Ideas for Hanging or Securing a Pipe Against Loss or Damage - During Outdoor Activities

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldRocko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2021
South Florida USA
Hello Folks - first posting here; glad to be a member of the community... Do you have any ideas to hang, tie, or clip the pipe to secure it from falling say, during physical activity or on a body of water? Thanks !!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sometimes leaving the pipe in the glove compartment or on a rack at home is the only sensible way, depending on what you're doing. Otherwise, a pocket in some kind of garment on the top of your body, especially if the pocket buttons, is good, or the inside pocket of a jacket. Rigging a pipe holster for your chest or waist is possible, but probably some trouble. Trousers or shorts pockets are a hazard for snapping stems. A backpack or fanny pack may work, but I'd secure the pipe inside, in a smaller pocket or rolled in a t-shirt or some other item you're carrying. Inexpensive cobs are another approach, but I get attached to mine and don't want to break or lose them. I think many pipes float, so might be retrieved from the water if you see them fall overboard. Any pipe that doesn't float I'd leave home from the water.

I go canoeing all the time in the summer, lakes and white water, and I have never had an issue without anything special to secure my pipe. I mean, if you are prone to just falling out of boats, or dropping a lot of stuff into the water, then sure...

You could get an old beater pipe with a really thick stem, and drill a small hole into it, in a way that does not cross the draft (this is why you need a really thick stem on the stummel side) and then thread a cord through it to use as a lanyard. Or, still referring to a thick stemmed pipe, you could twist a small eye hole screw, and then you could do the same with a cord.

But really, do you fall in a lot?

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I can't really think of a situation where clipping or hanging a pipe during outdoor activities would be necessary. A pocket, a case, or in a pack seem like the answer in every situation I can think of. Maybe you could be more specific about what the activity is and why the pipe needs to be tied, hung, or clipped somewhere.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
I am guessing your question applies to when you’re not smoking the pipe?Someone already mentioned a duck lanyard. Additionally, you could look at an ol’ style fanny pack or a chest storage device that is often used by fly fisherman. Both would provide a place for your pipe, tobacco and other accoutrements.
AFE3B073-64E2-442C-B824-12EE24511F33.jpeg
My favorite pipe when I go duckhunting is a wonderful Boswell pocket pipe.
When the duckhunting slows down mid-morning, I can enjoy a smoke and it stores very easily in a pocket of my jacket.
image.jpg

• Love
Reactions: cosmicfolklore

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
It can go in my pocket or at worse, a fanny pack. If it is an activity so strenuous neither of those will suffice, then most likely I don't need or have a pipe with me. Just my .02

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've seen leather pipe holsters for sale, but I can't remember where. It seems like that might be risky for the stem unless you had a nice stubby thick pipe. Also, it might risk one of these law enforcement mishaps where the officer thinks you are carrying when you're not.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Shirt pocket with a button flap and a slot for a pen. Slide the stem up through the pen slot, drop the stummel into the pocket and button the flap.
This.

Without a button flap, things tend to fall out of a breast pocket when bending over.

Then again, it just might be me. If it weren't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.