Ideas for Hanging or Securing a Pipe Against Loss or Damage - During Outdoor Activities

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Oh, I would suggest a touch of E6000. You can find it at Walmart or craft stores. Great for bonding metals to other materials, and it’s not a hard set like two part epoxies. You won’t accidentally glue your hand to a workbench, ha ha. I’ve heard horror stories about epoxies, ha ha.
K. Yeah, I was gonna use Lepage's contact cement. I've never had good luck with epoxies, even without making a big finger out of two.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I use Falcons when I'm out in the campo...tough as old boots and cheap, so no big loss if they get lost. The fancy briars stay in the house.
An old climbing mate of mine in Scotland once proudly showed off a lanyard he fashioned for his pipe...didn't last long as he got fed up with it getting in his way.

WP-20170427-013-2.jpg
2nd that because I think every pipe smoker should have at least one falcon set. Which is one stem and two bowls min :)

Reactions: Puff nstuff

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
Just curious, what didn't you like about them, besides the aesthetics? I've never had one.
I had one quite a while ago. I found the chambers to be quite small, and they feel a bit cheap to me, particularly the plastic stem. I didn’t end up smoking it much and traded it in for store credit at SmokingPipes.com shortly after.

I recently bought a H Wiebe radiator pipe which is a similar concept with exchangeable bowls and like that one much better.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Never had a Falcon. Why would you need two bowls? They have a dry ring so they stay dry, does that work?
They're a great pipe for the price and you need two bowls because you can switch them when you want so why not have two. The dry ring is basically just a filter and mostly useless unless you like filters. The humidome does work to keep the chamber mostly dry though so.

OldRocko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2021
South Florida USA
Thank you for your ideas and comments - many more than I expected.

Quite a few recommended using an affordable/expendable pipe, like a corn cob, or a hardier option like a Falcon. Others suggested building or modifying a pipe to attach a rope or lanyard. Some also suggested purpose-build pipes like a J.M. Boswell Fishing Vest, or a short pipe with a lanyard and a cover.

Based on this feedback for starters I'm going to use a cob and rig it with a lanyard of sorts to see if its practical. And I'll be looking for a Boswell (which I guess are only available as a NOS/Estate).

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Status
Not open for further replies.