Incense In The Bathroom: A Generational Divide?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 27, 2020
My parents and grandparents never burned incense of candles in the bathroom after getting down to business and I often thought as a kid while using the bathroom in my grandparents house after one of them that "that's how old people smell" but now that I am older I realize that if it were not for incense or candles burning in the bathroom after more or less anyone using the facilities in a major way the bathroom will have that aurora of what I thought when I was young, was the unavoidable smell of old age. If incense or candles were commonplace in bathrooms when I was a kid I think I would of had a very different perception of certain things related to getting old. If you wouldn't mind participating in my informal survey could you please answer the following:

1.) year you were born
2.) do you have incense or a scented candle in your bathroom?
3.) do you have Norman Rockwell decorative plates hanging anyplace in the house?
4.) have you bought sticks of palo santos in the last 12 months?
5.) have you ever been caught in the supermarket squeezing the stray roll of 89% recycled paper toilet tissue?

I look forward to your answers.

Good day to all

• Haha
Reactions: JOHN72

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
  1. 1986

2. My wife keeps a Balsam Fir Yankee candle in the bathroom available to house guests (not in our own). I admit to liking the scent, but I wouldn't have bothered with it if she didn't.

3. Nope.

4. Is this like ayahuasca? I stick to tobacco.

5. ALL. THE. TIME.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Now this is exactly why everyone should have a small cellar so you never find yourself without tobacco, waiting for your SmokingPipes order to arrive, your mind racing furiously over … whatever this is. Brother, if the leaf doesn’t show by this evening PM me and I’ll try to rush a packet of Borkum Riff to you STAT! 😂😂😂

Reactions: JOHN72

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
We store powerful scented soap (supposedly a favorite of George Washington, no less) that serves the purpose of incense. My dad used to smoke his pipe in the bathroom which served a similar purpose. I'm a charter member (first year) of the boomer generation, but am also a Vietnam vet which is a different generation by life experience, believe thee me. I occasionally burn incense, even in the bathroom, but not as a regular thing. I've always liked Catholic churches for the incense smell, though I'm not a Catholic, and Taoist temples, on Taiwan for example. I'm slightly hyper-kinetic (move around a lot) so gas doesn't seem to accumulate in me so much -- that's my story and I'm sticking to it. When I used to cover the police blotter as a very young journalist, the desk sergeant claimed that his farts didn't smell, and so far as I know, they didn't.