PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

EA-6B

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
I found some pics of my lighters that I've gotten running in the past, enjoy!
Here's an old Flaminaire F-12 pipe lighter:
IMG_0296.JPG
IMG_0295.JPG
IMG_0294.JPG
Chrome plated brass case, brass tank, flint ignition, & soft-flame butane pipe flame. PITA to work on, & the plastic frame up top can soften up if you let it burn for a long time & let it get too hot around the nozzle. Then things can start to move out of alignment, & it could be toast.
The roller is neat, in one direction it rolls & sparks, & the red center section lifts up out of the outer barrel & against a lever to open the gas valve at the same time. You can also see the red warning at that point, so you know that the gas is open. Roll it back the other way & it freewheels so you're not grinding against the flint, but it still lowers & hides the red center section, & closes the gas valve. The flame adjustment knob is on the opposite side of the flame port.
IMG_0297.JPG
I like using these, but I don't like working on them! I bought a handful of these & got them going, until I hit one that I accidentally destroyed when taking it apart. That's now my F-12 parts lighter. =)

EA-6B

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
Here's an old Kaywoodie pipe lighter, made in Japan:
P1060405.JPGP1060407.JPG
I really like the looks of these, & the all-metal construction is something that I look for in general, but if the F-12 is a PITA to work on, then these are pure torture. Very tough to get the case off without damage, & the regulators are tough to rebuild without creating a flamethrower. The regulator adjuster (screw-looking thing in center of bottom) is also easy to break, & tough to find a seal for. Also, this is definitely a lighter for right-handed people. It's easy to light if your thumb is on the striker (right hand), but if you fingers are actuating it (left hand), the lighter likes to roll 90 degrees when trying to light.
P1060404.JPG
P1060410.JPG

EA-6B

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
Here's an old French Myon Pipeflam :
P1060351.JPG

Flint, butane, soft-flame, all-metal construction.
P1060356.JPG
P1060352.JPG

If you had one of these back in the day, you'd swap tanks at the drug-store for the cost of a fill. The tanks are a PITA for me to fill, I probably waste as much as I can actually get to go in the tank.
P1060353.JPG

I had to re-notch the flint tube so that the 'finger' on the spring-loaded follower had something to lock into. The original metal over the original notch had snapped off when someone tried to take it apart while it was stuck.
P1060355.JPG

These are similar to the Kaywoodie in that they are easier to use with the right hand. Not really great if you're a lefty. These also have no flame adjustment, it's either "on" or "off"!
P1060350.JPG

EA-6B

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
Flamex Slidematic Pipe:
P1060344.JPG
Left has a flame-adjustment lever up top, & a flat flame-port.
Right has a flame-adjustment screw on the bottom, & a hooded port.

P1060345.JPG
Both have metal tanks,
P1060349.JPG
& different guts:
P1060394.JPG
P1060395.JPG
P1060347.JPG
Couple others that I managed to get running:
P1060398.JPG

EA-6B

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
Dug out some stuff with boxes, here's another Myon Pipeflam:
IMG_2040.JPG
Usually I'll get these running if I pick one up, but I left this one alone due to the price sticker still being in place. Not sure if that's an original retail sticker or an antique store price tag, but in either case, the lighter looks like it's never been used.

Pierre1965

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2020
Beautiful! I only have two Zippos; one I bought in 1989 and one that my son got me for Christmas 2017. I've just been looking at various vintage lighters like some Parkers, but I don't have any idea which ones are good.

EA-6B

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
Thanks for the comments, a lot of the time you end up figuring out what not to buy (more of), for whatever reason(s). I don't know that much about Parkers, but I'm sure that they've done branding "collabos" with Dunhill & Flaminaire back in the day, so there are probably some nice Parker-branded Dunhills & Flaminaires out there. I have a couple pics of my Zippos for later on. For now, here's another case that I dug out.

Case for Flamex Slidematic Pipe:

IMG_2057.JPG

These cases aren't too common & I like the textured pattern, red felt, & the oxblood sticker with gold foil text. I also have a different one where the cutout is molded for the "extended-nozzle" version, but it's not a good-looking case, so I didn't take a picture of it =) .
IMG_2058.JPG

Jun 9, 2018
England
I only have a couple of nice lighters but I do love looking at other people's, especially older ones with quirky designs like the Nimrod and that Kaywoodie.

My best one is a silver Sillem's Old Boy with a blood red Chinese lacquer. It's a great lighter that actually bulges, like it's pregnant with the gas.

IMG_20200328_203352.jpg
IMG_20200328_203202.jpg

If it is with (liquid) child I think I have a good idea who the father is:

IMG_20200328_202614.jpg

EA-6B

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
I just picked up my first nimrod. Just thought it had a cool look.
Sportsman or Commander? I had a Sportsman that came in a lot of lighters that I bought, & I sold it. It was fun to play around with, but I stopped using petrol lighters a long time ago.

Here are my Zippos:
IMG_2051.JPG
The orange one is some sort of Y2K limited edition, I think. I bought it new shortly after it was released some time ~2000, & ran it for a few years, usually alongside Bics, until I decided to switch to butane-only, & to look for something more geared towards pipes. I've had a few Zippos before the orange one, & have lost them all over the years. I did grab a good deal on a new '41 replica w/ polished solid silver case, which I just keep in the box since it is so minty. =)
IMG_2052.JPG

My best one is a silver Sillem's Old Boy with a blood red Chinese lacquer.

Nice, pipe nozzle?

Jun 9, 2018
England
Sportsman or Commander? I had a Sportsman that came in a lot of lighters that I bought, & I sold it. It was fun to play around with, but I stopped using petrol lighters a long time ago.

Here are my Zippos:
View attachment 24337
The orange one is some sort of Y2K limited edition, I think. I bought it new shortly after it was released some time ~2000, & ran it for a few years, usually alongside Bics, until I decided to switch to butane-only, & to look for something more geared towards pipes. I've had a few Zippos before the orange one, & have lost them all over the years. I did grab a good deal on a new '41 replica w/ polished solid silver case, which I just keep in the box since it is so minty. =)
View attachment 24338

Nice, pipe nozzle?

I have a replica of the original, it's not silver though.
I bought it in the UK in about 1988, it came in a nice presentation box. It's at my mum's house with a load of my other junk/collectables.

EA-6B

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
Something else out of Bradford, P.A., a New Method Self Starting Lighter:
IMG_2044.JPG

Never been fired!
IMG_2045.JPG

Ball of Platinum Black suspended with very thin platinum wire.
IMG_2046.JPG

I have one that I fire up once in a while just for kicks, but I don't actually use it. They run on methanol, so it smells like being at the drag-strip when it lights off! I run mine on HEET (yellow bottle).

Status
Not open for further replies.