PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
So there's a community of people on youtube that take videos of themselves smoking a pipe? Perhaps describing the tobacco as they smoke a bowl?
That has to be about as exciting as the YTIMC. (youtube Ice Melting Community. Videos of people watching ice melt. Although I must admit, the videos from the Greenland and Iceland members have significantly more import than most others).

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I shun all YouTube pipe and tobacco reviews as much as I shun the 'What Are You Smoking' forum as I've never understood the purpose of either.
As others have said, just give me a concise written review as that is all that is needed, at least for me. But, if you enjoy watching someone blowing smoke in the camera lens while they rattle off their respective opinions then you do indeed have a plethora of such vapid (my personal opinion) video's to choose from.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Most things are mediocre. However, now that the YTPC has a presence here, maybe we can swap some information back and forth. Such as what a good video pipe tobacco blend review (VPTBR) would be like.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
sable: I represented that stereotype honorably and for many years. Then they built a new station house with an extensive gym. Now all the young guys and gals I see look like recruiting poster models. I wonder how I'd look today, well cut, with wide shoulders and narrow waist? At 5'8" and 180 to 200# I was hardly the recruiting poster type. Got the job done though, well and with a bit of empathy. So I've been told.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Most things are mediocre. However, now that the YTPC has a presence here, maybe we can swap some information back and forth. Such as what a good video pipe tobacco blend review (VPTBR) would be like.
Under 3 or 4 minutes! That would be a good start.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Under 3 or 4 minutes! That would be a good start.
I think it depends on what topic is being covered, and if the intent is to be purely informational. A good tobacco blend review can be done in 30 seconds. Think about it. Most commercials are between 30 seconds and a minute and in that period of time the pitch is made with time to spare.
If the intent is to share thoughts or musings, that takes as long as it takes.
The rule of thumb is you have to engage the viewer within the first 10 seconds, or you're through.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Dude, text ain't the medium on which to found an argument about the legitimacy of youtube videos. If you want people to see that there is something worth watching post a blooming link that's worth the squeeze. What you've done here is tantamount to stepping up to the free throw line only to drop an epic airball. Seriously, this a huge rambling post with no point, which is ironically, the exact problem with the majority of YTPC vids. Fortunately, I don't want to hit myself for wasting 20 minutes of precious life only to find out that there was no point.
I wil say there are a couple of guys out there that do make decent vids, several of which have been credited on these boards in the previous youtube thread.
TL:DR
Put up or shut up.

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
Now that so much has been written about the YTPC, the OP and/or a few other representatives need to be invited to speak further on the subject on the Radio Show podcast. :puffy:

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
I watch one pipe channel on YouTube and overall like it very much but I'm pretty sure it isn't the channel of the OP based on his opening description of himself. I've seen several other videos that mostly bored the hell out of me.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
@deathmetal wrote:
I don't watch YouTube pipe videos for a simple reason: the information imparted is generally less per minute than I can get while reading. It's more efficient to find a text source.
I'm glad to hear this from someone else. There's nothing worse than starting a video, have a guy hop into a seat in front of cheap camera and spend the first 60 seconds lighting his pipe, talk haltingly for a minute but then the pipe goes out. Relight, repeat for the next 10 minutes.
I have the same problem with podcasts. They just take too long to get the information across.
@theediabeticman, I appreciate your post and agree with most of your sentiments. But it reminds me of something my journalist wife said. "Behind every great writer is a great editor". Still, if you provide a link every now and then I'd be happy to take a look.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I have the same problem with podcasts. They just take too long to get the information across.
I concur heartily here. I have tried to listen to many of these, and find myself thinking (1) get to the point and make it clearly and (2) stop repeating around the periphery.
Even good podcasts. It's just a different audience. Last time I tried talk radio, it was the same thing.
I have the same problem with political speeches. It's like listening to bad heavy metal: here comes the riff again, with more emo on the vocals.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Generally speaking, I find most podcasts are made for the benefit of the poster, not the hoped for audience. I will concede that some of the "tubers" think they have something to say. Most do not, they just love saying it in front of a camera. It's an ego driven phenomena, in my opinion.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Nearly the entire pop-culture in the digital age is an ego-driven phenomenon. YOU-tube, FACE-book and "Reality TV". It's amateur hour 24/7...and no one ever seems to tire of it. Everyone wants to turn their life into The Truman Show so they can be the star. It's an exhibitionist's paradise. But since so many are doing it, the impact and novelty has long worn off.
And yes, I'm speaking in generalities...there are always exceptions.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Good point, brian64 (upgrade from brian32 no doubt). What people do not realize is that if everyone gets 15 minutes of fame, there's no point caring about whose fifteen minutes is on now.
Life is still anonymous, under a vast sky and the weight of our own insignificance.

Status
Not open for further replies.