Ideas for Hanging or Securing a Pipe Against Loss or Damage - During Outdoor Activities

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
But, I think the question is how to attach a pipe to a lanyard? They aren't easy to put a carabiner through.
A solution would be to wrap a piece of soft-tempered leather round the stem and then attach the lanyard to that somehow. This would be a per-pipe unique fix, since stems come in all kinds of shapes and thicknesses.

OldRocko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2021
South Florida USA
Thank you for all your comments and suggestions.

Perhaps I should have explained myself better: My concern is smoking while performing a physical or complex task, when one could let go of the pipe, by accident or design, therefore damaging it or loosing it.

I'm thinking of something that can hold the pipe you're smoking if you let go of it. I understand this would seldom be necessary or useful, and is therefore irrelevant to most pipe smokers. Times when a pipe is dropped, by accident or on purpose, are of course rare.

Yet, I had a particular experience a couple weeks ago, while shore fishing Florida, when I could have temporarily ditched my pipe.

It was sunny but cool beach day, right to decompress with a pipe. Six hours without a single bite; yet, the weather, the seas, and the smoke where all great. Then suddenly, a large fish jumps violently out of the water, followed by my fishing rod falling over and dragging on the sand, as it was quickly being pulled into the sea. Damn.

Got up as fast as I could and ran, pipe in mouth, hands in the air, bouncing belly, screaming between my teeth for my kid to get to the rod. I got to it right at water's edge; panting heavily, with raging tobacco chimney burning inches from my face.

I had hooked a shark. To my dismay sand had gotten into the reel and it wouldn't move. So I'm desperately trying to land the fish, while adjusting line tension, trying to unlock the reel, and giving instructions to my son. All the while the pipe was out of control and spitting ash like an old locomotive.

After a five minutes fighting it the shark cut the line. When I got back to beach "base" I let down the now spent, undamaged, pipe. I fixed the reel and the terminal tackle, and an hour or so later, without the pipe in my mouth, I landed a beautiful back tip reef shark, which I promptly released back into the sea.

Smoking a pipe was justified and pleasurable, but when conditions suddenly changed I had no way to safely put it down. Having cords or a pipe hanging from my neck or vest could have perhaps caused its own complications, but I would have liked the option of temporarily ditching the pipe while I dealt with the problem.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Piece of string or avalanche cord around your neck and around the pipe in a Prusik Knot or two half-hitches. Easy to remove if needed.

There are those small screw-in eyelets, but I don't think I could do that even to a beater pipe. Maybe a cob though, some have a wooden plug in the bottom.

Even a loop of fishing line around the tenon then pushed into the stem should hold. Tie the other end to your lucky fishing hat.

What do you use to glue them in? Coz I have a pipe here that's got a loose ferrule. :mad:
I don’t have to usually use glue. A compression fit is usually what I am going for. But, on some decorative bands, I will use Epoxy 330, mostly because it is heat and impact resistant, I can’t break it, but also I use it because it is a lapidary epoxy used for inartsia…. and I have it on hand.

What do you use to glue them in? Coz I have a pipe here that's got a loose ferrule. :mad:
Oh, I would suggest a touch of E6000. You can find it at Walmart or craft stores. Great for bonding metals to other materials, and it’s not a hard set like two part epoxies. You won’t accidentally glue your hand to a workbench, ha ha. I’ve heard horror stories about epoxies, ha ha.

M

Magnum207

Hello Folks - first posting here; glad to be a member of the community... Do you have any ideas to hang, tie, or clip the pipe to secure it from falling say, during physical activity or on a body of water? Thanks !!
Not sure if anyone mentioned it yet, but J.M. Boswell of “Boswell’s Pipes” makes his affordable, handmade fishing pipes which are fashioned with a built-in lanyard. Very nice pipes.

Scottishgaucho

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2020
Buenos Aires Province.
I use Falcons when I'm out in the campo...tough as old boots and cheap, so no big loss if they get lost. The fancy briars stay in the house.
An old climbing mate of mine in Scotland once proudly showed off a lanyard he fashioned for his pipe...didn't last long as he got fed up with it getting in his way.

WP-20170427-013-2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.