PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I recently saw a YouTube clip of Sean Connery singing "The Son of God Goes Forth to War" (a favorite hymn text of mine) to a tune not listed in any of the major hymnals -- what turned out to be a traditional Irish tune: "The Minstrel Boy." It was so much more fitting than any of the tunes offered in the hymnals -- and the clip appeared to be so noble (it seemed to depict a valiant martyrdom) -- that I had to see the film that it was from: "The Man Who Would Be King," based on the Kipling story. I was vaguely aware that it had a minor cult following, but had never viewed it, and never read the story.

What a disappointment. Sean Connery and Michael Caine play endearing ne'er-do-wells that would have been the antagonists had the story been told from a different perspective. Connery's character dies for nothing noble -- only his increasingly unhinged, selfish ambition.
Always fun to see different takes - someone above only likes "The African Queen" among Bogart films - I generally like his stuff but can't stand to watch that one, lol. That's what is great about books and movies.

I'm old enough I saw "The Man Who Would Be King" when it was released in the theater and loved it, still a favorite and now also of one of my daughters. I grew up with Connery and Caine in movies and it just seems like one of those turn 'em loose and let them have some fun films - and yep, he dies for absolutely nothing noble - you could see it coming a mile away and "Peachy" foreshadows it at the beginning, but a good "rise and fall" tale. For me, finding out it was a short story, was a revelation and it's not bad.

Reactions: LotusEater and SBC

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
No I can't cope with Wayne either. Completely wooden with only one screen persona which he recycled endlessly. More ego than talent IMO. But he was the product of an age of screen prima donnas.
If you think he was "completely" wooden there are a lot more of his films you need to watch (like them, don't like them, but you haven't scratched the surface is my guess) - "ego" - a lot less than you seem to claim. Fun discussion, but a lot of over-generalizing.

Reactions: SBC

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
I saw Blair Witch in here. While I didn't care for the movie itself or the actors, I loved the found footage film student shtick. Also, 3/4 of the movie was filmed in the woods I hung out at as a kid. The house at the end, I recognized some of my graffiti on the walls.

I was deployed to Kosovo when it first came out. Someone got their hands on a bootleg version and we all sat around watching it. I made the mistake of saying I know exactly where they are. The guy sitting next to me turned, face pale as a sheet, and asked if it was true. Um, yeah. Totally true. I remember when this happened. Did I know them? I knew their people, his cousins, her brother. It was a great month or so I had him going.

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
After I read the book, I REALLY wanted to see this adapted to film. Have you seen the James Franco mini-series? Is it worth watching?
I have not seen it. I was content with the book, and it’s my understanding that they changed the timeline in the series: that is, the main character didn’t go back to 1958 but much later.

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
If you think he was "completely" wooden there are a lot more of his films you need to watch (like them, don't like them, but you haven't scratched the surface is my guess) - "ego" - a lot less than you seem to claim. Fun discussion, but a lot of over-generalizing.
I enjoyed The Quiet Man, and Wayne seemed to get outside the cowboy “wooden” persona in his performance. The fist fight that goes all the way across town is pretty entertaining.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
My personal take on the John Wayne complaint that everybody has always rehashed throughout my life, every time his films come up:

(a) We've grown so dependent on the consumption of entertainment that we've forgotten what "actors" are: professional pretenders. The degree to which an actor is "good" is the degree to which he can convincingly deceive. The more disassociated he can become from his true self, the more we applaud him.
This is weird to me. Would you want to be married to a persuasive pretender? If somebody like John Wayne just is who he is, I like him better as a man for it. You can say he's not as good an actor, fine, but he may well be a better man.

Which leads me to my scond thought:

(b) If an actor is always playing the same kind of character, then whether or not you like that may have a lot to do with whether or not you like that kind of character.
I like John Wayne. He usually played a natural leader who knew what needed done and did it. He's a corrective to the limp-wristededness of males today. I enjoy his character.
So if there are a lot of similarities in many of his roles, that works for me.

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
Always fun to see different takes - someone above only likes "The African Queen" among Bogart films - I generally like his stuff but can't stand to watch that one, lol. That's what is great about books and movies.

I'm old enough I saw "The Man Who Would Be King" when it was released in the theater and loved it, still a favorite and now also of one of my daughters. I grew up with Connery and Caine in movies and it just seems like one of those turn 'em loose and let them have some fun films - and yep, he dies for absolutely nothing noble - you could see it coming a mile away and "Peachy" foreshadows it at the beginning, but a good "rise and fall" tale. For me, finding out it was a short story, was a revelation and it's not bad.
I don’t like Bogart in The African Queen either. He does prove that there’s more to him than the stoic, stone-faced tough guy, though. It also seems like TAQ was filmed in color, and that spoils a classic movie for me personally. YMMV.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I don’t like Bogart in The African Queen either. He does prove that there’s more to him than the stoic, stone-faced tough guy, though. It also seems like TAQ was filmed in color, and that spoils a classic movie for me personally. YMMV.
Not a favorite take maybe, but although there are some films I enjoy she is in (but a couple I can plug in other actresses that I think would have generated more chemistry to the roles), I've never been a big Katherine Hepburn fan.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri

I love “The Man who Would Be King”! Although I think it is a movie with iconic actors and a bit of a cult following rather than a truly iconic film. I’m 51 so it came out a year or two after I was born but I’ve seen it several times on cable. You said, “it just seems like one of those turn 'em loose and let them have some fun films” and I could not agree more. Full disclosure- I’m a fan of both Connery and Caine.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I remember not enjoying Casablanca. I watched it in high school in a history in film class so it was a long time ago and I might feel differently if I watched it now.
To appreciate Casablanca you must know the movie was based on a 1940 story written before Pearl Harbor and released and won it’s cult status after Pearl Harbor.

