PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

EA-6B

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
That is awesome! A soft flame lighter that would work great for a cigar. I had no idea such a thing existed.
The Line1 Cigar Flame nozzles are pretty scarce, L2 nozzles are a little more common. Personally I like a Pipe Flame nozzle. From what I hear, the Pipe Flame works well for cigars, too! This one's been set up for a Righty:
IMG_1997 (2).JPG
?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
Wow! Amazing lighters especially the Kaywoodie. I have a Dunhill but it’s temperamental, as I find all butane lighters to be. (Just my personal opinion) The best pipe lighter I have is a ‘30’s or 40’s Benlow Golmet Motorist and a Chinese copy of the same I found on eBay. I also have a few zippo’s that I’ve used for thirty years or more and I love em (filling my Zippo is the closest thing I get to slamming a magazine home nowadays). It’s the simplicity I love, two moving parts and they’ll fix em for free. That said you have some amazing lighters and your knowledge and repair is incredible. Thanks for sharing them. image.jpg

EA-6B

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
Nice job ?
Wow! Amazing lighters especially the Kaywoodie. I have a Dunhill but it’s temperamental, as I find all butane lighters to be. (Just my personal opinion) The best pipe lighter I have is a ‘30’s or 40’s Benlow Golmet Motorist and a Chinese copy of the same I found on eBay. I also have a few zippo’s that I’ve used for thirty years or more and I love em (filling my Zippo is the closest thing I get to slamming a magazine home nowadays). It’s the simplicity I love, two moving parts and they’ll fix em for free. That said you have some amazing lighters and your knowledge and repair is incredible. Thanks for sharing them.
Thanks! Here's what I've been refreshing during the past week,
a silver-plated Line 2 Tall w/ Standard-Flame nozzle:P1070500.JPG

Unlike the counterfeits, this authentic unit is well-balanced in the hand, & not overweight in the pocket!

P1070512.JPG
?

EA-6B

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
Sure! And a bit of "how to", please.
O.K., one day I'll tell the story of my Greatest Dupont Haul Ever, w/ pics.
Those were some of my nicest units, with an interesting story.
How to: Step 1: Don't buy fakes!!! =D

EA-6B

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
Nicely laid out!
Is that what you use to reassemble?
Thanks, it's mainly to show the progress. Next it will get new seals, & it needs a couple other wear-items to be replaced. Some parts don't always make it into every pic, & sometimes I get half-way through reassembly before I remember to take a pic, but laying it out gives me one more chance to look everything over, & to realize if I've managed to lose anything yet, etc.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Mr_houston

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2020
Texas
This is a great thread.

With all you’ve learned about lighters, is there a modern lighter that you’d recommend to the average pipe smoker?

Reactions: edger

EA-6B

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
This is a great thread.

With all you’ve learned about lighters, is there a modern lighter that you’d recommend to the average pipe smoker?
Whatever works best for you is what you should use.
Personally for me, I stopped looking once I started running a Dupont Line1 with barrel-style flame adjuster. Adding a Pipe-Flame nozzle made it even better. If we're talking about Duponts, in my experience, a Line1 with the barrel-style flame adjuster is the way to go for pipe smokers who want a Dupont, & I don't suggest the Line2 model for a pipe-smoker.

Hit me up at the Chicago Pipe show and I will give you all my old lighters. Some better than others.
I wouldn't be able to do that, but, whatcha got anyway?

EA-6B

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
From the bench - after cleaning & before new seals:
P1070582.JPG

It's a silver-plated Line1 Tall with a Standard-Flame nozzle, here checking the new lid-stop pad & dialing in the range of the flame-height:
IMG_2610.JPG
IMG_2611.JPG
IMG_2616.JPG
?

Reactions: Casual

EA-6B

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
That is one clean machine! Well done.
Thanks! No leaks, either!
Here's a "Before" shot:

50888676443_57936b1986_z.jpg

And another look at the "After":
50888676378_8c692b8dc0_z.jpg

You can see the difference that the new lid-stop pad makes. That's where the lid should be, not sticking straight up like it is in the "before" shot. The stock lid-stop pads can go bad after many years of use, & my replacement will be good for many more.
:col:

Status
Not open for further replies.