6 Fresh Ashton Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

G

Gimlet

Have you ever watched cult-status movies and been left wondered what all the fuss was about?

Last night I watched The Shining for the first time. How I've managed to miss this film all these years I've no idea, but it was on terrestrial TV and bigged up in the reviews as you'd expect so I settled down and gave it a go and I'm afraid to say I found the whole thing distinctly meh..

It's a pretty conventional isolation movie where the characters are trapped in a situation they can't escape and begin to turn on each other. But I found it completely devoid of dramatic tension. The scenario is more or less spelled out right at the beginning when the black guy who is the hotel chef explains to the kid what the "Shining" means and relates the tale of a previous caretaker who went mad at the hotel and massacred his family. That same character then vanishes from the narrative, only to reappear at the end to get murdered. You can see the story unfolding a mile off with no twists or surprises and the viewer feels no particular empathy with any one character, except possibly the poor wife, but she isn't driving the narrative.

There were lots of threads that were picked up and then dropped again. The chef who seems to know what is likely to happen but does nothing about it except to tell the kid a creepy story. The ghostly twins who keep popping up for no real purpose. The woman in the bath in room 237. The repeated maze scene. Jack's book consisting of a single endlessly repeating sentence the reason for which and his growing antipathy towards his family goes unexplored.

There were lots of arty motifs, like the repeated following shot of the kid driving round empty corridors in his pedal car, which added nothing to the story except to remind us that the place is deserted. I didn't find it in the least creepy or particularly atmospheric, just predictable.

The only tension came from Jack Nicholson's performance with his seamless slow-motion portrayal of developing madness.

Did I miss something here?
Anyone else similarly underwhelmed by a cult movie?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: JOHN72 and jbfrady

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I think for "The Shining", it helps to have read the book. It's fun to unravel the continuity issues Kubrick dropped in.
The oddities are covered in the documentary "Room 237"

Green Hill piper

Can't Leave
Feb 1, 2023
Have you ever watched cult-status movies and been left wondered what all the fuss was about?

Last night I watched The Shining for the first time. How I've managed to miss this film all these years I've no idea, but it was on terrestrial TV and bigged up in the reviews as you'd expect so I settled down and gave it a go and I'm afraid to say I found the whole thing distinctly meh..

It's a pretty conventional isolation movie where the characters are trapped in a situation they can't escape and begin to turn on each other. But I found it completely devoid of dramatic tension. The scenario is more or less spelled out right at the beginning when the black guy who is the hotel chef explains to the kid what the "Shining" means and relates the tale of a previous caretaker who went mad at the hotel and massacred his family. That same character then vanishes from the narrative, only to reappear at the end to get murdered. You can see the story unfolding a mile off with no twists or surprises and the viewer feels no particular empathy with any one character, except possibly the poor wife, but she isn't driving the narrative.

There were lots of threads that were picked up and then dropped again. The chef who seems to know what is likely to happen but does nothing about it except to tell the kid a creepy story. The ghostly twins who keep popping up for no real purpose. The woman in the bath in room 237. The repeated maze scene. Jack's book consisting of a single endlessly repeating sentence the reason for which and his growing antipathy towards his family goes unexplored.

There were lots of arty motifs, like the repeated following shot of the kid driving round empty corridors in his pedal car, which added nothing to the story except to remind us that the place is deserted. I didn't find it in the least creepy or particularly atmospheric, just predictable.

The only tension came from Jack Nicklaus's performance with his seamless slow-motion portrayal of developing madness.

Did I miss something here?
Anyone else similarly underwhelmed by a cult movie?
That's because you didn't read the book first and don't know all the double meaning and religious connotations In the movie. If you want to try a cult classic try boondocks saints. Bet you will watch it again. And again.

Reactions: JOHN72 and Gimlet
G

Gimlet

That's because you didn't read the book first and don't know all the double meaning and religious connotations In the movie. If you want to try a cult classic try boondocks saints. Bet you will watch it again. And again.
Should you have to read the book first? Where a film interprets a book, surely you shouldn't need the original text first as a guide. The film should stand alone.

There are many better examples of books transposed to film. In this genre, the isolation scenario where characters are trapped and besieged by malevolent forces, Peckinpah's Straw Dogs is far better. The back stories of the characters and their complex psychologies are fully explored and the film was better directed, straining with tension.

Another of Nicholson's great movies I haven't seen is One flew Over the Cuckoo's nest, and I've avoided it deliberately precisely because I have read Ken Kesey's original book and it was such a fine piece of writing that I can't imagine a film bettering it.

I had similar reservations about No Country for Old Men. But being a massive Cormac McCarthy fan I just had to. And the Coen brothers nailed it IMO. The film was near word perfect faithful to McCarthy's original. BUT, McCarthy wrote that book as a screen play - presumably to make some money. McCarthy was a literary genius who bears comparison with James Joyce and Mark twain. If you had to employ him as a screen writer you probably couldn't afford him, yet with NCFOM he had already written a screen play and done the hard work and it showed. I think it's the screen writing that's lacking in The Shining.

G

Gimlet

Citizen Kane.

