PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I would first take the time to teach the beginner how to smoke flake tobacco. I would teach the cube cut method and the fold and stuff.
I would then have then try a tin of Capstan Blue Flake for a Virginia, then Escudo for a Virginia/Perique flake and then a tin of Mac Baren Old Dark Fired.

I would make sure they understood how to pack both methods until they were comfortable with them. I would make sure they understood how they should want to get some resistance before lighting their pipe. Not too tight and not too loose. I would explain how the humidity should be like by testing the draw before ever lighting up. I would teach them why too tight is no good and why too loose is no good.
Yes this is the deep end of the pool but I always say go big or go home. Once they have learned these methods, I believe they would be able to get a lot more flavor using these methods than a bowl of Carter Hall and a cob. I never even tried an aromatic until I had smoked a pipe for over a decade. I believe that aromatics are difficult to learn on as they are tough to learn how to load a pipe and I believe they are harder to learn how to get flavor and I think flakes are easier to get the flavors that I enjoy. I know most people think a cob and Carter Hall is the way to start but I didn't learn that way as I was a big cigar smoker when I started and Escudo was the blend that showed me how great a pipe could taste.

My way does take a lot of time but I believe once they have learned these methods, they will get way more flavors in the beginning.
The thought is nice but, this would never work in a ‘real world’ situation. The customer, as olkofri mentioned, would not take to the lecture or the time commitment. I will, also, reiterate the importance of questioning the customer. Your case is an example of a previous cigar smoker and a more “tobacco forward” recommendation would be logical. Despite people’s assertions to the contrary, more folks have come to pipe smoking via OTCs and 1-Q than any other genres combined.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I would first take the time to teach the beginner how to smoke flake tobacco. I would teach the cube cut method and the fold and stuff.
I would then have then try a tin of Capstan Blue Flake for a Virginia, then Escudo for a Virginia/Perique flake and then a tin of Mac Baren Old Dark Fired.

I would make sure they understood how to pack both methods until they were comfortable with them. I would make sure they understood how they should want to get some resistance before lighting their pipe. Not too tight and not too loose. I would explain how the humidity should be like by testing the draw before ever lighting up. I would teach them why too tight is no good and why too loose is no good.
Yes this is the deep end of the pool but I always say go big or go home. Once they have learned these methods, I believe they would be able to get a lot more flavor using these methods than a bowl of Carter Hall and a cob. I never even tried an aromatic until I had smoked a pipe for over a decade. I believe that aromatics are difficult to learn on as they are tough to learn how to load a pipe and I believe they are harder to learn how to get flavor and I think flakes are easier to get the flavors that I enjoy. I know most people think a cob and Carter Hall is the way to start but I didn't learn that way as I was a big cigar smoker when I started and Escudo was the blend that showed me how great a pipe could taste.

My way does take a lot of time but I believe once they have learned these methods, they will get way more flavors in the beginning.
and we are talking a customer that asked for advice, which kind of opens the floor so to speak.

Sam_Gamgee

Lurker
Nov 22, 2020
Portland, Oregon
The thought is nice but, this would never work in a ‘real world’ situation. The customer, as olkofri mentioned, would not take to the lecture or the time commitment. I will, also, reiterate the importance of questioning the customer. Your case is an example of a previous cigar smoker and a more “tobacco forward” recommendation would be logical. Despite people’s assertions to the contrary, more folks have come to pipe smoking via OTCs and 1-Q than any other genres combined.
That was my thought too. But maybe cigrmaster is onto something there: a niche role, a professional guide who thoroughly introduces people to pipe smoking!

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
What would you recommend for a newcomer wanting to try:

-a Virginia?
-a Burley?
-a tobacco you feel everyone should try?

1. Prince Albert, cross out “Burley” and then write “Virginia” on the can in Sharpie
2. Prince Albert
3. Prince Albert
4. If you want aromatics, then: Prince Albert, and distribute small scented candles to bystanders.

