PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
What is black stoved bright Virginia?
Do you blend all of these together? Asking because with no knowledge of the proportions, any of the Basma, Prilep, Kentucky or Perique can likely overpower the rest easily. Out of these I've smoked straight Perique, Kentucky and Basma, for me the oriental are outliers but at the same time can likely be great condiments!

Black stoved is just another term for virginia cavendish. It can be any virginia, but the brighter yellow virginias which are often used tend to be sweeter and creamier while the darker red virginias become a little more fruity when stoved black.

Yes all blender together. I have tried many variations and ratios with these tobaccos.my current blend I'm smoking now is the strongest version:

Kentucky 40%
Black stoved bright virginia 20%
Stoved red virginia 20%
Perique 10%
Basma 5%
Prelip 5%

You could bring down the kentucky to 20% and up the perique to 12.5-15% and the fill in the rest with more of the red virginia for a lighter version which is nice. Can also take out the basma and just use prelip 7.5-10% as well. 15%(10% prelip 5% basma) orientals is the maximum that works for this blend i find.

The key to blend a large mix is just using a little of some of the tobaccos. I personally like Kentucky alot and use it as a backbone for many blends. But many smokers might prefer more reds and less kentucky.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Cheers, I never tried Prilep but got some pure Basma here (Greece) which apparently comes from the same grower McCLelland used, which I smoke from time to time on its own. Tastes almost like cumin, curry, and pine resin. In fact it's got such a complex taste it could pass for a blend easily. I can see its potential for blending, though I prefer more Western tobaccos overall.

marconi

May 17, 2019
England
Black stoved is just another term for virginia cavendish. It can be any virginia, but the brighter yellow virginias which are often used tend to be sweeter and creamier while the darker red virginias become a little more fruity when stoved black.

Yes all blender together. I have tried many variations and ratios with these tobaccos.my current blend I'm smoking now is the strongest version:

Kentucky 40%
Black stoved bright virginia 20%
Stoved red virginia 20%
Perique 10%
Basma 5%
Prelip 5%

You could bring down the kentucky to 20% and up the perique to 12.5-15% and the fill in the rest with more of the red virginia for a lighter version which is nice. Can also take out the basma and just use prelip 7.5-10% as well. 15%(10% prelip 5% basma) orientals is the maximum that works for this blend i find.

The key to blend a large mix is just using a little of some of the tobaccos. I personally like Kentucky alot and use it as a backbone for many blends. But many smokers might prefer more reds and less kentucky.
Thanks for putting the ratios in always helpful.I will have a go at this blend.

Reactions: uprightman

Alex.Jr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2020
Quiet nights.

I’m pretty sure it has crack in it. No way this is only an English+perique.

yummy

Reactions: uprightman

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
Cornell @ Diehl Bayou Morning.

Seems to be the tobacco I reach for when I don't want to think about what I am reaching for.

Reactions: Reggie

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Three or four blends is easier. My favorite burley blend, a good English, and a tobacco forward aromatic, and maybe one condiment tobacco as a mix, for a change up, an unflavored black Cavendish or cigar leaf.

Reactions: Mtlpiper and Reggie

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
It's tough to pick only 1 blend and my answer would change depending on when you ask this question, but at the moment I would say Orlik Racing Green. This stuff just ticks all the boxes for me, it is mildly flavored yet tasty and I'm hoping they didn't discontinue it like they did with DSK.

Reggie

Aug 22, 2020
Gardendale, Alabama
I have developed quite a broad cellar but if I really had to settle on 1 blend, it would be SWRA. It just hits the spot for me. Am I a codger?

M

Mr. Beauregard

Solani 633. Easy, clean, high quality, gets better with age. Has yet to disappoint.