Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

The rapport is real. I get you.

There is always a context to any story.

I deal with a fellow board member on my HOA. He's from the business world and worked as a director of a well known company. He's bright, but he isn't a rocket scientist. But he certainly thinks a lot of himself. Anyway, he looks at me, and sees a teacher. What do I know. If, as president, I ask management a question and they answer, he'll ask the same question, get the same answer, and thank the management while he then proceeds to address the board like he asked the question I asked in the first place, disregarding everything that came before.

The point is this: In life, certain fellows think a lot of themselves, their abilities, and their own perceptions. They do this while disregarding everyone else - they truly walk into a room and the first thing on their mind is themselves.

And they have opinions about everything and they are unwilling to consider that they might be either wrong or limited. And then they proceed to put everyone else straight.

I am not saying you are like that board member.

What I am saying is that I just came out of another meeting with that board member and once again he reminded everyone about how he saw the situations we are dealing with and just how we should prioritize them.

So, I read here that using a can of soup somehow discounts the validity of the statement "we make everything by scratch" and I think, well, maybe from their perspective they do. And I think, why should I create an argument that undermines their statement.

So.... I think, hmmm, Obi-wan, from a certain point of view, they do make the food from scratch.

Really, it is a question worth exploring and I certainly appreciate your point of view. I concede that from a conservative point of view, making something from scratch is as you laid out.

From a more liberal point of view, making something from scratch can be arranging a series of ingredients that are complete in and of themselves and then combining and manipulating them in such a manner as to create something new that didn't exist before.

My board member is unwilling to concede anything other than his point of view. I suppose this explains my exasperation and response.

It's NOT you Cosmo....

It's me.....

:) :ROFLMAO:
Are you still going on and on? Ha ha, JK, bud!

• Haha
Reactions: telescopes

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
I would call it amateurish. I would never use a store bought can or f'n store bought crackers. Julia Childs started this quaint ideas of using canned soups and stuff to trick people into thinking you made it from scratch. But, if you like to cook that way, and you want to call it what you want, then fine. We do not even buy condiments in our house. Mayo is whipped up when needed.

But... WTF is up with Hef going to restaurants and telling the cook not only what he wants but how to cook it? Why not just bring your cook and get a place with a kitchen if he only eats this one thing. I think that today, he'd get thrown out on his bum, for doing this.
I mean, why not try what the cook is good at, or what he enjoys cooking? What a putz. Hell, he never even showed us the "good stuff" in his rag. puffy
Do you have any processed food guilty pleasures?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
The rapport is real. I get you.

There is always a context to any story.

I deal with a fellow board member on my HOA. He's from the business world and worked as a director of a well known company. He's bright, but he isn't a rocket scientist. But he certainly thinks a lot of himself. Anyway, he looks at me, and sees a teacher. What do I know. If, as president, I ask management a question and they answer, he'll ask the same question, get the same answer, and thank the management while he then proceeds to address the board like he asked the question I asked in the first place, disregarding everything that came before.

The point is this: In life, certain fellows think a lot of themselves, their abilities, and their own perceptions. They do this while disregarding everyone else - they truly walk into a room and the first thing on their mind is themselves.

And they have opinions about everything and they are unwilling to consider that they might be either wrong or limited. And then they proceed to put everyone else straight.

I am not saying you are like that board member.

What I am saying is that I just came out of another meeting with that board member and once again he reminded everyone about how he saw the situations we are dealing with and just how we should prioritize them.

So, I read here that using a can of soup somehow discounts the validity of the statement "we make everything by scratch" and I think, well, maybe from their perspective they do. And I think, why should I create an argument that undermines their statement.

So.... I think, hmmm, Obi-wan, from a certain point of view, they do make the food from scratch.

Really, it is a question worth exploring and I certainly appreciate your point of view. I concede that from a conservative point of view, making something from scratch is as you laid out.

From a more liberal point of view, making something from scratch can be arranging a series of ingredients that are complete in and of themselves and then combining and manipulating them in such a manner as to create something new that didn't exist before.

My board member is unwilling to concede anything other than his point of view. I suppose this explains my exasperation and response.

It's NOT you Cosmo....

It's me.....

:) :ROFLMAO:
I think that's just called being a narcasistic douchenozzle. I think that's the official name of that disorder.

