PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I mentioned to fish' that the tracking shows Florence, downgraded to a depression, arching up all the way to his territory in Maine, and he said that the ocean water there is getting colder and is called The Hurricane Killer, for sucking all the power out of hurricanes that need warm water for all their energy, so bye-bye Florence. Maine is waiting for you.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
Looks like it's going to pick up strength as it rolls out over the Gulf Stream and southern Grand Banks .
But , nothing we can't handle .

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
At least the rain has died down. Like MSO said, the big danger is going to be from all the rain up in the mountains running downhill into the flatlands that are already saturated.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It puzzles me that the graphics show the now-depression far south of us in the center of the state, but the rain keeps on coming and won't quit until Tuesday p.m. That's what is bringing on inland flooding that hasn't even crested yet for the most part. We've been totally blessed and lucky so far, relatively low wind speeds and high ground. We'll venture out soon, but I'm aware of flooding roads and fallen limbs. Off the hook but not entirely in the clear. Now the slow labor of putting the flooded areas back to rights.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
MSO, the effects (or is it affect in this context) of a hurricane can be felt over a hundred miles from the projected center of the storm. What you are seeing are the remnants of the storm as it breaks up and start moving - usually to the north and east. The actual low pressure area which was the storm is going to make it's way more northward through Tennessee and Kentucky and then take a more northeasterly course. You could be seeing rain bands into the middle of the week.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
pappy', yep, that's the way it's behaving. We'll get one sunny day on Wednesday, and then back to intermittent rain. Can't complain. We started out in the center of the inland track on Florence. Now we just have to lay low for another day or two until they get the local roads right. The folks with flooding will be working for months, years, to get back to how it was last week. Plenty of tree limbs to pick up, for me, and one garbage can lid took off for points unknown and the can filled with water, to be bailed with a bucket. And I'm one of the luckiest folks in the state.

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
When those depressions / troughs get to the south of us moving along a north easterly track , they invariable drag up a lot of warm moist air due to the rotation and we are on the edge of it.
All the moisture laden air hits the cooler northerly flow and boom ... rainy , but warm too , kinda nice .
Perfect time to roll up the garage door , get in my comfy chair and light up a favorite blend , watch the water pouring off the roof and down to the storm drains .

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
When there's lightning, you know it always brings me down....
jay-roger.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The state, NC, is still contending with flooding for the next week or more, and recovery for the next year or more, but going to the hurricanes.gov site, they've taken down the graphics for Florence as an active storm, despite its projected progress as a depression up through Western N.C. and on up through Ohio and Pennsylvania and up past the coast of Maine. So that's a signal that at least the emergency related to Hurricane Florence and its weather are now history, though the flooding it has brought isn't. People will dig out and rebuild from the flooding now, mostly out of the news cycle.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Dodododoherecomesthesun. You're a mess, gunnerjay.
Pretty much the same here as for you NC guys for the next few, although we just get the outer portions. Solid rain here since yesterday morning, though not heavy. Once the soil's supersaturated, though, watch out.
I'll definitely take the high road to work tomorrow; several people have been killed in flash floods under a rr underpass on the road I usually use.

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
Interesting observations , never really had those sorts of issues , flash floods , mud slides.
A world of difference in changing latitudes and terrain , some say ours can diffuse massive windstorms because of the relatively slow change in height , plus atmospheric depressions tend to dissipate anyway as it moves north
Thank god for small favours , cheers

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Why whatever is that Anderson Vanderbilt Green-Screen Cooper doin' posin' out there in the muck and the mire?

Status
Not open for further replies.