Incense In The Bathroom: A Generational Divide?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
My parents and grandparents never burned incense of candles in the bathroom after getting down to business and I often thought as a kid while using the bathroom in my grandparents house after one of them that "that's how old people smell" but now that I am older I realize that if it were not for incense or candles burning in the bathroom after more or less anyone using the facilities in a major way the bathroom will have that aurora of what I thought when I was young, was the unavoidable smell of old age. If incense or candles were commonplace in bathrooms when I was a kid I think I would of had a very different perception of certain things related to getting old. If you wouldn't mind participating in my informal survey could you please answer the following:

1.) year you were born
2.) do you have incense or a scented candle in your bathroom?
3.) do you have Norman Rockwell decorative plates hanging anyplace in the house?
4.) have you bought sticks of palo santos in the last 12 months?
5.) have you ever been caught in the supermarket squeezing the stray roll of 89% recycled paper toilet tissue?

I look forward to your answers.

Good day to all
1 I don't remember to be honest. Everyone tells me it was 78 but I don't start remembering anything until the 80's.
2 no no no. I firmly believe that bathroom plus something that is pleasant but does not cover up the scent just makes a new worse scent. I still smell that you blew up the commode and you only made it worse you savage dull sensed fool!!!
3 no First while a decent painter I do have one massive problem with the guy... Not only does he not rock well I don't think he rocks at all. Which may seem like a stupid quibble but I firmly believe that as a society letting that slide is what allowed for Pat Boone. Also I am far too much a minimalist to have decorative plates. Honestly if someone gave me such plates and I couldn't sell them quickly for a some nice change, well they'd quickly be converted into frisbees. Or conversely if I had small children in the house it could be used for their intro to skeet shooting.
4 not only have not bought sticks of Palo santos in any span of months, years, or decades, or even centuries.... I don't know what that is.
5 nope just a few very friendly coworkers ;).

Reactions: JOHN72

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I jested, but I do know what palo santo is, only because Dogfish Head put out a high gravity ale which had been aged in/on palo santo wood.

I was aging some in my beer cellar (...cupboards in my basement), but after trying it and not caring for it, I gave the rest to a friend who loved it.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
My house is over 50 years old and the bathroom has an exhaust fan. Is that no longer a thing?
yes it is still a thing. In fact so much so I am shocked when I am at some ones house and they don't have one. Kind of like the cover scent thing of the original question. Ages doesn't seem like the biggest factor. It seems like it's one of those things that some have or do and some don't whether old or young.
One of my favorite stand up jokes is about exhaust fans. And I can't find the clip right now.

Reactions: JOHN72