PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Just messin with ya. I like aromatics too, but... like I said, I'm staying out of this one.

Maybe your right, I'm sure they sell more aromatics due to the fact that they smell good. But do those people come back? or do they suffer tongue bite and throw their churchwarden away?
Yeah, I wasn't upset by your emoji. I wish we could use these emojis in quick succession some times. To go like: :mad: > ? > :LOL:

I was being partly serious, though: from personal experience, it's pretty much guaranteed that a newcomer will be offered an aromatic upon his first visit and that he will walk out with an aro, even if offered other stuff. The whole sale to a newbie is not a straightforward process: when I first visited my tobacconist to buy my first pipe, I came looking for a churchwarden and something that smelled nice. Heck, the first thing the lady behind the counter told me about pipe tobacco was that it was "very expensive"; I almost felt like she was trying to discourage me from the whole experience. I was offered several tobaccos to smell and make my own choice, but yes, they were all aromatics from what I can recall, the first one being Lane's Very Cherry.

You betcha I came back. Burnt tongue and all. Then again, I was determined to make pipe smoking work; I wasn't trying it out and see if it was for me. The old motto, "I don't come to see if I can, but I come because I know I can" was at all times operating in my mind.

It wasn't till subsequent visits that the owner offered me something with latakia, and he recommended Lane's HGL, of which I still have some (yeah, from those 25 g I bought over 3 years ago). He didn't offer virginias at any point; some time later he kinda explained his initial MO when he said that virginias burn hotter and tend to bite—now, this would steer some people off pipe smoking and he'd lose customers, so there's some business savvy there. Ditto burleys: he explained that burley tends to bite (was he ever right!) and I guess that's why he prefers not to offer that to beginners whom he knows will smoke hot initially. Again, I agree with his reasoning: we do puff heartily when starting out. I know the main justification behind offering an English as a starter blend is that it burns cooler: but this is irrelevant to a beginner as he'll sear his tongue no matter what. I know that: I did: I burnt the hell out of my tongue with HGL and other Englishes.

In any case, if I were a tobacconist I'd warn the newcomer that he's very unlikely to taste the tin/jar note, and thus shouldn't be frustrated when what he tastes is not what he smells. I'd also continue to be honest and tell him that over time, it IS mighty possible to taste the fruity/floral/sweet scent of an aromatic. Again, I know this because I do taste what I smell now.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Yeah, I wasn't upset by your emoji. I wish we could use these emojis in quick succession some times. To go like: :mad: > ? > :LOL:

I was being partly serious, though: from personal experience, it's pretty much guaranteed that a newcomer will be offered an aromatic upon his first visit and that he will walk out with an aro, even if offered other stuff. The whole sale to a newbie is not a straightforward process: when I first visited my tobacconist to buy my first pipe, I came looking for a churchwarden and something that smelled nice. Heck, the first thing the lady behind the counter told me about pipe tobacco was that it was "very expensive"; I almost felt like she was trying to discourage me from the whole experience. I was offered several tobaccos to smell and make my own choice, but yes, they were all aromatics from what I can recall, the first one being Lane's Very Cherry.

You betcha I came back. Burnt tongue and all. Then again, I was determined to make pipe smoking work; I wasn't trying it out and see if it was for me. The old motto, "I don't come to see if I can, but I come because I know I can" was at all times operating in my mind.

It wasn't till subsequent visits that the owner offered me something with latakia, and he recommended Lane's HGL, of which I still have some (yeah, from those 25 g I bought over 3 years ago). He didn't offer virginias at any point; some time later he kinda explained his initial MO when he said that virginias burn hotter and tend to bite—now, this would steer some people off pipe smoking and he'd lose customers, so there's some business savvy there. Ditto burleys: he explained that burley tends to bite (was he ever right!) and I guess that's why he prefers not to offer that to beginners whom he knows will smoke hot initially. Again, I agree with his reasoning: we do puff heartily when starting out. I know the main justification behind offering an English as a starter blend is that it burns cooler: but this is irrelevant to a beginner as he'll sear his tongue no matter what. I know that: I did: I burnt the hell out of my tongue with HGL and other Englishes.

In any case, if I were a tobacconist I'd warn the newcomer that he's very unlikely to taste the tin/jar note, and thus shouldn't be frustrated when what he tastes is not what he smells. I'd also continue to be honest and tell him that over time, it IS mighty possible to taste the fruity/floral/sweet scent of an aromatic. Again, I know this because I do taste what I smell now.

Don't stick your tongue out at me.

I really like my aromatics now.. over a year in I'm able to taste them. I guess if they encourage aromatics to a beginner they should at least advise them to: "DRY YOUR AROMATICS THROUGHLY!". The tobacconist should yell to make a deeper impression.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
As a tobacconist, you'd want repeat business, wouldn't you? You can't get that with tobacco that smells like old leather, or stinks of fish: most newcomers buy with their noses.
With aromatics, a new smoker is likely to give up because they usually won't taste what they're smelling and the tobacconist could loose them anyway. My English suggestion was giving them something they could taste and be more user friendly with beginner haphazard technique. I rarely smoke them now and prefer Virginia/Orientals and aromatics.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Having been a tobacconist in several of my previous incarnations, I will state that there is no rote answer to this question. It is like any other business or sales situation. You must ask the customer questions and qualify him into a particular blend. An aromatic might be the answer to some. An English may be the answer to others. Previous experience, purpose for the tobacco, flavor likes and dislikes, sensitivities, and more lead to a better conclusion. As I have stated many times here before, the greatest disservice we do to new smokers is recommending our favorites.

