PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I shun Youtube videos if they are more than a few minutes. Unless there's a very lovely lady (read: hot chick; gorgeous babe, etc.) talking about something interesting. Yet to see one, but do post links if you got 'em.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
I love how individuals can sit back and read a book or the newspaper for an hour or more with their pipe in mouth and coffee in hand etc., but if a forum post is longer than a paragraph they chose to ignore it. LOL
Really didn't mean to offend. I started reading, faded away...then went to the post below to see Cosmic say "That's too much to read".
Sometimes my attention span is that of a three year old in a toy store. I'm not on-board with the Royal Yuck, though. Sorry.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I'm fairly sure I've not seen such a "defensive" original post. An awful lot of what "I am not" as opposed the "what I am."
I admit I only got through the first few sentences. Then I stopped, wondering who he was defending himself to. Did I miss a post which charged all Tubers to be what he says he isn't?

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I just find it funny that someone can read a book for hours, but if a forum post is a long paragraph they can't be bothered. LOL I get that its hard to read screen/monitors for long periods as it has an affect on the eyes. I was just making a general comment, as I find it funny. For me I can't focus on a book for long periods, but my wife can go for hours. I just think its funny how our minds work and what people chose to focus their minds on. Personally anything on here has got to better than anything in the newspaper. LOL

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
@jmill208
I'm not on-board with the Royal Yuck, though. Sorry.
It's an acquired taste. That does not mean it's a universal one, only that one acquires it. I have. Send me all your Royal Yacht and I'll dispose of it...
@warren
I'm fairly sure I've not seen such a "defensive" original post.
Internet lore holds that YouTube commenters are morons, and on pipe forums -- although not such fine and polite places as this one -- it has been often commented that the average YouTube pipe reviewer is a bearded, tatted, self-obsessed hipster and also usually a moron.
@metalheadycigarguy
If you do take 5 minutes to read it you'll find that this is a very interesting article. I to am a YT Pipe Presenter and part of the YTPC and theediabeticman is a friend of mine. Yes we met via YT, but beyond the simple comments we might leave for one another on our video's, we also chat on an app called Voxer. So while he might be 2000 miles away, we've had many conversations just as if we were sitting in the same room. Without YT I would not have met him or the many other individuals I've had the pleasure of meeting in person and/or chatting on Voxer or Skype. While some may disagree with the concept of the YTPC, its a great place to learn about pipes and tobacco and to meet individuals that all share the love of the pipe.
I liked it. However, it fails at addressing its audience. Hopefully he'll join here and not worry about self-esteem issues related to YouTube and online communities. People are people anywhere, however you connect. We get it. People here are like that, I think.
@Cosmic
The text reads as if someone from another country (a dialect that I am not familiar with) writing with a freeform, beatnick-esque sort of meandering.
I might also add he gave us a clue with the C.S. Lewis mention: I saw some influences there from older British literature, maybe 1930s vintage.
The beatnik equivalent might be Desolation Angels. Probably Kerouac at his best, but Burroughs was still the best of them!

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
That's too much for me to read. I'm pretty sure it's probably a great novel, but I'll wait till the movie comes out.

Funny coming from a guy who found 8k worth of posts to comment on in a couple of years. 8O

Now, admit it... if I had of just posted, "Good to meet you.See you on youtube." No one would have read it either, and everyone would have said the same as me. While probably not the attention he expected, more people actually tried to understand what he said.

Except metalheadycigarguy, who is fluent in this stuff. :wink:

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Warren - LOL you don't have to but it is an interesting read.
Deathmetal - he is a member of the forum. He just doesn't post very much. He's also from the Midwest and not from across the pond.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I read the whole thing. DM sums the post up very accurately, though the OP doesn't state that he's a founder of YTPC, just that he's a proud member of it.
I will admit that I'm one of those who has made disparaging comments about smiling bearded YouTube pipe presenters. Given the videos I've seen, my response is honest. They have been over long, boring, and self indulgent. I haven't called any of the presenters morons, as of yet. Maybe some of these videos are like this because the presenters are aiming them at their friends in the community, not the visitor from foreign climes who has no interest in hearing what they had for yesterdays breakfast.
I've also seen a few very helpful informational videos on YouTube. So it's not a wasteland by any means.
But like a lot of videos I see when I'm judging at the Academy, they're not professional in quality or content. And I suppose that it's fair that they wouldn't be. This is just folks sharing their passion.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Okay! I read it all. Some of it twice. It now strikes me as more of a "stream of conscious" essay. Very defensive in places. It also has many not unreasonable observations. But, in the short run, a group of people are usually identified with the most notable? or obnoxious? of the group. Just human nature I think. So, being lumped with "lunatic fringe" is simply a fact of life.
I was a copper in an earlier life and many people lump all cops as a group defining the group as "dirty or blood thirsty cops." Not as a group of very different individuals. I think the OP is defying human nature in trying to separate the serious from the not so serious of a group. Not that many people are as discerning as you, I and the OP would like them to be.
So, worth the read it was. The OP is swimming against the current though. The people he wishes to reach are not interested in his point of view.
Did I get?

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
The trouble with this forum is the trouble with all message boards.

The faceless, snide comments.

Always and ever on the attack of anything outside of the clique's realm. I am sure the YTPC (YouTube Pipe Commnity) is a clique as well, but perhaps the fact they show face and interact in real time makes it harder to be the troll.

It is always the same with forums. The circle grows tighter and tighter as the old guard pushes out any new posters who may have an unpopular idea or just can't keep up with "in" jokes.

I post and read on both platforms. I find less and less that is interesting here. The other is the usually the same old thing, but at least it is civil.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
@sablebrush52
I will admit that I'm one of those who has made disparaging comments about smiling bearded YouTube pipe presenters. Given the videos I've seen, my response is honest.
That has been my perception as well. Their enthusiasm is gratifying; their methods need work perhaps.
@warren
I was a copper in an earlier life and many people lump all cops as a group defining the group as "dirty or blood thirsty cops." Not as a group of very different individuals.
This one has always bothered me as well, since lumping such a group together is so obviously factually wrong. People also seem to want to blame cops for the (often insane) laws they are tasked with enforcing.
@metalheadycigarguy
he is a member of the forum. He just doesn't post very much.
I think it's a good statement, in the wrong form. I could re-write it into something more appealing if you would like, but would need additional information.
@twangthang
The trouble with this forum is the trouble with all message boards.

The faceless, snide comments.
Is that really the problem with all message boards? If you ask me, the problem on the internet is too many dunces and attention whores, and forum policing of this nature is hostile to outsiders who have made insufficient study of the forum for that reason. I agree it can go too far, and I think your warning is timely, but your diagnosis I cannot agree with.

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
Ok, so I didn't actually read the original post. But I do frequent both the forums and YouTube for my fix of pipe-related blathering. The forums are great for the conversational aspect that allows for ideas to get bounced back and forth between people much more efficiently than can easily be accomplished on YouTube (the comment section is a poor stand in for a forum thread). But as a more visual thinker and someone who often tends towards visual media, a well done video can be a joy. The one issue I've had is that there's just a lot of pretty mediocre videos to wade through before finding something worth returning to. Luckily a couple channels have come to my attention that successfully deliver what I like in pipe-related reviews and whatnot, and so I have a dependable source of decent quality videos ("Stuff & Things" being one of my current personal favorites).
Neither is inherently superior to the other, and despite the stereotypes there exists enough variety in both forums and YouTubers that an individual may find enjoyable content.

Status
Not open for further replies.