PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarlet claw

Can't Leave
Mar 9, 2020
Here's an old Kaywoodie pipe lighter, made in Japan:
View attachment 22783View attachment 22784
I really like the looks of these, & the all-metal construction is something that I look for in general, but if the F-12 is a PITA to work on, then these are pure torture. Very tough to get the case off without damage, & the regulators are tough to rebuild without creating a flamethrower. The regulator adjuster (screw-looking thing in center of bottom) is also easy to break, & tough to find a seal for. Also, this is definitely a lighter for right-handed people. It's easy to light if your thumb is on the striker (right hand), but if you fingers are actuating it (left hand), the lighter likes to roll 90 degrees when trying to light.
View attachment 22785
View attachment 22786
Looks like you could get a very even light with that lighter. good job.?

EA-6B

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
The top Flame adjustment valve seems to be a two piece unit by design. Have you ever been able to take it apart to replace the inner seal... I think it's possibly pressed in together as I see no way to unscrew it to get to the internals. Unfortunately I Just received a Chrome plated F-12 without the Flint spring screw assembly...Happen to have and extra you could part with?
Sorry, I have only one F-12 parts lighter that I'm still hanging on to.
It's been a while since I've actually worked on my F-12s, & now I'm looking at my "parts" lighter (which is missing the top valve/regulator), but on the top of the tank you'd leave the gas-block in place. (The brass snorkel tube is pressed into the side of the gas-block, & the tube is removable from the gas-block.) You should be able to un-thread the valve/regulator from the center of the gas-block, while the gas-block would stay in place on the tank.

On the bottom, if the fill-valve body is frozen & doesn't want to thread out easily, vice-grips will probably chew it up or squash it out-of-round. Best bet for a last-chance attempt would be to grab it with side-cutters & try to get it to thread out that way. Best thing to do there is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Looks like you could get a very even light with that lighter. good job.?
Thanks! They're fun, but are very challenging to open up & fix. Also, they're not the greatest to use if you light with your left hand like I do. It'll tend to roll 90 degrees when lighting lefty.
Here are a couple in their boxes:
IMG_2054.JPG
IMG_2041.JPG

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Very interesting compendium! Thanks.

But here's a great way to scorch your rims, perhaps in time you can actually char the wood.
img_2095-jpg.26472

EA-6B

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
Prince "Pipette 10" :
IMG_2097.JPG

This is a contemporary version of their original Pipette, still with a plastic internal tank. The flame regulator has been changed from a slide on the side to a wheel on the bottom, but obviously still very easy to adjust, & will burn with a very low flame if desired. Overall, the lighter is slightly larger than the original.
IMG_2100.JPG
IMG_2101.JPG
I don't have pics of it in action or an "exploded" view, but it works well!
If I were to make one minor improvement, (short of an actual brass internal tank), is that I would have made the adjustment wheel out of metal. Other than that, it's nice to see that a newer version of these original Pipettes exist.

You might see "Pipette 10"s listed as "Pipette 8"s out there, but it's not a Pipette 8. Here's a Pipette 8: (not my lighter or pic)
prince-pipo-500x500.jpg

Very interesting compendium! Thanks.
Thanks! I've commented on his flagrant lighting ways earlier! =)
That guy is going to scorch his rim! In practice, these burn really well when the flame is turned down, & the flame is also easy to adjust.

EA-6B

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
Kaywoodie with a brushed-chrome finish.
This one works, but it regulator still needs some tuning:

IMG_2110.JPG
They've made these using different colors for the circle as well.
I've seen them with neon-blue circles, & maybe there are others. The green seems to be the most common.

"Exploded" view from lighter posted earlier:
P1060404.JPG
Anything having to do with the regulator on these is tough to rebuild.

EA-6B

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
Here are some other Colibri/ Prince Pipettes with different finishes:
IMG_2107.JPG
IMG_2113.JPG

'70's/ '80's "woodgrain" pattern:
IMG_2106.JPG
IMG_2112.JPG

Some of these had a chrome stripe down the front:
IMG_2108.JPG
Reminds me of Subarus WR Rally Blue & Gold livery:
IMG_2114.JPG

The Princes have a slightly different treatment on the bottom than the Colibris. Besides the stickered vs. stamped branding, slightly wider fill-caps, & occasionally slightly different fill-valves, they are basically the same lighters.
IMG_2116.JPG

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Got a couple of Beattie Jet Lighters from Sante (fishnbanjo/bambooshank) a couple years ago...Had one in the 60's but it disappeared and I was missing having one...good lighters, gave one to a good friend and kept the other.