I tried watching it with my son (who also loves old movies). About 20 minutes into it, I turned to him: "Do you have any idea what's happening in this movie?" He said, "Nope." We both sort of shrugged and turned it off.
I'm inclined to agree. I had to watch it at college and write a analysis and when you unpick it all it's all filmic technique and little story.

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
I remember not enjoying Casablanca. I watched it in high school in a history in film class so it was a long time ago and I might feel differently if I watched it now.

Reactions: JOHN72

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
Should you have to read the book first? Where a film interprets a book, surely you shouldn't need the original text first as a guide. The film should stand alone.

There are many better examples of books transposed to film. In this genre, the isolation scenario where characters are trapped and besieged by malevolent forces, Peckinpah's Straw Dogs is far better. The back stories of the characters and their complex psychologies are fully explored and the film was better directed, straining with tension.

Another of Nicholson's great movies I haven't seen is One flew Over the Cuckoo's nest, and I've avoided it deliberately precisely because I have read Ken Kesey's original book and it was such a fine piece of writing that I can't imagine a film bettering it.

I had similar reservations about No Country for Old Men. But being a massive Cormac McCarthy fan I just had to. And the Coen brothers nailed it IMO. The film was near word perfect faithful to McCarthy's original. BUT, McCarthy wrote that book as a screen play - presumably to make some money. McCarthy was a literary genius who bears comparison with James Joyce and Mark twain. If you had to employ him as a screen writer you probably couldn't afford him, yet with NCFOM he had already written a screen play and done the hard work and it showed. I think it's the screen writing that's lacking in The Shining.
I'm not a huge movie guy and haven't really followed Jack Nicholson's career, but he did a film called The Pledge that I watched many years ago. His performance was so good that it still comes up in my memory today. I won't spoil the plot for you but it's a really good movie and worth watching for his performance. I think I might've seen The Shining back in the day when I was a kid, but I don't remember anything about it. I've read a few of Stephen King's novels and seen a few film adaptations of them. I believe Shawshank to be a better movie than book, which I rarely believe is true.

Reactions: JOHN72 and Gimlet
Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
I remember not enjoying Casablanca. I watched it in high school in a history in film class so it was a long time ago and I might feel differently if I watched it now.
I only just saw this movie earlier this year and I'm not usually too big a fan of older films (1950 and earlier), but I thought this was a solid film, although, I must have counted at least 4-5 instances where I thought to myself "these writers need to stop watching Bugs Bunny and Looney Tunes!" 😜

Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
I remember trying to watch Close Encounters of the Third Kind when I was a kid and I don't ever remember making it all the way through. Fast forward to me in my 30s and I found it On Demand 1 day when the wife and kids were gone. Thought to myself, "this is a Spielberg flick, I should probably give this a fair shot, now that I'm older." Yeah, well, I want my 2+ hours of my life back. 1/2 way through I said to myself, "well, I'm already invested now, it's GOTTA get better, right?" Nope...I should have just watched The Sting for the 30th time instead.

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
I thought Carrie, the book or movie, neither was very good. Not one of Kings best (he wrote a LOT of turds)
I wasted something like 40 hours of my life on King's THE STAND via audiobook. I was so thoroughly disappointed in that story! I know he was drunk most of the time back then, but I still fail to see how it achieved classic status.

Reactions: Kobold

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
I remember trying to watch Close Encounters of the Third Kind when I was a kid and I don't ever remember making it all the way through. Fast forward to me in my 30s and I found it On Demand 1 day when the wife and kids were gone. Thought to myself, "this is a Spielberg flick, I should probably give this a fair shot, now that I'm older." Yeah, well, I want my 2+ hours of my life back. 1/2 way through I said to myself, "well, I'm already invested now, it's GOTTA get better, right?" Nope...I should have just watched The Sting for the 30th time instead.
That’s pretty much my exact same experience with Close Encounters. What a colossal waste of time.

Reactions: PA Piper Mike
Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
I wasted something like 40 hours of my life on King's THE STAND via audiobook. I was so thoroughly disappointed in that story! I know he was drunk most of the time back then, but I still fail to see how it achieved classic status.
I've heard this about The Stand, I actually had a friend of mine FINALLY make it all the way through it after numerous attempts. I'm pretty sure I remember him saying he liked it, but it dragged on a LOT.

The only Stephen King book I've read was 11/22/63 and I thought that was really interesting. But definitely not enough to make me attempt The Stand, or any other of his books.

Reactions: Alejo R.

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
I actually read the stand this year for the first time and I agree with you. The first part was interesting but once the main villain was introduced it went downhill. The ending was predictable too. I think I’m done reading King books. They were fun when I was a teenager but now they seem too formulaic.

RookieGuy80

Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
Several cult movies have left me feeling underwhelmed to disappointed. I think my third John Wayne movie and on. Why do they bother giving his characters names or costumes? Every single solitary John Wayne movie I've ever seen has been John Wayne. He acts like John Wayne, lines delivered like John Wayne, everything. Pull his character from any movie and drop him into any other of his movies and I bet my next 4 paychecks you wouldn't be able to tell.

The Big Lebowski is a cult classic with my generation. I've seen it a few times, and each time I finished feeling my time had been wasted. Not even John Goodmans performance could save it.

It's early and I'm on my first pipe and cup. Let me wake up and think about it, I'll probably have more soon.