I.P.S.D. Sales - How dysfunctional Were You?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

EssJaySea

Can't Leave
May 12, 2021
Los Angeles, CA
I used to look forward to this day every year for the spiritual significance, reverence, and holiness of it all... but now all of the commercial outlets have ruined it with their petty greed for the almighty dollar, trying to squeeze just one more penny out of us. I resisted. I'm just not going to buy anything this month, and I will celebrate IPSD in my own private and sanctimonious way. puffy
Is there a holiday left that this isn't true of at this point?

vecchio

Lurker
Jan 31, 2021
Tampa, FL
I bought two pipes. A Peterson Atlantic 304 and a Peterson Irish Harp 05. I'll post pics in the Show Us Your Peterson thread next week when they arrive.
I’ll be interested in your evaluation of the Peterson Harp. I have one and the quality is below what I expected.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
I’m trying to resist. When G&H became available, I made an order. There’s nothing I “need”. We’ll see if my restraint lasts until the end of the sale?

Reactions: JOHN72 and RobNYC

Milleniumsmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2020
Vietnam
Is there a holiday left that this isn't true of at this point?
sadly no. One of the best parts about being a pipe smoker is going outside, alone, with no phone and a good pipe and a good book. Leave everyone else to scramble over the latest trends, etc. I will keep smoking and enjoying an authentic lifestyle no matter what anyone says about being unhealthy or old-fashioned. If it was good for my father and grandfather, than it's good enough for me

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Just the opposite. I thinned my herd of a baker's dozen pipes and sent them to SP for store credit. I'm looking for the perfect meerschaum or the perfect Old Antiquari. Been looking for years, but nothing shows up that meets my highly refined pipesmokerly tastes. Keeps my hand in, so to speak, yet costs me nothing.

On the other friggin' hand, I succumbed to the 15% off and did buy another pipe. A cheapo I didn't need. Told myself it's a beater for the car. It's a disease of self-delusion and depravity.

RobNYC

Lifer
Dec 10, 2021
Queens, N.Y.
Today is Saturday. If your order arrives and you decide to load up a bowl, let me know your thoughts.
Well, I had a bowl of Winchester last night, quickly followed by a second and another first thing this morning. Oh, boy! Your description of being similar to Pegasus, which I love, without the Burley is spot on! This is really good stuff. I loaded up straight out of the bag and it was perfect, didn't even need a relight. And the flavor was absolutely fantastic. I am definitely going to be getting a lot more of this.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Well, I had a bowl of Winchester last night, quickly followed by a second and another first thing this morning. Oh, boy! Your description of being similar to Pegasus, which I love, without the Burley is spot on! This is really good stuff. I loaded up straight out of the bag and it was perfect, didn't even need a relight. And the flavor was absolutely fantastic. I am definitely going to be getting a lot more of this.

Pegasus is more interesting but it does have a rough edge which mellows. I’m hoping aging will make it sublime. But, Winchester is as mellow as they come. The cavendish tames the Red Va giving it a creamy smoke with a sweet taste. It’s sidestream is very nice too. Monochromatic compared to the changing ginger snap sweetness of Pegasus but just the ticket for a change of pace when I want brown sugar sweet without being cloying. Nothing artificial. There’s nothing but leaf providing that flavor and mouthfeel. Great stuff! Behaves in the pipe too. Loads and burns well to the bottom.

RobNYC

Lifer
Dec 10, 2021
Queens, N.Y.
Pegasus is more interesting but it does have a rough edge which mellows. I’m hoping aging will make it sublime. But, Winchester is as mellow as they come. The cavendish tames the Red Va giving it a creamy smoke with a sweet taste. It’s sidestream is very nice too. Monochromatic compared to the changing ginger snap sweetness of Pegasus but just the ticket for a change of pace when I want brown sugar sweet without being cloying. Nothing artificial. There’s nothing but leaf providing that flavor and mouthfeel. Great stuff! Behaves in the pipe too. Loads and burns well to the bottom.
I agree wholeheartedly. It is similar but definitely different enough that you can smoke them back to back, which I will do today, and it doesn't feel repetitive at all. They compliment each other very well. That natural sweetness is something that will keep me coming back for sure. The burn properties actually surprised me. This is the kind of tobacco I can load up in a large pipe, put on movie and never have to fuss with. Really great stuff!