• Love
I suppose that would be difficult to make from scratch.
I wouldn't say that I never eat processed or even pre-prepared food. I don't make pasta... but we don't really eat a lot of pasta. I don't think that all restaurants make every little thing served. But, if I say such I made something from scratch, it is from scratch. And, if a restaurant says such and such was made from scratch, then it had better be from scratch. But, not all restaurants would say that it is all from scratch. I am aware of Cisco supplying most restaurants. But, if they say scratch, it'd better be scratch.

Ha ha, it'd be neat if the show Chopped would come up with a line of restaurants where you could order like like the show. "Mmmmmm, make me something with a can of sardines, M&Ms, and a watermelon."

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I would call it amateurish. I would never use a store bought can or f'n store bought crackers. Julia Childs started this quaint ideas of using canned soups and stuff to trick people into thinking you made it from scratch. But, if you like to cook that way, and you want to call it what you want, then fine. We do not even buy condiments in our house. Mayo is whipped up when needed.

But... WTF is up with Hef going to restaurants and telling the cook not only what he wants but how to cook it? Why not just bring your cook and get a place with a kitchen if he only eats this one thing. I think that today, he'd get thrown out on his bum, for doing this.
I mean, why not try what the cook is good at, or what he enjoys cooking? What a putz. Hell, he never even showed us the "good stuff" in his rag. puffy
I’m sure whatever restaurant he went to was more than happy to accommodate him. They probably got mention in the magazine, and were able to capitalize on the fact that “Hef ate here”…

Reactions: anotherbob

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I’m fairly certain that restaurants that advertise items as made from scratch use a percentage of ingredients that were already prepared.

Sysco has a whole catalog full.

As long as they’re not reheating frozen Hungry Man dinners, the whole scratch thing can be kind enough of a slippery slope.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I’m fairly certain that restaurants that advertise items as made from scratch use a percentage of ingredients that were already prepared.

Sysco has a whole catalog full.

As long as they’re not reheating frozen Hungry Man dinners, the whole scratch thing can be kind enough of a slippery slope.
Though I worked at one place that added lemon juice and a pinch of black pepper to salad dressing and called it home made. That place sucked. I'll put it this way every time I watched kitchen nightmares I'd think how the fuck are these places going under and Facia is doing good?

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
I grew up with lots of Italians that would almost exclusively use canned tomatoes for their Sunday gravy. Besides the convenience, quality San Marzanos are better than the “fresh” tomatoes you’re getting from the grocery store in Michigan during February. With some of the older generations it was a symbol of wealth to be able to afford to purchase more expensive canned/prepared foods.

Besides, I’m sure half of your palates have been burned away from three bowls a day for 27 years

Thats being said, Hef’s lamb recipe does sound like shit

• Love
Let’s not forget how “canning” started (and still goes on).
View attachment 124732
Yehhhhh... but that's a far cry from...
Can you think of a better loop? - GIF on Imgur

J-Evverrett

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2021
Meriden, CT
My wife cans everything we don’t eat fresh from the garden every year. Also, jelly making with anything we can grow enough of. There’s nothing better in my opinion than garden fresh foods. Strawberry rhubarb pie is awesome when the time comes. We eat the home canned foods in the winter months. It doesn’t last long, and then we’re stuck on the can-can sale stuff. My kids like the store bought stuff better, oddly enough. Philistines.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I am dining at one of Palm Springs better restaurants tonight. A highly rated restaurant, I have no doubt the prepared ingredients will absolutely be mixed in with some of their kitchen prepped ingredients and the results will be....

Spectacular. Of course.

I wonder... where do top chefs get the peanut butter to add to their Panaang Curry? Hmmmm, I said. Let me have a look.

And so the chef allowed as he invited me into the back of the kitchen.

And there to my wonder, was Jiffy in a jar.

Says I.... Don't you grind your own.

Laughs he.... Seriously, is that a question?

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
The vast majority of people live in cities. The vast majority of people have lives that allow them to do something more than forage for food. A definition of “scratch “ that removes options not related to focusing only on food preparation because of time constraints or distance from necessary ingredients is nuts. Julia Child elevated food preparation and in my book was a culinary gift to the world.

Haha