It’s tobacco royalty, it’s right there in the name. Accept no substitutes.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Yep, and quite a number of us came to pipes without any previous experience with cigars, or even cigarettes. It would be a year and a half after buying my first pipe and tobacco before I had my first cigar.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
That was my thought too. But maybe cigrmaster is onto something there: a niche role, a professional guide who thoroughly introduces people to pipe smoking!
I believe I could paint a picture of ownership to a new smoker and get them really hot for it in not too much time. If I could sell 12 ft Box trucks, or rack trucks or a plow truck on a 4 wheel drive system what they need in half an hour or less, I think I could do the pipes and keep them very interested.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

What would you recommend for a newcomer wanting to try:

-a Virginia?
-a Burley?
-a tobacco you feel everyone should try?
-Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake or Orlik Golden Sliced (latter having a touch of Perique)
-Amphora Burley or Solani Aged Burley Flake
-Robert Lewis Orcilla Mixture

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, Harris, I believe you could. Even talk them into Mixture 79 as a superb smoke.

PS, Unless the novice smoker specifically asks to sample several types of tobacco, I'd keep him to one and a sample or two, and make an appointment for him to return in a week.

Raylan

Lurker
Nov 16, 2020
Interesting discussion for me as a complete novice. I suddenly find myself with 4 new pipes to break in and a plethora of different tobaccos to try. I have been smoking a already broken in Georg Jensen from an estate, and by now broken in Missouri Meerschaum corn cob.

I did not really enjoy my initial foray with a new pipe and some vanilla borkum riff, much of it my own fault as I messed up my initial pipe packing - too tight and then too loose - and filled the pipe up at first instead of breaking it in. I then started looking for some more educated and informed opinions.

I have since purchased a number of tobaccos from reading a lot and from going through a lot of the reviews on tobaccoreviews.com. Still I obviously know very little about pipe smoking and pipe tobacco. I do know somewhat better how to not pack a pipe, and I do know to slow down, and I do know that I do not like the borkum riff tobacco I bought (I am thinking of just pitching what remains of the one and giving away the unopened pouch of whiskey bourbon).

I do know that I very much enjoyed the GL Pease - Quiet nights in my estate pipe. And have enjoyed some Sutliff Match 20 (reportedly an attempted match of Dunhill - My Mixture 965) in both my corn cob and estate briar.

I am wondering if the Sutliff Match 20 would be a decent choice to break in my new pipes with as I bought some in bulk. It seems to smoke well without many if any relights and it doesn't seem to get too hot, partially because I'm smoking slower. I also liked the Quiet Nights but do not have but 2 tins of it. I assume the Mac Baren HH Rustica Flake would not be an optimun choice for breaking in a pipe. I do have others such a Nightcap. Though I could go out and get something I do not have yet also.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Interesting discussion for me as a complete novice. I suddenly find myself with 4 new pipes to break in and a plethora of different tobaccos to try. I have been smoking a already broken in Georg Jensen from an estate, and by now broken in Missouri Meerschaum corn cob.

I did not really enjoy my initial foray with a new pipe and some vanilla borkum riff, much of it my own fault as I messed up my initial pipe packing - too tight and then too loose - and filled the pipe up at first instead of breaking it in. I then started looking for some more educated and informed opinions.

I have since purchased a number of tobaccos from reading a lot and from going through a lot of the reviews on tobaccoreviews.com. Still I obviously know very little about pipe smoking and pipe tobacco. I do know somewhat better how to not pack a pipe, and I do know to slow down, and I do know that I do not like the borkum riff tobacco I bought (I am thinking of just pitching what remains of the one and giving away the unopened pouch of whiskey bourbon).

I do know that I very much enjoyed the GL Pease - Quiet nights in my estate pipe. And have enjoyed some Sutliff Match 20 (reportedly an attempted match of Dunhill - My Mixture 965) in both my corn cob and estate briar.

I am wondering if the Sutliff Match 20 would be a decent choice to break in my new pipes with as I bought some in bulk. It seems to smoke well without many if any relights and it doesn't seem to get too hot, partially because I'm smoking slower. I also liked the Quiet Nights but do not have but 2 tins of it. I assume the Mac Baren HH Rustica Flake would not be an optimun choice for breaking in a pipe. I do have others such a Nightcap. Though I could go out and get something I do not have yet also.
I break in a pipe with whatever I feel like smoking that day. I never noticed a really big difference to be honest.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Having been a tobacconist in several of my previous incarnations, I will state that there is no rote answer to this question. It is like any other business or sales situation. You must ask the customer questions and qualify him into a particular blend. An aromatic might be the answer to some. An English may be the answer to others. Previous experience, purpose for the tobacco, flavor likes and dislikes, sensitivities, and more lead to a better conclusion. As I have stated many times here before, the greatest disservice we do to new smokers is recommending our favorites.
Bingo. I was formatting in my head a similar response, until I came upon this one. Very well said.

