PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
It's a bit more than lots of rain. Already seeing steady winds of 25 to 30 mph in the Raleigh area with gusts up to 40. It's reasonable to expect Raleigh will see some extended period with winds in the 60 to 90 mph range and lots of rain. That won't kill anybody unless they get hit by a falling tree but it will certainly cause a good deal of property damage. With that said, it's still a lot better than if Florence was a Category 4 headed dead on into Wilmington.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Weather bureau is already giving flash flood warnings here in the mountains & it isnt even raining yet & storm still far away.

Jan 8, 2013
I've been following this thing on The Weather Channel. It may not be a Cat 3 or above anymore, but it's still mean. I hope all of you in this beast's path are staying safe.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Sure got that right, anthony. Cat 1 will still Royally Kick Your Butt if you get complacent & let your guard down.
People will do weird stuff during 'canes, snow storms, etc., too. ccw, you were talking about grocery stores? Is da revolvin' truth! When snow (6" or more) would get forecast for Louavul, people would hit Kroger & Wallyworld & do just KraYzEE stuff. You'd see carts loaded with milk, bread, ping-pong balls, eggs... Whoa, wait a minute, did you say "ping-pong balls"??? Yeah, I said ping-pong balls. Why? Simple.
They were on hanging strips on the cooler doors between the milk & the eggs.
People would swoop through like buzzards scooping up anything & everything, whether it made sense or not. Swear to God, 100% no joke. Insane, just freaking insane....

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Here we go. Wind is picking up in gusts. No heavy rain yet but coming. Rain may be the worst of it for us. If we can get through the day and into the evening, that could have be most of it, he said optimistically. Then of course, we must stay home and out of the floods. Speaking of the devil, we just got a burst of rain. This is how it will be today. Actually, Raleigh where I am, has opened shelters for people from the coast, so this is the oasis. If I fall quiet, it will be that I'm busy with tending to the storm or the power has gone out. Good luck everyone, and especially our friends at smokingpipes.com and everyone else in the direct track.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Thanks, timt. And here comes the rain. The track jogs slightly south eventually, so I'm hoping that will take the rain bands further south. Boy am I an optimist.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Briar is a light and dense wood. If you run strong cord through the stummel and out of the bowl, you can probably fashion a sort of woven emergency raft out of your vast pipe collection.
Your wife will look at your pipes with a new sense of awe and appreciation after you sail them to the safe zone in the higher ground of the Appalachians.
Burn a kettle of Mixture 79 for heat and light and so the rescue dogs can sniff you out, if necessary.
Godspeed, my friend. The Frigate grants you safe passage in these dire circumstances.
jay-roger.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Jay, I like the way you think. Oddly, Florence is taking an odd left turn, and after chugging through S.C., she's headed up through the mountains of N.C. Having been there during heavy rains, I'm amazed to say the flash flooding there looks like the Colorado River skiing down the side of a mountain, and it all happens in seconds, scary. But I'll keep the pipe raft firmly in mind for our local use.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Mountains and water are difficult to predict some times.
I once went with a young woman camping in Rocky Gap State Park, in Maryland.
We hiked along creeks with azaleas and rhododendrons in bloom and sipped wine in our tent as the rain softly pattered around us.
The next day, we went into town for breakfast to find headlines proclaiming, "Campers washed to their doom!" which occurred just the other side of the ridge from us.
I'd have been screwed, as I was not even a pipe smoker back then.... :cry:
jay-roger.jpg

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
Come in North Carolina ... helloooo
Those guys without power ?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm hunkered down at home with not much wind and intermittent rain, and we are extremely lucky as North Carolinians go. So far so good. The coast didn't get the horrific winds that might have hit it, but the flooding is truly bad and getting worse, and will move inland somewhat in the rivers for days. Even here in central N.C., the Neuse and other rivers will flood. The storm surge was bad, and the inland flooding with the rain is worse. With the southerly jog of the storm, the Capital at Raleigh hopes for diminished rain bands in the next day or two. After that thunderstorms are predicted. So we're contending with this for a while. As mentioned, this is now headed west and then north to the N.C. mountains, where flooding down the mountains is a peril. Then, as a depression, this will head northwest even into New York and Maine and on out to sea. It won't be harrowing by then, but it may still carry a load of rain. I hope all our friends in S.C. and Georgia are staying out of the weather and evading the flooding. This is a record setter for rainfall.

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
I'm actually sitting on my back porch now. I live east of Raleigh and there's a little breeze and some hit and miss rain showers but otherwise just cloudy. The wind will pick up once in awhile, just enough to ruffle the leaves. No major damage here, I don't think the creeks even rose above their usual levels. Further south though they're dealing with a mess. I hope everyone in SC is doing alright, I know it's basically sitting down there at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.