PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Professor Moriarty

Can't Leave
Apr 13, 2023
United States
I would like to revisit the historic Iwan Ries shop in Chicago. I used to hang out there at lunch hour, looong ago.

And, as stated by OP, visiting Saint Claude would be a treat.

Reactions: Joe H

Pipke

Lurker
Aug 3, 2024
Chardon, Ohio. USA
People are answering this question two different ways:
1) Locations where pipes are made or
2) Locations where pipes are sold.

I believe the OP is inquiring about the latter. Assuming my interpretation is correct, my answer would be The Country Squire. I've already been to LJ Peretti a few times as well as Iwan Ries.
Yeah that's what I was thinking, but there is no right or wrong answer to what I asked. Just wanted to learn about all the cool spots all over the world. I don't know of any in the USA, first hand, but now I do! :)

Reactions: jbfrady and Joe H

Auxsender

Lifer
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
People are answering this question two different ways:
1) Locations where pipes are made or
2) Locations where pipes are sold.

I believe the OP is inquiring about the latter. Assuming my interpretation is correct, my answer would be The Country Squire. I've already been to LJ Peretti a few times as well as Iwan Ries.
True.
Personally, I like the loose interpretation. I’m curious about makers and retailers alike.

Joe H

Might Stick Around
May 22, 2024
Alaska
It's been great to read about all of these cool pipe shops around the world!

In Anchorage, Alaska we really only have one pipe shop but there is a good cigar/tobacco place as well (plus all the normal “smoke shops”). The pipe shop is G and P Fine Tobacco Limited. The owner has an encyclopedic knowledge of all things tobacco and (in my opinion) his tobacco mixing skills and clone collection of oldies but goodies is amazing; I mean, when was the last time anyone smoked a good clone of Gen. MacArthur’s Harkness D? Lots of new and vintage pipes, walk-in humidor and there’s usually a friendly black lab to play with.
Anch Pipe Shop.jpg

greysmoke

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
South Coatesville, PA
www.greysmoke.com
There are tobacconists with a massive walk in humidor/ room, bursting with cigars, and some shelves of pipe tobacco near the front. (I’m thinking of you, Holts.) But I’ve been to a couple of real, dyed in the wool pipe shops. The Danish Pipe Shop comes to mind. I was traveling on business and spent all too little time there (just long enough to choose a pipe). But what a great shop. Much smaller but even more extraordinary was Chief Catoonah’s shop, ably managed by the late Dick Silverman. I’d see it back if it was permitted.

LongIslandPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2022
Sort of a world tour but will visit them when in-country:
Danish pipe shop
Country Squire
Pesaro Italy
Paul’s pipe shop
Iwan Ries (strike through) hit them when at the Chicago show this year!
Paul Heinrich - German

Any recommendations on a proper English pipe shop?

Reactions: Professor Moriarty

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
When it comes to places I would visit or re-visit...
The Danish Pipe Shop (can you sit down and smoke there?)
Iwan Ries (huge selection, amazing lounge)
The Country Squire - it just feels like you're home when you walk in the door, I always seem to meet new people who all smoke pipes.
Some great ones have been mentioned and I would like to go to Iwan Ries, Boswells and Watch City, but I have to agree that I would love to go to the Country Squire, in Jackson, MS. They have always treated me very nicely.

Reactions: PaulRVA

Mike N

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2023
I’ve been lucky to visit many American brick and mortar shops this year, as well as a few in Europe. Domestically I would like to visit LJ Peretti in Boston (I was there many years ago) as well the Danish Pipe Shop in Europe.

PS If you’ve not been to Iwan Ries in Chicago, put it on your bucket list. The old school smoking lounge, with the elevated train rumbling past the second floor windows, is in a class of its own.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
When it comes to places I would visit or re-visit...
The Danish Pipe Shop (can you sit down and smoke there?)
Iwan Ries (huge selection, amazing lounge)
The Country Squire - it just feels like you're home when you walk in the door, I always seem to meet new people who all smoke pipes.
I'm with you on IR and TCS, but I plan on actually getting to those places unlike the others in my list 🥲

Reactions: khiddy and Mike N