If You Smoke Aromatics Is It The Tobacco You're Enjoying ?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

48 Fresh Peterson Pipes
3 Fresh Adam Davidson Pipes
New Cigars
6 Fresh Ardor Pipes
12 Fresh Caminetto Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
If you like the blend then smoke it regardless of the classification.

This right here.

If you like it and enjoy it, smoke it. No need to over complicate things.

Smoking is for my pleasure and my enjoyment. I don't get wrapped up in tobacco vs flavorings, what are you tasting, does the flavoring ruin the tobacco flavor, etc. If it has a good flavor to me and I enjoy it that's enough for me.

I have too much other stress and things to worry about than taking something I enjoy and stressing over it. ?

Johnkelly55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2021
Lancaster, PA
Well,
I am coming into this discussion late.. when I started out, like a lot of guys, I started out with straight aromatics. Probably relabeled Lanes and Captain Black. I like mixing it up between aromatics, English, and VAs. (one day, an Aromatic, next an English, etc… ) For me, if I am going to order an aromatic, I am going to order from C&D, Wilke, and Boswells. True, there is a lot of junk Aromatics out there. I miss the good ole Christmas blends- Mcclellands stuff. I still have one opened tin and one unopened tin of Holiday Spirit. To each his own.
JohnK

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
I like both aromatics and non-aromatics, but gravitate towards the latter more. Probably because a lot of the aromatics I've tried tend to be pretty light in nicotine, and I like me some Vitamin N.

May 16, 2021
Manitoba Canada
I smoke both aros and non-aros depending on my mood.
My "go to" aro is a 50/50 mix of 1Q and C&D Espresso, two blends that make the snobs people cringe.

I also smoke everything from Balkan Supreme to Bayou Morning so it isn't a one or the other.

People talk about aromatic tobacco being too sweet but the only type of pipe tobacco I have tried and find too sweet for my pallette are Virginia flakes.

As for all the back and forth regarding vodka and whiskey the #1 reason why they are different (other than the barrel aging) is how they are distilled.
Vodka is column distilled so that flavours are not carried over into the product.
Whiskey/Rum/Brandy... is pot distilled so that the mash flavors carry over into the final product.

Mar 1, 2014
My "go to" aro is a 50/50 mix of 1Q and C&D Espresso, two blends that make the snobs people cringe.

I also smoke everything from Balkan Supreme to Bayou Morning so it isn't a one or the other.

People talk about aromatic tobacco being too sweet but the only type of pipe tobacco I have tried and find too sweet for my pallette are Virginia flakes.

As for all the back and forth regarding vodka and whiskey the #1 reason why they are different (other than the barrel aging) is how they are distilled.
Vodka is column distilled so that flavours are not carried over into the product.
Whiskey/Rum/Brandy... is pot distilled so that the mash flavors carry over into the final product.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
May 16, 2021
Manitoba Canada

Yes but the setting you would use to column distill whiskey are different.
They will run them at a higher temperature so that what comes out is still essentially single distilled.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Well,
I am coming into this discussion late.. when I started out, like a lot of guys, I started out with straight aromatics. Probably relabeled Lanes and Captain Black. I like mixing it up between aromatics, English, and VAs. (one day, an Aromatic, next an English, etc… ) For me, if I am going to order an aromatic, I am going to order from C&D, Wilke, and Boswells. True, there is a lot of junk Aromatics out there. I miss the good ole Christmas blends- Mcclellands stuff. I still have one opened tin and one unopened tin of Holiday Spirit. To each his own.
JohnK

I saw this thread and immediately thought of one of my favorite tobacco blends, Wilke 191. IMO an ideal aromatic is one where the toppings or casings compliment the tobacco rather than overpower it. Wilke 191 is a vanilla honey burley fest in a pipe. There is plenty of woody burley flavor there along with the usual aromatic sweetness. Smoking 191 feels like smoking tobacco, not hot steamy air (as is all too common the the usual goopy aromatics).

I've barely touched a pipe all summer (I like cigars during the warm seasons), but as we head into fall in about a month, I recently started thinking of my pipes, and the first thing that came to mind was some 191 in a cob. To me, that's the classic "pipe tobacco smell" everyone loves (we all know the quintessential "smell of pipe tobacco" is really 1-Q, but for me, it's Wilke 191).

Mar 1, 2014
Yes but the setting you would use to column distill whiskey are different.
They will run them at a higher temperature so that what comes out is still essentially single distilled.
As was my main point this whole time, Whiskey and Vodka are produced with the same grain and the same equipment.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I smoke aromatics for the people around me, if I am at the park with the family or something. I might blend in a pinch of turkish ribbon with my RLP - 6, with the same logic that I would water down orange juice.

Reactions: Servant King

Johnkelly55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2021
Lancaster, PA
I saw this thread and immediately thought of one of my favorite tobacco blends, Wilke 191. IMO an ideal aromatic is one where the toppings or casings compliment the tobacco rather than overpower it. Wilke 191 is a vanilla honey burley fest in a pipe. There is plenty of woody burley flavor there along with the usual aromatic sweetness. Smoking 191 feels like smoking tobacco, not hot steamy air (as is all too common the the usual goopy aromatics).

I've barely touched a pipe all summer (I like cigars during the warm seasons), but as we head into fall in about a month, I recently started thinking of my pipes, and the first thing that came to mind was some 191 in a cob. To me, that's the classic "pipe tobacco smell" everyone loves (we all know the quintessential "smell of pipe tobacco" is really 1-Q, but for me, it's Wilke 191).
I had placed that big order with Wilke, which I am thoroughly enjoying, btw… and I realized I didn’t order 191!!! I think it is their number one blend. It has been a while, but really a great smoke.
I have been ordering so much tobacco lately, I think I run the risk of marital ire! Two more orders are on the way… so I will have to wait until late September to order any..

Johnkelly55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2021
Lancaster, PA

I had forgotten about 191 and just placed an order for it and a few others. Jiminks helped John develop a peanut butter blend and I put in an order for that too. Looking forward to lighting it up!
1-Q is probably what got us all going years ago!

Reactions: lawdawg
May 2, 2020
Louisiana

Love some #191. Good stuff.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer

Add a weeeee bit of Frosty Mint to that mixture and let it set a week. And by a week bit I mean 1:16.