PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's one brim that won't char, but I know the appeal is more aesthetic. It looks like it might get hot, but on second thought, rims don't. It's interesting the way some clearly beautiful pipes don't speak to a particular person, whereas others sing arias.

Reactions: diamondback

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I may be a little overboard with this but I keep a spreadsheet of the pipes I want. I rank them in order of most wanted and usually go back to the site and review them sometimes over a period of several months. If a pipe is still available after that period and manages to keep my eye for that same duration (and I have the funds) then I'll get it. Sometimes they get sold first, sometimes I just lose interest in them, sometimes I find something else that I find for less money that fits my collection where the one I was looking at did and in these cases they get deleted from my spreadsheet and I move on.

I had several Dunhills on my list but now I'm down to about 2 as I lost interest in the others. (Actually I have a third Dunhill but unless I get a massive increase in my income I'm not willing to spend the money on an Alphorn.)

As of late I've been all about unique artisan pipes. Here's number 1 on my list:

Maybe next month if it's still available. Still unsure as it's a little more than I like to spend.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I may be a little overboard with this but I keep a spreadsheet of the pipes I want. I rank them in order of most wanted and usually go back to the site and review them sometimes over a period of several months. If a pipe is still available after that period and manages to keep my eye for that same duration (and I have the funds) then I'll get it. Sometimes they get sold first, sometimes I just lose interest in them, sometimes I find something else that I find for less money that fits my collection where the one I was looking at did and in these cases they get deleted from my spreadsheet and I move on.

I had several Dunhills on my list but now I'm down to about 2 as I lost interest in the others. (Actually I have a third Dunhill but unless I get a massive increase in my income I'm not willing to spend the money on an Alphorn.)

As of late I've been all about unique artisan pipes. Here's number 1 on my list:

View attachment 12632

Maybe next month if it's still available. Still unsure as it's a little more than I like to spend.
And back to fantasy land you go! Wow, that is some beautiful briar. I love the built in handle, great pensive pipe! I may be wrong but the less conventional the pipe the longer time you have to ponder it as it won't sell as quickly.

You don't have to worry as I will not be purchasing it out from under you!

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN

View attachment 12632

That pipe is simply outstanding! What a beautiful slice of art it is. Sadly I have champagne taste and a beer wallet.

I need to put an Excel worksheet together for my tobacco cellar, for sure.

One sheet for “To Buy,” etc. Then add script, formulas, ad nauseam to change prices, charts, etc. It should be a fun little project and a humble homage to my old career. (DCOM - Distributed Component Obj Model, I still say f#%} you, you overblown pompous RPC wrapper).

Thank you for the idea!

Last edited:
Reactions: shanez

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
You don't have to worry as I will not be purchasing it out from under you!

I actually don't mind when someone buys one I was looking at. Then I don't have contemplate the cost anymore. ?

There will always be another pipe. It gets expensive when I get in a rush.

It really helps to wait and really consider pipes at this level. A pipe really has to call to me to spend that much. I've removed a few pipes from list after viewing them for the umpteenth time because I noticed something just didn't call to me. Fishnbanjo's pipes were a bit of an exception because of their history.

If the pipe above were in the US it would definately help sway my decision. Buying from out of country can be a hassle sometimes.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
The reality is, if it's your thing enjoy it, but for 300$, well the list is nearly endless.

Might be something you can pick up on eBay for less, and it gives you a reason for the hunt. Because believe you me, the hunt is always better than the 5-10min kill.

True! It’s all pretty much subjective insofar as preferences, all that Jazz. That’s a great idea to just fish for something like this on eBagz.

No doubt it’s $200 of ‘fluff’ which I might snatch up post-depreciation.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Doesn't this also describe Dunhill's dress pipes? (But at a different price.)

Yeah, I mean if you want to go down that road there are lots of twists, turns, dead ends...

What catches my eye is probably not someone else’s cup of tea. Like I get it that it’s not really $300 worth of pipe. (I sort of thought all of these things were unwritten rules ??‍♂️).

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I never felt so old as that time at work I talked with the guy and most of my coworkers were "like sure the guys got a funny name sorta but it's not that funny".

And then there’s the unusual last name in the Kerrigan/Harding incident. Doesn’t that seem like it was only a few short years ago? Time is a strange thing.

Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
And then there’s the unusual last name in the Kerrigan/Harding incident. Doesn’t that seem like it was only a few short years ago? Time is a strange thing.
that job also made me feel old when I became the interns best work friend cause she found out I listen to some classic rock, you know like Nirvana and Soundgarden. Or that time my girlfriend and a co-worker both told me I wouldn't believe it but they saw this movie and it had the Salad Dressing guy in it (yeah Paul Newman who knew he was in a movie or two back in the day).

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
It’s funny how tastes change. I used to hate bulldogs. Straight, bent — hated ‘em.

Long story short I wound up with a straight dog in my collection (Comoy’s with the old ‘barcode’) and man did it ever grow on me! A month ago I added a bent dog without hesitation. I love ‘em!

Sweet little pipe there! I hope you get it and it brings you years of joy :)
I really like the bent bulldog shape, but am very particular in my tastes with regard to dimensions and design. For example, I only like bent bulldogs with saddle stems.

I’m sort of on a quest to find the perfect bent bulldog, but there is so much variation in design and so many unique interpretations of the shape that I’ll probably will just have to keep window shopping,

Reactions: diamondback

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Updated my spreadsheet this morning and had to delete a pipe from Abe Herbaugh and another pipr from someone else as they had been sold. Also deleted a Denovic olive wood pipe as I decided I didn't like it enough to spend the money on it. Saving money already! See, PAD can be somewhat assuaged.

Realigned/prioritized the rest of my list and now have a couple that as soon as budget allows will get ordered. Unless they get sold first. Which would be okay too.

Status
Not open for further replies.