PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016

Title edited for caps and possible word change. Original:​

"If money were no option..."​

What would you choose as your pipe?

I apologize if this has been discussed at length but I am truly curious what people consider worthy of their money if they had no other obligation.

The main reason I ask is, my wife and I will be celebrating 20 years together next year and she wants to get me something to mark the occasion.

I could not think of anything better than an item that will outlive us both so I am generally curious what is considered an exceptional grade briar for the money. ( I know S. Bang is a thing, but I am wondering if anything else competes)

I always enjoy looking at what others think because I may find something that is new to me outside of the normal channels.

Last edited by a moderator:

Toast

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 15, 2021
UK
For me, Todd Johnson, Doctor's, Alex Florov, Tokutomi, & Gotoh (in no particular order) all make pretty expensive pipes I'd love to own.

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
His and her Rolexes. But if you must have a pipe (admirable monomania, I must say), I'd get a Jesse Jones straight billiard, but that's just my preference. Plus I already have one. But whatever floats your boat. How about an awesome meerschaum?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Well, if there is no limit I suppose either a Bo Nordh or Sixten Ivarsson. Slightly less expensive wold be a Nanna Ivarsson. I you wanted pipes I could afford it would Jesse Jones, Nate King, or Doug Findlay.

Reactions: petes03 and jpmcwjr

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Nothing different that I've already done, already have a "limit" I guess - like some of other things, I could afford something more but so what. It's nice piece of wood, does a job, and I pay a little more to get a commission or something old that catches my eye, but still within reason. More money wouldn't make a difference.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
If I was getting a seven day set from different carvers it would be Jesse Jones, Nate King, Doug Findlay, Brad Pohlmann, Alex Hasty, Abe Herbaugh, and Jody Davis. Tomorrow it might be a different seven.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
If money was no object. I'd search for the perfect meer. And old one but not a cutty. No one of those old masters ones. If you don't know what I am talking about you've never seen one. I am talking meers that no one carves anything close to these days (and no many people did back in the day either). Ones where the madmen who carved it put texture in the dudes skin making it look not like a carving but a strange mineral version of a shrunken head (without the distortion). Or one where you know it took six months a steady hand to carve that insane of a scene into the pipe.
Barring that total line of fantasy (even if money is no object, no certainty you'd find that). I'd probably buy the same pipes I already buy. I like how they smoke I prefer classic shapes (funny how that works, the weirdos like me go classic and the more conservative (as in reserved and traditional, still wears suits to funerals and office job interviews) folks seem to like the weirdo out there wackado pipes.
Oh it seems that if I put a price on my taste in pipes.... I'd say that I stay in the 1 through a little over 2 hundred range with an occasional that pips a bit extra but I like it and it's 300.
And my suggestion if price is no issue call M.M. and buy all their pipes. Like their full stock. And become the guy that gives anyone who hangs out a brand new cob.