The original story was set in Lisbon in neutral Portugal.

Warner Brothers recast the location to the North African town of Casablanca, a wise decision.

Rick is an unwilling and reluctant Christ like John Wayne figure.

He sticks his neck out for nobody.

But he knows that pretty girl belongs to the hero of the French resistance and so he starts the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

It’s better than Citizen Kane.

After Gone with the Wind, Casablanca is the second best movie of all time, for mature adults.

I’d have kept the girl, you know?

G

Gimlet

I saw Blair Witch in here. While I didn't care for the movie itself or the actors, I loved the found footage film student shtick. Also, 3/4 of the movie was filmed in the woods I hung out at as a kid. The house at the end, I recognized some of my graffiti on the walls.

I was deployed to Kosovo when it first came out. Someone got their hands on a bootleg version and we all sat around watching it. I made the mistake of saying I know exactly where they are. The guy sitting next to me turned, face pale as a sheet, and asked if it was true. Um, yeah. Totally true. I remember when this happened. Did I know them? I knew their people, his cousins, her brother. It was a great month or so I had him going.
I tell people it's a documentary about camping and anyone planning a night or two under canvas should watch it for useful tips. I believe I've put a few people off camping for life.

A very important aspect of this film is sound. Or lack of it. If you are frightened and you listen intently, you become hyper-sensitised. This film really understood how to play on that and induce that state in the viewer. The characters are most frightened by the sounds they hear outside the tent. Or think they hear. They cower, owl-eyed, listening - to nothing. And then there's the snap of a twig, rustling footsteps, and that soft, muttering laughter just outside the tent. Mute the sound and the film would be nothing and you'd fall asleep. With it on you're straining your senses, just as the characters are, and you enter a different sensory universe.
In fact, if you blacked out the screen and just listened, this film would still be deeply unnerving. The makers of this film knew exactly how to sustain tension through the use of sound and they were careful never to break the spell. It's clever and few film makers manage to pull it off. Most over-egg the pudding with a gratuitous soundtrack that snaps you out of your fear like a hypnotist clicking his fingers. This film just pushes you in deeper.

Last edited by a moderator:

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Give me Orson Welles in “The Stranger” and with Jeff Chandler in “Man In The Shadow” and his narration of “The War Of The Worlds” and that’s enough for me!

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
To appreciate Casablanca you must know the movie was based on a 1940 story written before Pearl Harbor and released and won it’s cult status after Pearl Harbor.

The original story was set in Lisbon in neutral Portugal.

Warner Brothers recast the location to the North African town of Casablanca, a wise decision.

Rick is an unwilling and reluctant Christ like John Wayne figure.

He sticks his neck out for nobody.

But he knows that pretty girl belongs to the hero of the French resistance and so he starts the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

It’s better than Citizen Kane.

After Gone with the Wind, Casablanca is the second best movie of all time, for mature adults.

I’d have kept the girl, you know?
It’s a great film and as I like to say “a lot going on” with great actors in every part, large or small. About perfect for what it was meant to be.

Can’t agree with the Christ analogy but relieved you didn’t try to have him born in Missouri before he ended up elsewhere. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Zero

bobomatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2023
Colombia
roberthunt.com
Just to switch it up a bit from the classics, I just watched "Killers of the Flower Moon". I'm a big fan of Scorsese.
"Goodfellas", "The Departed" "Taxi Driver" among others. But I gotta say, his latest disappointed me. I was looking forward to it and I really wanted to like it. But I just couldn't click with it. It reminded me of asking someone the time of day and they build you a clock. It was waaaay toooo long at 3+ hours, repetitive and could've been told in 2 hours. It's a really interesting story that was, IMHO, ruined by slow pace and disjointed dialogue. Anyway, interested to hear what you guys thought.

Green Hill piper

Can't Leave
Feb 1, 2023

Found footage is by far better than special effects. Rely more on acting and emotion.

K.E. Powell

Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Broadly speaking, most "iconic" films have not disappointed me entirely. There are many I do not personally enjoy, but I can find merit in them and respect them as a works of art and entertainment. The Shining is a perfect example of this. I find the film to be an exercise in style over substance that is too quick to undermine or outright sacrifice the subtleties and thematic force of its source material for sake of aesthetics. But even then, I must say, I can see why this film is beloved and respected. It just doesn't resonate with me, but that doesn't mean it isn't worthwhile.

Art is meant to be discussed, debated, criticized, and interpreted. Good art provokes and challenges us. Great does all that and keeps its cultural and artistic relevance long after its conception. I try to give a chance to a lot of pieces of "canon" art in film, literature, etc., and not solely because I want to cultivate some smug sense of "high" taste, but because there is something special about such art that has managed to stay in the cultural firmament of our collective consciousness, and therefore demands a critical and serious look.

If I were to choose an iconic film that is an exception to what I stated above, one where I had difficulty finding merit or worth and genuinely regretted giving it a minute of my time, then that film would have to be Dances with Wolves. Cloying, ham-fisted acting by its lead protagonist, and just a constant stream of ham-fisted clichés. It's almost insultingly simplistic and patronizing. I do appreciate its earnestness to a degree, and there are some moments of beautiful cinematography. But goddamn, this movie made me roll the eyes out of my head.