If You Smoke Aromatics Is It The Tobacco You're Enjoying ?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Accessories
30 Fresh Brigham Pipes
3 Fresh Adam Davidson Pipes
12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes
48 Fresh Peterson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 1, 2014
It's really simple. If I smoke something, and it feels like sucking on a pop, I don't want it. I don't like cigarettes anymore, but I still want that "tobacco." Pipe smoke has to feel and taste like tobacco. I don't hate or dislike aromatics, just don't want them. I can get a bag of dum dums for less than 2 oz of pipe tobacco.
Except pipe tobacco doesn't make you fat.
Personally, Tobacco is a much healthier option than the snacks most people eat to keep their hands busy while watching TV (I download my favorite motorsport races and watch those in the barn).

Is Vodka not brewed with all the same grains as Whiskey?
Even if you count the effects of grain fermentation, Whisky is just dirty Vodka.
You’re kidding, right? Vodka is made from potatoes. Whisky is made from grains. Brandy is distilled fruit wines. Each liquor category is made from a different natural sugar source.

WildTurkeySurprise

Can't Leave
Oct 23, 2020
Mt Juliet, TN
I like your baked potato analogy. Yes baked potatoes are good on their own and with whatever you wanna put in them. I love HH Virginia flake and was thinking of trying the vanilla, if I decide to go back to Aromatics I'll give it a try. Going without Aromatics is an experiment, if I like it I shall stick with it.
I liked the potato analogy, too...at first, but then it fell short to me considering it equates non-aromatic pipe tobacco to plain potato. That’s a no-go. I keep trying to find a comparable enjoyment from aromatics, but it keeps not happening. The consistent feeling I get is that I’m not smoking tobacco. I have plenty of aros in my stash yet to smoke, and I’ll run through them all eventually, but they are not my go-to. A more fitting analogy for me is dessert versus a meal. Generally, I would choose a good steak over a slice of pie. It’s all personal preference, of course. If you like it, smoke it.

Mar 1, 2014
You’re kidding, right? Vodka is made from potatoes. Whisky is made from grains. Brandy is distilled fruit wines. Each liquor category is made from a different natural sugar source.
Silly Goose! You can make Vodka with anything!

Mar 1, 2014
"Vodka is composed mainly of water and ethanol, but sometimes with traces of impurities and flavourings. Traditionally it is made by distilling liquid from fermented cereal grains. Potatoes have been used in more recent times, and some modern brands use fruits, honey, or maple sap as the base."

Whiskey is dirty Vodka (and practically all I drink is Bourbon or Laphroaig).

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I liked the potato analogy, too...at first, but then it fell short to me considering it equates non-aromatic pipe tobacco to plain potato. That’s a no-go. I keep trying to find a comparable enjoyment from aromatics, but it keeps not happening. The consistent feeling I get is that I’m not smoking tobacco. I have plenty of aros in my stash yet to smoke, and I’ll run through them all eventually, but they are not my go-to. A more fitting analogy for me is dessert versus a meal. Generally, I would choose a good steak over a slice of pie. It’s all personal preference, of course. If you like it, smoke it.
Probably still a bit early, it can sometimes take years to enjoy aromatics. I was around 25 years in before I could taste them.

Jun 25, 2021
England
With all that rose and geranium topping it it's an aro. I love the stuff, but only as an occasional smoke.
I defer to your knowledge, and it seems my experiment is going to be imperfect because I love the stuff too, and Cosmic Folklore is right in what he says: that when push comes to shove, everybody has as an aromatic that they like.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
"Vodka is composed mainly of water and ethanol, but sometimes with traces of impurities and flavourings. Traditionally it is made by distilling liquid from fermented cereal grains. Potatoes have been used in more recent times, and some modern brands use fruits, honey, or maple sap as the base."

Whiskey is dirty Vodka (and practically all I drink is Bourbon or Laphroaig).
Yes, because wikipedia is always the 100% factual source for everything. And, can some define "more recent times"? Back in the 1970s, I came across some very good vodkas that were distilled from potatoes and sugar beets. I've also read accounts of POWs in WWII who would make potato vodka.