Reactions: dcon and jpmcwjr

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Taking a chance for future sales:
I'd either sell the customer 1/2-ounce samples of all/some bulk-blends in the store....or.... offer the customer a bowlful of any bulk tobacco mixture. I would opt for the first, first.

Reactions: anotherbob

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
A lot of good suggestions here. I think CH is probably a safe bet although when i started so many years ago i found it sort of boring, better than half&half but not very compelling. There were mostly drugstore blends of dubious quality around: paladin, 79, Apple, john Rolfe peach brandy etc. There was early Amphora and i remember liking a now long lost blend called Skallorna. It wasn't until i found 1Q (sold under a name i cannot remember by the C.B. Perkins tobacconist) that i really started to fully enjoy pipesmoking. Soon after i discovered Peretti and a whole new world, especially, Royal and oriental 40 opened up. How i wished i had stored some of the Sobranie tins (white and black) that i bought in those days. Here are a few of other suggestions for a new smoker today: MacBaren Mixture (both Scottish and Modern), any of the 7 Seas blends, and any of the followin Peretti blends: Belmont (burley based light aromatic), British (light English), 432 (peretti self blended 1Q type) and Boston's Best Cavendish (a truly outstanding blend very delicately flavored with honey but which is very much mild tobacco forward).

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Oh man... tough question.

Like Harris, I want to help the new pipe person to become enmeshed in the ritual of pipe preparation and sublime smokes.

Like everyone else, I want repeat business. So while I’d like to recommend Capstan Blue as the Virginia, I cannot. Because Harris and Peck (bless his cotton socks) bought all of it along with Klondike Gold until the stuff that was in production had to have vanilla added to it and was sold as No. 1

So my choice for a Virginia offering is Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake. Does the new pipe smoker need to be taught how to cube cut, load a bowl properly, and be helped along the journey? Yes. I have just the tobacco pouch, drying plate and tamper available on my shelves to help with that. Yes, we have LNF available in bulk. Yes, we can set up a monthly subscription for the piper.

On the Burley front, we’ll stick with flakes, but move into a tinned tobacco. Every new pipe person needs to feel the wealth that comes with accumulation, and nothing builds a cellar faster (visually) than the delightful glint of golden tins. So, for Burleys I’m recommending Solani Aged Burley Flake. A little 656 aged for a few years is guaranteed to hit the mark for big sugars, big smoke, and big nic.

Lastly... the pipe tobacco that everyone needs to try. This is tricky. “I” think everyone needs to try 1792 Flake, but then again I’ve also had pipers I recommended it to ask me if I was trying to kill them.

With a solid Virginia, and a solid Burley, we need a solid Oriental blend. Something for the colder months, with crisp mornings and evenings, and long lingering pipes by a fire with a sweet whiskey.

We don’t need a punch in the face of Cypriot Lat, but we do need that spicey Eastern twang... so... L.J. Peretti’s Oriental #40 fits the bill. It is smooth, delicate, aromatic and flavourful. A perfect accompaniment to winter.

And there they are, three solid choices for the new pipe smoker.

Enjoy!

— Pat

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
^^ Good to see you posting again Pruss!............... When I was a newbie here, your exchanges with Peck and Harris were legendary!!...... Good times!
Wait a minute, I just re-read your post...........
"And there they are, three solid choices for the new pipe smoker"................. and you listed 4........ back to the shenanigans are we?......................... puffy

Reactions: jpmcwjr and pruss

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
^^ Good to see you posting again Pruss!............... When I was a newbie here, your exchanges with Peck and Harris were legendary!!...... Good times!
Wait a minute, I just re-read your post...........
"And there they are, three solid choices for the new pipe smoker"................. and you listed 4........ back to the shenanigans are we?......................... puffy
Ahahahahahaha

I mean, I recommended three blends. I might have, somehow, mentioned six.

— Pat