Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Scenario #1
I assume everything is normal but our powers that be decide no more changing tobacco's willy nilly and we have to just pick one. I'm sure I would think it would be Penzance but my tastes have changed and instead it would be that horrible mess known as GH&Co Rum Flake.

Scenario #2
In a post apocalyptic world (the only reason I can think of that I'd only have the choice of taking one tobacco with me forever) I think Penzance would out shine Saffron as the most expensive herb in the world (about $10,000 a pound). So I would take that and barter it for other blends at a ratio of 100 to 1. I may regret that decision because Penzance is actually pretty low in nic. I'm sure the stress and trials of Armageddon would bind up my system more than usual and I'd really appreciate the powers of regularity Dark Birds Eye provides. But based on the insane prices some people will pay for Penzance under normal circumstances, I'm sure the inflated prices would enable me to buy plenty of Super Colon Blow so I think I'd be ok.

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
When this thread started it would have been something else. For now I'm going to say Match Victorian. Then I'd hope one of you guys with a decent English/Balkan got stuck on the same island so we could trade off once in a blue moon.

64alex

May 10, 2016
The problem with that question is that taste change, or at least definitely change the preference for the blend type. So as now I am in the mood of VaPer I would choose Synjeco Grenodd twist, but when in the mood of English/Balkan I would say McClelland 3 Oaks (I know they close business but I have a good stake for the rest of my life) and if in the mood for aromatic I would choose Cannon plug.
But wait a moment, what about the wonderful St James Plug, Drama Reserve, Ennerdale flake and a couple of dozens more? This is why it is best to cellar when I find something I really like so I don't have to answer this question in the future

Reactions: Meerly John

64alex

May 10, 2016
One more consideration. Beauty of pipe smoking is variety of baccy. I like changing from one blend to another, if I had only one blend it would become boring. One reason more to cellar when you find something you really like also because what is today available could go off production tomorrow.

WNCLEE28466

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2021
Wallace, NC (near the coast)
It would have to be Plum Pudding of course. So much variety in the mix of 5 tobaccos. You might just refine your taste buds enough to enjoy the English on one day. The Virginia the next & so on. But please don't do this to me. I love so many tobaccos!

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I heard that in the past it was common that people only smoked only one tobacco.

So if you had to choose only one tobacco for everyday smoke, which one would it be?

I would probably go for Squadron Leader.

For many years, my pipe tobacco was a pouch of Half and Half. I’d smoke Thad one and buy another pouch.

I still like Half and Half, and buy more pouches of that than any other drug store tobacco.

But if was really cornered, and had to chose one, and not two pipe tobacco blends I’d order five pounds of Sutliff Virginia Slices, smoke that up and order five more pounds.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I would never be happy with just one blend. For the OP who asked I will join in and pick one blend even though my tastes change quite a bit.
For this exercise I will pick Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake. There is a reason I bought over 200 tins and have more of this blend than any other in my cellar.