PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
What a truly unfortunate situation. However I commend your decision to do what must be done for your health, it shows a great deal of will power.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
When I first became a member three years ago, I always looked forward to your counsel. It felt like it was coming from vast experience.
I as others have stated hope you continue to share with us your awesome knowledge of our hobby. You must take care of your health first, of course.
Good luck, Foggy. I hope after a long absence from your pipes, you will be able to enjoy them occasionally. I once quit my pipes for 20 years, then rejoined the hobby, and haven't stopped since.
But, I moderate. Moderation in all things, eh, Foggy.

skunk

Lurker
Oct 21, 2012
Sorry Foggy. As a 'lurker extraordinaire', I have enjoyed and learned from your posts. Tough choice, but personal health is a priority.
Best Wishes.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
You are doing what is best for your health and for your family. Still continue to participate in the forum since your knowledge and experiences related to pipes and to life in general are appreciated. It is also a nice outlet for fellowship as well.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
It seems all these years of pipe smoking has bestowed enough wisdom on you to make you the smart man you are today, and grant you the courage to make the right decision in terms of your health, life and loved ones. I wish you all the best in your life and i hope that you will continue to succeed in this troubling time, today the student has surpassed its teacher.Remember a pipe shouldn't smoke a man it is a man who tames his pipe. Im glad you put IT to REST.
Be Well

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
foggy, I would definitely get a second opinion and find the right meds that will control your blood pressure so you can continue to smoke. I am of the opinion, I would rather die early doing something I love than live a life with out enjoying it. Drooling in my soup and having to wear a diaper ain't gonna happen to me, I would rather go out early enjoying life to the fullest than end up like that for years, but that is me. I will say that with diet and exercise and the right meds, I just don't see pipe smoking to be a big deal. Now the booze is something that you can quit along with caffeine and see how you do just quitting those. Like Kashmir said, some doctors treat pipe smoking the same as smoking 2 packs a day. Whatever you decide I do wish you the best.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I am so sorry to hear this and wish you the best. As Numbersix has said you are a great friend to the forum and I always enjoyed and learned from your posts.
I am also in the same mindset as Harris, but I am not in your shoes. I do hope you continue to post here.
Dan

Aug 14, 2012
Youngpiper: I wish I had thought of being a pipemaker 50 years ago when I was a skilled woodcarver washing dishes for a living. It would have been a perfect livelihood for me. Now I am way too old and in too poor health do do much of anything except draw & paint, but thanks for the suggestion. I would post some recent paintings but they are all of nude women, therefore unacceptable on this and most sites. If anyone wants to see them look at photo.net/photos/FeodorDefemina. Feodor is another screen name.

Harris: Not much chance I will live to drool in my soup, but thanks for the reminder of what could be ahead. In fact, both of my parents ended up that way, in their 90s. I will not last that long even without smoking. It has been about 32 hours without a smoke so far, and no problem except habit. So I pick up a Dunhill once in a while and stick my nose in the empty bowl. That is close enough.

God bless you all for the wonderful outpouring of support & friendship.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Very sorry to hear it foggy. I hope and pray everything progresses as well as possible for you.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Foggy- your paintings are incredible - I can see how that will make up for pipe smoking.
Not much chance I will live to drool in my soup, but thanks for the reminder of what could be ahead. In fact, both of my parents ended up that way, in their 90s.
FWIW, I've heard that nicotine may ward off dementia - so the many years you smoked may prevent that fate.

captainpeg

Lurker
Mar 27, 2013
Foggy, I'm dismayed to hear the news and I wish you good health and happiness. My most sincere sympathy as you adjust, and I hope you will remain active here!

All the best, always....

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
Please, foggy, just stay with us and contribute as well as enjoy this fine group with so much in common!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

alphaflux

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
United States
I'm sorry to hear this, Foggy. I always enjoy reading your post and look forward to more post from you.
Take care of yourself and keep us informed.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Sorry to hear the news, Foggy.

I would definitely seek secondary and tertiary opinions on this. Smoking several bowls a week of a very low nic blend is not detrimental to ones health. Especially if enjoyed outdoors.

This may be worth looking into.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
Sorry to hear this ill news, foggy. Health comes first though. If you can stick around here, many people would appreciate it. On the other hand, I could see the forum being an annoyance in your position. Either way, best of luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.