PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AreBee

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 12, 2024
Farmington, Connecticut USA
I see a lot of people mentioning LJ Peretti, a place I've been to a hundred times as a cigar smoker but NOT ONCE as a pipe smoker! I gotta get back there.

I really would like to visit Barclay Rex in lower Manhattan.

Merton

Lifer
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Probably LJ Peretti.
I hope that you do. The place is small and, as you know, old. The staff are "Boston friendly", that is to say civil and reserved. However, when they realize that you know about pipes and tobacco rather than having just fallen off the tourist trolley which stops nearby, they will warm up considerably. You will be able to try any of their blends that you want,
My suggestion is to fill up a bowl with a blend you fancy and take a nice walk through the nearby Public Garden (not the Boston Common). The Public Garden is one of Boston's real treasures (The Common is not as interesting or as pretty and you might encounter minor unpleasantness)

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
A fave is Telford's in Marin County across the Golden Gate Bridge from San Francisco. They host the Golden Gate Pipe Club. Lots of indoor and outdoor smoking areas, loads of estates as well as new pipes, tons of tins (at California prices).

Reactions: Puff nstuff
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I'm going to Chicago this month on vacation with the family. Iwan Ries is on my list of places to visit, if time allows. As a fan of Savinelli pipes, I'd like to visit their factory. Plus, all the others pipe shops that have been listed in this thread. I'm always wanting to visit pipe shops wherever I go, if possible, just to see how they differ from the ones I frequent, and what selection of tobaccos and pipes they have.

Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
In the states, I'd have to go with LJ Perretti and The Country Squire. I was just recently up at Boswell's and got to talk with JM for about 20 minutes while there. Great guy who loves to talk.

Overseas, I gotta go with Peter Heinreich's and Al Pascia.

Reactions: Choatecav

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Been to Peterson in Dublin, this spring we were at JJ Fox - the downstairs Churchill “museum” is really cool, they let me have a taste of my cigar in Churchill’s chair before I went to the upstairs lounge to finish it. Great atmosphere.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

Pipke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 3, 2024
Chardon, Ohio. USA
I very much appreciated the responses. So many places to visit, and I learned where to go in my own country!

I collated the responses in order of number of "votes." If someone said they wanted to go there, I counted it. This list is not meant to be scientific, statistically validated poll. It's just for fun.

Danish Pipe ShopCopenhagenDenmark
9​
Iwan RiesChicagoIllinois USA
8​
Country SquireJacksonMississippi USA
7​
L.J. PerettiBostonMassachusetts USA
6​
Al PasciaMilanItaly
4​
BoswellsChambersburgPennsylvania USA
3​
James J. FoxLondonUnited Kingdom
3​
Peter HeinrichsCologne (Köln)Germany
3​
Peterson pipe factoryDublinIreland
3​
Pfeifen HuberMunichGermany
3​
Pipe RitSaint-ClaudeFrance
3​
Castello factoryRomeItaly
2​
Paul's Pipe ShopFlintMichigan USA
2​
Watch CityFraminghamMassachusetts USA
2​
Savinelli pipe factoryMilanItaly
2​
Tabaccheria CortiLeccoItaly2
A la Pipe du NordParisFrance
1​
Alberto Bonfigilio pipe shopBolognaItaly 1
Das Haus der 1000 PfeifenCologne (Köln)Germany
1​
FincatoRomeItaly
1​
G and P Fine TobaccoAnchorageAlaska USA
1​
NomuraTokyoJapan
1​
Northern Briarson a boat somewhereUnited Kingdom
1​
NovelliRomaItaly
1​
Pfeifenstudio-FrankRheinbachGermany
1​
SmokingPipes.comLittle RiverSouth Carolina USA
1​
Tanigawa Seijiro ShotenKyotoJapan
1​
Telford'sMill ValleyCalifornia USA
1​

Last edited:

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
I've been lucky enough to visit a few pipe shops, but there are a few I have on my bucket list.

Tabaccheria Corti in Lecco is at the top. I dearly regret not visiting when we were in Lake Como last year.

The Danish Pipe Shop would be next and that may still occur.

The other is Alberto Bonfigilio's shop in Bologna, which I missed in 2019, when passing through.

For me it's not just to look at pipes, but also to meet, learn from, and hang out with the people that work there. A whole lot of great friends.

Attachments

• IMG_1487.jpg
    IMG_1487.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 2

Choatecav

Can't Leave
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
I very much appreciated the responses. So many places to visit, and I learned where to go in my own country!

I collated the responses in order of number of "votes." If someone said they wanted to go there, I counted it. This list is not meant to be scientific, statistically validated poll. It's just for fun.

Danish Pipe ShopCopenhagenDenmark
9​
Iwan RiesChicagoIllinois USA
8​
Country SquireJacksonMississippi USA
7​
L.J. PerettiBostonMassachusetts USA
6​
Al PasciaMilanItaly
4​
BoswellsChambersburgPennsylvania USA
3​
James J. FoxLondonUnited Kingdom
3​
Peter HeinrichsCologne (Köln)Germany
3​
Peterson pipe factoryDublinIreland
3​
Pfeifen HuberMunichGermany
3​
Pipe RitSaint-ClaudeFrance
3​
Castello factoryRomeItaly
2​
Paul's Pipe ShopFlintMichigan USA
2​
Watch CityFraminghamMassachusetts USA
2​
Savinelli pipe factoryMilanItaly
2​
Tabaccheria CortiLeccoItaly2
A la Pipe du NordParisFrance
1​
Alberto Bonfigilio pipe shopBolognaItaly1
Das Haus der 1000 PfeifenCologne (Köln)Germany
1​
FincatoRomeItaly
1​
G and P Fine TobaccoAnchorageAlaska USA
1​
NomuraTokyoJapan
1​
Northern Briarson a boat somewhereUnited Kingdom
1​
NovelliRomaItaly
1​
Pfeifenstudio-FrankRheinbachGermany
1​
SmokingPipes.comLittle RiverSouth Carolina USA
1​
Tanigawa Seijiro ShotenKyotoJapan
1​
Telford'sMill ValleyCalifornia USA
1​
Thanks for ranking these out. It is interesting.

It's interesting that no one mentions The Briary in Homewood, Alabama. It blows most other shops out of the water with size, selection, and space to hang out and smoke. I haven't been to any other pipe shop that has as many high end pipes as they do, with a whole wall of tinned tobaccos and bulk tobaccos just lined up along the wall of their humidor.
Also hanging out there you are guaranteed to eventually meet some interesting folks. It is where I first met Brian Levine. And, on event days I have met so many pipe makers, and not just small potato guys, but Erik Nording, Ian Walker, you might still catch Rad Davis dropping by. As well as any number of celebrities that may drop in when passing through the area.

Skip is hardly ever there these days, which might be a good thing, lol.