the people who sell it seem to be from another planet.

Last edited:

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
1.) 1980.
2.) No, but use air freshener spray.
3.) No.
4.) No.
5.) No.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
1972. Sometime I fill the bathtub and tell my rubber ducky my sorrows. I don't like the smell of the palo santo, it smells like burning tires, when my sister-in-law comes home, the first thing she does is light her damn sticks in my house, and she starts to do yoga, and some weird exercises that I don't understand at all. But the candles and bath salts, I used to do that when I was single, and some nurses visited me, yes, I think they were nurses.