PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Well, I got COVID so, rather than going to the doctors or a immediate care, I thought I'd reach out to the surest source of up to the minute, laser strike accurate information, the internet! Ha! I'm kidding. Been to multiple doctors. Here in Illinois the state calls you after you test positive. That is some outstanding HIPAA controls if you ask me.

So anyone else had this? I'm not exactly clinging to life. I just feel like I have a flu. Any tips? (And don''t say treat every medicine like a suppository for a quicker recovery, the pharmacist got me with that one last night. I wasn't easy to down a bottle of Nyquil like that!)

Last edited by a moderator:

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Treat it like any flu. Unless you're in respiratory distress, stay out of the hospital.

Rest, eat well (loss of apetite is one symptom of flus, so just eat well as much as you can), drink your fluids, don't miss on your vitamins C & D, get your zinc (crab meat has lots) and drink tonic water.

Godspeed!

DonutLuvr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2019
Butler County, Ohio
I had it in early November. My sense of taste returned finally over a week ago and I’m like almost all the way back with sense of smell.

Lacking taste and smell, it was really hard for me to eat food the first few days I had it. It was just a chore to eat mostly anything. I did a lot of soup during the worst of it until I regained my appetite. It was still hard to eat when you can’t taste what you are putting in you. At least for me.

Stay hydrated, be sure to eat even if it’s hard to! A multIvitamin with zinc, lots of water/sprite/seven up, tylenol... you will soon start feeling better.

My parents had it and their doctor gave them a few different prescriptions, I think mainly for coughing to help. They are in their late 60s early 70s. My doctor just told me to use robitussin for the coughing. I started rounding the corner and felt better after about 14 days with it. Around the same length of time for my parents. My sister, who unknowingly gave it to my parents, she was feeling better with under a week of having it.

Everyone is different with how it effects them. If you have trouble breathing, during it, get to a doctor!

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
97% of those who get the disease survive it.

It might be a relief for you to know that the percentage of people who survive is higher than that.

With 17 million cases, there would be considerably more deaths if 3% were dying.

308,000 deaths as of today, according to the googley box.

1.76% is the supposedly the death rate, of course there are factors that might make this smaller.. like the fact that some cases have gone unreported, because for whatever reason those people didn't get tested.. Most likely because they weren't very sick. So my point is that the real number is half of what is posted above, and that's without considering those factors that make that real number less.

Get well hauntedmyst!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I think "Cov-odd-19" discussions are off limits here.
I'm no mod, but I think it should be OK as long as it doesn't degenerate into a POV war. Personally, I think it's beneficial to hear first-hand experiences on symptoms and aetiology and remedies that have worked and recovery and sequelae. Last thread about it where people were sharing recovery experiences helped me assuage my parents' fears: they were not unlike some of those folks who think a C19 diagnosis is an irreversible death sentence and are frightened out of their wits. Being frightened is not good: it depresses the immune system which is one thing that must be boosted not brought down with endless fear-mongering. Telling them (and others) about REAL people we talk to who have been through it and over it encourages those affrighted folks and gives them hope.

Unfortunately, last thread got closed when the doomsayers started being doctoral towards those who want to have an equanimous attitude and approach to this whole thing. Hopefully, the same thing won't happen again.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I had it. Take Vitamin D and C along with zinc. Space the C out over the course of the day. Overload on it but space it out. A pulse monitor is a good thing. If it goes below 92 for awhile, time to go to emergency care. My symptoms were very mild, I hope yours are as well. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
No rules are broken here until it gets political.

My aunt and her husband and two sons had it. The husband and the sons were just showing mild symptoms, however my aunt had to be hospitalised because she had difficulty breathing, luckily she survived. Because Azerbaijan is a small country, I know many people who caught the virus; lots of friends, friends' parents, relatives, etc. We have at least 4000 new cases and at least 40 deaths every day. For a country with the population of 10 million, I think it is too much.

There are many conspiracy theories, and there will be in every situation. We shouldn't focus on them right now, we should focus on the health of ourselves and our loved ones. Stay safe everyone. And don't forget, smoking a pipe is a good excuse to keep the social distance ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.