Sam_Gamgee

Lurker
Nov 22, 2020
Portland, Oregon

I appreciated getting to read your history smoking a pipe. Maybe beyond what you intended it reinforces the notion that this hobby is one that develops at its own pace over time, the way you can’t rush a Polaroid’s development. I like to think it does anyway, because I’ve been using pipe smoking as a way to practice slowing down from the hectic pace of life and enjoying a tasty tobacco during a contemplative moment. I think good things will come of that.

in any case, this post also suggests that a person’s preferences for tobacco will probably develop like other preferences- we start as kids inhaling whoppers and Hershey bars, and here I am at 35 enjoying a bitter chocolate I would have spat out back then. Not like I don’t eat Whoppers now and again, but you know what I mean.

well thank you everyone for your recommendations, I really appreciate them along with the general insight this thread has given me. Many tobacco blends have been added to my list. Happy holidays everyone.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most first time pipe smokers buy one pipe and one blend, to see how it goes. I think one of the old standard Va/bur blends, with or without flavoring, but with dominant tobacco flavor, would be good. Many shop by sniffing the open "house blends," which are standard blends renamed by the shop. I might guide someone to Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic in a pouch, but if they wanted to sniff the jars and select their own, I'd leave them to their own adventure. Micromanagement never made a devoted pipe smoker.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
I think anyone coming in is going to have something on their mind that they want out of the pipe experience. I would probably have my go-to selections for any way they were leaning.

Sometimes you also have to sell someone what they think they want and try your best to get them to also take your suggestion and pick up something you think they actually want. If someone came in fixated on the idea of tobaccos that smell like cookies, it'd probably be a misstep to give them unflavored blends. However, I would also try explain that there are different 'families' and that it is essential to try them all if you want to give pipe smoking a fair shot.

But, as far as the OP's intial format, I'd suggest:

-Orlik Golden Sliced for a Va.
-Mac Baren Golden Extra for a Burley
-and, honestly, Lane 1Q

...1Q was the first proper pipe blend I ever smoked and got it from a B&M out of a big acrylic container. It instantly hit me with that "pipe smell". I haven't bought any since and mostly smoke natural blends anymore, but it's a classic for a reason.

Needless to say though, there's a different answer to this for anyone; I don't think there's a wrong answer. If you were a tobacconist, I think the best thing you can do is know how to read your customer. puffy

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Having been a tobacconist in several of my previous incarnations, I will state that there is no rote answer to this question. It is like any other business or sales situation. You must ask the customer questions and qualify him into a particular blend. An aromatic might be the answer to some. An English may be the answer to others. Previous experience, purpose for the tobacco, flavor likes and dislikes, sensitivities, and more lead to a better conclusion. As I have stated many times here before, the greatest disservice we do to new smokers is recommending our favorites.
seriously. I'd tell them my favorites and tell them what I think about different blends. But ultimately tell them there is one single way to know what they'll enjoy and that's to smoke it. And anything else is at best a well educated guess. There might be a few blends that I'd gently steer them away from but not say no you won't like that yet. Then again I had pissiness for years after my first flake. You know being told those are for advanced pipe smokers you need more experience, no no no! It's just a different technique that's just as tricky as any ribbon or shag. I'd do what many tobacconists do and allow people to sample a bowls worth of something before buying. I would be far more concerned with telling them about how to smoke with the mantras that get spread here and oh yeah tell them where to look for info on pipes. I'd think I'd have a better chance of getting a loyal customer that way.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
1Q was the first proper pipe blend I ever smoked and got it from a B&M
Ditto. On that first occasion I mentioned above, 1Q (rebranded as Gladstone by my local shop) was what I walked out with, it having been the blend that smelled nicest to me of all the ones I was offered. Tasted like ashes for a time, then one day I got a nutty note and could finally say 'finally!'. I recently got another 25 g bag from the tobacconist for nostalgia value, but I only smoke it rarely: it's Lane's, so it's got an issue with goopiness and chemical aftertastes.

If you were a tobacconist, I think the best thing you can do is know how to read your customer.
Yup, as in any kind of sales. I like the idea of taking the time to explain to newcomers the different genres and their chief characteristics and issues, but many customers nowadays get easily bored or upset if they feel they're being 'lectured'. So, yes, definitely know how to read your customer.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
My Mixture, taking care to show him how to dry, and load and light a bowl in the shop. Explain how taste trumps tin or room note. Taking care to have him know he's now one helluva sophisticated smoker.... Then send him a way with a half ounce of a VA and a burley.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I would first take the time to teach the beginner how to smoke flake tobacco. I would teach the cube cut method and the fold and stuff.
I would then have then try a tin of Capstan Blue Flake for a Virginia, then Escudo for a Virginia/Perique flake and then a tin of Mac Baren Old Dark Fired.

I would make sure they understood how to pack both methods until they were comfortable with them. I would make sure they understood how they should want to get some resistance before lighting their pipe. Not too tight and not too loose. I would explain how the humidity should be like by testing the draw before ever lighting up. I would teach them why too tight is no good and why too loose is no good.
Yes this is the deep end of the pool but I always say go big or go home. Once they have learned these methods, I believe they would be able to get a lot more flavor using these methods than a bowl of Carter Hall and a cob. I never even tried an aromatic until I had smoked a pipe for over a decade. I believe that aromatics are difficult to learn on as they are tough to learn how to load a pipe and I believe they are harder to learn how to get flavor and I think flakes are easier to get the flavors that I enjoy. I know most people think a cob and Carter Hall is the way to start but I didn't learn that way as I was a big cigar smoker when I started and Escudo was the blend that showed me how great a pipe could taste.

My way does take a lot of time but I believe once they have learned these methods, they will get way more flavors in the beginning.