PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
And I'd just acquired a real taste for some of the Mac Barens blends. I still have a few, but I finished off my Latakia Flake, which is mild but great (to me). This really throws the spotlight back on Hearth and Home (PC) Midtown tub blends, which are still a really good buy. Yup, buy during the sales and stock up.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
JR's still has MacBaren products at reasonable prices, much cheaper than P&C and Smoking Pipes.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Cup O' Joes still has the HH MacBaren tins (100g) priced at $14.99 each. If you purchase five the price drops to $13.85 each.
Needless to say I placed a huge order for HH Vintage Syrian, HH Latakia Flake, and HH Acadian Perique. If I would have paid the newly adjusted price I woke up to this morning I would have had to spend a couple hundred dollars more for the same amount. Yikes. Close call.
Time to kick it in overdrive the rest of the year and round out the rest of my cellar.
Happy 4th everyone!

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Holy cats! $16 for capstan? That's just silly. good thing MacBaren isn't generally my go to. They certainly won't be at that rate.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
I may be in the minority but I still find pipe smoking an extremely cheap hobby compared to the alternatives. I'd rather pay 20 a tin than have a company go out of business. An extra $5 per tin is what... 50 cents a bowl? Not a deal breaker for me.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Now I really got interested so I looked up the price I paid for my Capstan Gold and Blue, 5 tins on 08/15/2014 and 5 tins on 09/02/2014 at SPC and the price was, wait for it:
$9.68 a tin both purchases. I am just the thrifty little shopper.
Their price is now $16.15 a tin so I spent $96.80 in 08/2014 and now to replace it, it would cost me $161.50 or a 65% increase in a year. A reason to cellar anyone?
Now if you look you can pick it up cheaper right now but how long will that last before the old stock is gone.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I'm also with Ben. There is simply no reason for MacBaren to price that high when there are so many other, frankly better, producers. I like MacB, but nearly as much as many others. I wonder how many of their board members even smoke a pipe?

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Per Jensen of Mac Baren Tobacco Company is a Forum member. I just sent to him the following Private Message:
Dear Mr. Jensen: Today a thread titled "Huge Price Increase on Mac Baren Tins" was started by Forum member beezer. He stated, in part, that, "I went online to replenish my cellar with MacBaren tins and noticed the price increased by approximately $5 per tin at most of the online retailers. Not sure when this occurred, but I think it was within the past few days." Would you be so kind as to respond to that thread and let the Forum members know the reason for this apparent increase in pricing? Thank-you! HunterTRW
Let's see if he responds.
Happy Independence Day everyone!

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
@ huntertrw,

Would be most interesting to hear the response if he bothers to do so. However, from what I've read it would seem as though Mac Baren is not not the only one who has raised it's price quite significantly. Capstan from (P&C) from $12.10 to $16.15! I'm personally not overly concerned about it as even with my meager stash (somehow the term 'cellar' doesn't quite fit for me) I've more than enough to keep me going.
Not to worry though for those that are getting panicky. Peck's cellar has more tobacco than the three main online retailers put together and he can't hide that environmentally controlled barn of his forever. :wink:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I just checked my old orders on ODF and they range from a low of 9.38 to a high of 10.50 and were bought in 2012. It was just a matter of time before prices were bound to go up. For the longest time, Mac Baren had some of the lowest prices out there so I don't begrudge them their increase.

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
Plenty of other blenders out there. And better ones too. It's my own taste, but MacBaren doesn't make anything that makes me go, "Wow." So good luck with that price increase.

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
Its unconvinient with price increase`s but for me personally it is/was expected, Im more worried about what is going to be available in the future, taxation and laws about internet sales. I do suspect that in the future we are forced to buy "locally" rather than buy from the vendor of our choice

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I'm glad I have more tobacco cellared than I can smoke in my expected lifetime.

From here on out I'll only be sampling new-to-me offerings.
I'm with ya! The problem is that damn TAD itch just does not go away... :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.