PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

RodneyPierce

Might Stick Around
Oct 9, 2020
Marion, IA
I’ve had three friends ranging in ages from 30-54 who got it and were on ventilators for weeks. Very glad you are experiencing mild symptoms so far. Keep an eye on how you feel. It’s a toss up!

They had it rough then. I've known over a dozen people that have gotten it, probably closer to 20 at this point. One went on a vent, two were very sick and the rest were ranging from common cold side effects to feeling like they had the flu.

I feel you've got great chances coming out just fine OP! You have been given some solid advice here :)

Aug 1, 2012
What follows is not, and should not be construed as medical advice in any way. It is only a personal take on precautions I would take for the infection.

Best of luck OP. No sense in getting too worried right away. You have a great chance of having mild to moderate symptoms with no lasting effects. But, if it were me I would stay aware of my condition. It's better if one has someone they know that (s)he can call every day and check in. With a couple members of my family, it went downhill quickly but was managed with hospital treatment. The caution for me there is it can change from OK to "oh crap" in only a few hours. Others barely felt it. The other reason I would talk with people is that one of my wife's cousins had major memory issues as a result of her Covid-19 infection. She didn't know it in isolation but talking to her family is what helped her figure out something was wrong.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Get well soon @hauntedmyst ! Doctors at the clinic were pretty sure wife and I had it, but they called us and told us our tests got screwed up and I didn’t want to go back just to get retested. We were working from home anyway, so he treated it like COVID based off the CTs and X-Rays. Felt like a bad case of the flu, but with pneumonia and a massive headache, too. Taste and smell went away for a while, but returned to normal. If you’re not having bad respiratory symptoms, you’ll probably get over it in about the same timeframe as you would with the flu.

Rockyrepose

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Wyoming USA
I'm about a month out of quarantine where I lived in the basement while my wife was upstairs. Asymptomatic other than a super mild sinusitis, almost imagined really. When I say asymptomatic I mean no loss of taste or smell and my temperature has been normal, no fever.

My wife who had a couple of work exposures and exposure from me, has been tested four times all negative results.

I PR'd on the indoor bike during my 10 days quarantined. I felt fine and wanted to stress my cardio system just to prove to myself that I wasn't going to die I guess. Did nothing different other than staying home in basement for ten days.

My exposure was work related and can be traced to a positive person. A month prior, my employer blood draw showed no antibodies.

I wish you a speedy and boring quarantine!!!

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Damn brother, sorry to hear. My son who is 32 had it, only symptoms were loss of taste n smell for a week and just didn’t “feel right” neurologically. I guess that’s why the list of possible symptoms fills a whole page, different for everybody. Look at it this way, now you have nothing to do all day but sit on here and dole out your trademarked brand of sharp witted smartassery:)
Feel better soon!

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
Wishing you a speedy recovery! My family all had it at the beginning of November. It was like a head cold with body aches for us. We were really only sick for about 6 days, then recovered slowly over the next week. I did lose all ability to smell and almost all taste, but it came back, slow at first after 9 days and then has continuously gotten better. I'm at 90% smell recovery now. Lots of rest, hydration, Vitamin C (Ester C is the best, IMO) and Vitamin D. I continued to smoke a pipe until I lost taste, at which point it was pretty unfulfilling.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
The experts say that once everyone gets vaccinated then the entire world goes back to normal.

And if someone refuses the vaccine ? I bet a big bright red X will be tattooed on their forehead and they will be shunned from society. Forever. :) Personally i believe in natural "herd immunity." Everyone has - or will be exposed to whatever strain is going around.

To the OP, get better quick, you'll be just fine. I had the "Cov-odd 19" and it was a week of the typical flu. I never lost my taste or smell, just a headache, fever, chills and tired. Be aware that blood clot issues are a big concern as well as the shortness of breath stuff.

Last edited:

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Well, I got COVID so, rather than going to the doctors or a immediate care, I thought I'd reach out to the surest source of up to the minute, laser strike accurate information, the internet! Ha! I'm kidding. Been to multiple doctors. Here in Illinois the state calls you after you test positive. That is some outstanding HIPAA controls if you ask me.

So anyone else had this? I'm not exactly clinging to life. I just feel like I have a flu. Any tips? (And don''t say treat every medicine like a suppository for a quicker recovery, the pharmacist got me with that one last night. I wasn't easy to down a bottle of Nyquil like that!)
You sure you don't have IfVid or FluVid :ROFLMAO: ? Just relax, stay hydrated and rideout the chest cold - You are fine

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
Evidently I had it and didn’t even know it. I got lucky.
I think I had the same situation.
In late March I had the loss of taste smell thing, but don't recall any other illness.

Wasn't there early research that said that nicotine in the bloodstream might help keep the virus off cause Nic takes up the same space that the virus needs?
Or was it that it just reduces the amount of virus and therefore the sickness is less?

I read somewhere else that it wasn't a confirmed correlation, but they were seeing less cigarette smokers vs the rest of the general population, which was counterintuitive (aka, bad lungs being a negative factor).
Someone should definitely study us pipe smokers.
We don't inhale, but we still get the "positive" benefits of the nicotine.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Well, I got COVID so, rather than going to the doctors or a immediate care, I thought I'd reach out to the surest source of up to the minute, laser strike accurate information, the internet! Ha! I'm kidding. Been to multiple doctors. Here in Illinois the state calls you after you test positive. That is some outstanding HIPAA controls if you ask me.

So anyone else had this? I'm not exactly clinging to life. I just feel like I have a flu. Any tips? (And don''t say treat every medicine like a suppository for a quicker recovery, the pharmacist got me with that one last night. I wasn't easy to down a bottle of Nyquil like that!)
Vit C and Zink at high dosses.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
I find nice hot meat or poultry/vegetable broths very soothing and satisfying when I'm sick. I don't eat much at all - but drink plenty of fresh juices (I invested in a Pure Juice press machine) and I drink purified ionized water (I have a Kangen machine). I'd go into more specific details regarding herbal medicine and detoxing regimens but I doubt that's acceptable here.

Status
Not open for further replies.