EA-6B

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
Beatties are unique, I've never had one though. I don't think that I'd actually want to use one on my pipes, due to lack of flame-height adjustment. I'm sure that I'd scorch the rim! I like to have a flame-height adjustment, & it has to be quick & easy, one-handed, ideally. That's one reason as to why I like those old Colibri/Prince Pipettes, & the Line1 Duponts with the barrel-style flame-height adjuster. The flame-height adjusters are simple & easy to use on those units, & I don't need any tools or have to fiddle around with anything!
IMG_2021.JPG
IMG_2022.JPG
IMG_2024.JPG
?

Lawyer66

Can't Leave
Nov 21, 2020
Grand Cayman
Just ordered an Erik Stokkebye 4th Gen Lighter and it may have gotten damaged in shipping, I will find out more soon. I've been using matches mostly but I know having a dedicated lighter will make things more convenient.

Reactions: EA-6B

EA-6B

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
Just ordered an Erik Stokkebye 4th Gen Lighter and it may have gotten damaged in shipping, I will find out more soon. I've been using matches mostly but I know having a dedicated lighter will make things more convenient.
Don't know that much about those specifically. Why do you think yours got damaged in shipping?

Nice post's
Check out my channel
What's your warranty on what you sell there? I've enjoyed a couple of your vids in the past, although you probably should make your own thread to highlight your channel, instead of in my thread. Send me a PM when you have a chance, as I have some stuff you might be interested in.

Lawyer66

Can't Leave
Nov 21, 2020
Grand Cayman
Don't know that much about those specifically. Why do you think yours got damaged in shipping?

I got an email stating there were problems with the package. Outside of it possibly being prohibited for shipment, that's the only other reason I can think of at this point. It would be a bummer too, always wanted a real pipe lighter in the IM Corona style.

EA-6B

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
I got an email stating there were problems with the package. Outside of it possibly being prohibited for shipment, that's the only other reason I can think of at this point. It would be a bummer too, always wanted a real pipe lighter in the IM Corona style.
I nearly started running an Old Boy, basically I was at the point where I was running one of the Pipettes as my daily...IMG_2107.JPG
... & I like them & think that they're cool & nearly ideal pipe lighters, but if you use one daily, it's going to start to get worn out after a couple of years. Plus, it's tough to find one that doesn't need repair, parts are hard to find, etc.
My possible upgrades were to start using the Pipette 10...
IMG_2097.JPG
..which is the contemporary version of what I was using, & which I had just purchased new at the time. But, it had a plastic internal gas tank & a plastic flame adjuster wheel on the bottom, which I really wish were all metal. I really wanted something with a metal tank & no plastic internal frame, so scratch IM Corona PipeMaster off of the list. Plus I stopped buying anything with piezo ignitions a long time ago. I already have a tin full of bad piezos that look just like the one in the pic below, no need for me to add any more.
IMC Pipemaster.jpeg

I tried an IM Corona Accord Pipe which was OK, definitely much higher parts & build-quality than the Pipemaster. No piezo or plastic. But I would have trouble striking the Accord anyway, I'm assuming mostly my own fault/ left-handedness. I started looking at IM Corona Old Boys, which are of the same quality as the Pete Old Boys (A.K.A. Tsubota Pearl Eddie - Old Version), & I ended up picking up the Pete. It did appear to be of decent build-quality, but I never actually used it because right around the same time that it showed up, my first "estate" Dupont Line1 had also arrived, & after a couple weeks of running that, there was no need in my mind for me to worry about trying to find a better lighter. The parts & build-quality was miles above the IMC & Pete stuff, & I was in it for similar money. It needed a refresh & some seals since it was ~50 years old, & I also put a Pipe-Flame nozzle on it, which all added to the cost a little bit. This is a pic of it after running it hard daily for at least a couple years, then giving it a refresh before storage.
Lighter3.JPG
My current daily for the past couple of years or so:
Dupont L1.JPG
Currently with a Pipe Flame nozzle. I've already dropped it probably 100 times, but they're built like tanks, so I never worry about it.
So, that's my story on how I almost started running an Old Boy. =)
?

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

EA-6B

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
Here's one of the first Dupont Line1s that I picked up, a tall silver-plated unit. This one is interesting because it has a Line1 twin-port Cigar-Flame nozzle on it, which makes for a thicker, wider flame.
IMG_1256.JPG
Next to a Standard Flame nozzle:
30625663318_1f611e8bba_c_d.jpg

Cigar Flame on the left:
42686872340_e8e98a0377_c_d.jpg

30625663158_a48f8115a2_c_d.jpg

This is different from the Line2 twin-port Cigar Flame nozzle which makes a thicker flame on a lower setting, then splits to a double flame v-flame when you turn the gas up:P1070092.JPG
P1070095.JPG
I originally bought both of those lighters having no idea that Cigar Flame nozzles even existed!

Status
Not open for further replies.