Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I'm always more interested in history. I would much like to have a pipe owned by one of our past presidents of note.
I think owing a pipe from a past president or another "famous" or "almost famous" person would be neat. Then again, I'm also interested in knowing what blends other famous pipe smokers enjoyed.

I believe @condorlover1 has a pipe belonging to a Jack the Ripper detective (possibly the one who was also a suspect) while @JimInks has one or two previously owned by actors.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd think up a "dream pipe," features you'd like in one pipe. Then I'd shop artisan pipe carvers, to find one whose work you greatly admire, but also, by contacting them and finding one you can talk to, who can listen and seems up for your project.

Personally -- and this is just me -- I wouldn't look to spend any particular extravagant amount, since I don't think that's really the point. Just find a carver who does pipes you like, and then work with him to get one you have requested, and pay a fair price, whether that's $300 or considerably more.

Reactions: OzPiper

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Another approach would be to shop some of the higher-end pipes like Castello, Ashton, Ser Jacopo, etc., and find one you really like, and let the occasion be the unique distinction of that pipe. That way you know what you are getting in advance, without working through a commission.

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
I’d probably go the other direction and get a really nice lighter or tamper etc. something special I could use when smoking all my pipes, rather than just one.

Not a bad idea but I already have 2 Kiribi lighters I really enjoy and a few custom tampers.

Above that, I honestly doubt the wife would go for a $900 Dunhill lighter thats listed on SP :LOL: but - it does fall in the no obstacle category. (I honestly want to know who is paying $1000 for a lighter like that)

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Not a bad idea but I already have 2 Kiribi lighters I really enjoy and a few custom tampers.

Above that, I honestly doubt the wife would go for a $900 Dunhill lighter thats listed on SP :LOL: but - it does fall in the no obstacle category. (I honestly want to know who is paying $1000 for a lighter like that)
Haha I’ve actually been thinking on my post and I think I would actually buy a life time supply of matches and get a really nice desk box and/or travel case for them.

Reactions: Toast

Uruss

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2022
You know, I have added one of those and an Il Duca to my cart numerous times in the past and never could commit to it.

As a gift though, I may just do it this time.
If you can afford it, my Eltangs are wonderful smokers. Eltang and Batson are my two favorite makers and, for what it's worth, I consider them worth the investment, but only if you got it to spare.

Reactions: grimpuffer