PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sunnysmokes

Lurker
Oct 10, 2023
Tropical United States
75% Boveda pack and tobacco in a ziploc freezer bag. When you’re done you can store the Boveda pack in the same ziploc for later use. I still have one from about a year ago and it’s still good.
How long do you leave the Boveda with the tobacco? I have a 72% pack I could use which sounds a lot easier than any other method

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Put a slice of apple in it hydrated without over moisture. The apple is a natural humidity pack only letting out enough moisture and then absorbing the rest. Old trick.
My grandfather used an apple peel in his tobacco pouch to keep his tobacco moist. He never had a problem with mold but that probably was because he only smoked 10 or 12 bowls a day.

I used an apple slice until another old pipe smoker I knew introduced me to using a piece of orange peel instead. He believed the citric acid in the peel prevented mold. I haven't had a mold problem using the orange peel either.

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina
How long do you leave the Boveda with the tobacco? I have a 72% pack I could use which sounds a lot easier than any other method
I check it periodically, maybe every couple days. I think the longest I left it in was a week or two at most. I’ve only done this a few times but I was happy with the results. A gradual, even rehydration. As you say, it was easy and I just don’t like the idea of moist paper towels or fruit peels with my tobacco.

Reactions: sunnysmokes

Green Hill piper

Can't Leave
Feb 1, 2023
My grandfather used an apple peel in his tobacco pouch to keep his tobacco moist. He never had a problem with mold but that probably was because he only smoked 10 or 12 bowls a day.

I used an apple slice until another old pipe smoker I knew introduced me to using a piece of orange peel instead. He believed the citric acid in the peel prevented mold. I haven't had a mold problem using the orange peel either.
Thanks, I'll remember that. I smoke about that much a day anyway lol

Green Hill piper

Can't Leave
Feb 1, 2023
Apple slices will work but they can also introduce mold if you’re planning to keep the tobacco around. Better to stick with distilled water.
Not to keep longer but overnight, just a quick fix for crispy tobacco. I agree that the humidity discs with distilled water also works great.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
No need to rehydrate. I spend long periods of time just trying to dry my tobacco out! It smokes and tastes so much better dry. I think so atleast.
So true. The thing in my mind is that the level of moisture people think is ideal for smoking is actually the level of moisture that is ideal for shipping.
But if you really need to rehydrate use a few drops of rum, whiskey, brandy, or Brandy ( ;P ) put a few drops in a small pile of tobacco seal it up and just wait till the moisture spreads.
Also I find it weird how much rehydrating doesn't ruin tobacco for so many. I think it ruins the flavor.

Reactions: gord and didimauw

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
So true. The thing in my mind is that the level of moisture people think is ideal for smoking is actually the level of moisture that is ideal for shipping.
But if you really need to rehydrate use a few drops of rum, whiskey, brandy, or Brandy ( ;P ) put a few drops in a small pile of tobacco seal it up and just wait till the moisture spreads.
Also I find it weird how much rehydrating doesn't ruin tobacco for so many. I think it ruins the flavor.
I just had a bowl of fresh pegasus, and it tasted sour to me. Ugh....

Reactions: anotherbob

Buffalo

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2022
Central Nebraska
Much easier, quicker and cheaper: get some bits of broken pottery. They absorb water nicely, and any tobacco that sticks can be easily reclaimed.
I'll second this method, although it is advisable to make sure the pot you use did not contain your wife's flowers moments before being broken and stuck in your tobacco jar.

RAW (the weed company) sells terra cotta discs that work really well also. I use them in my forever jar of tobacco scraps.

Santiago

Might Stick Around
Oct 24, 2023
Finland
Depends how much you are willing to smoke that dried out tobacco. I usually put them in a trash can and let it rained or not until next garbage collection day.
Lol :D For me it is going to be the same from now on; managed to get some latakia really dry and there was simply no saving it afterwards. No matter how much I hydrated it, it just tasted like ash.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

RudyG

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2023
New York
A cup full of damp paper towels in the middle of a suitable Tupperware sealable container. Surround the cup with the dry tobacco, cover and burp out the air, then check every day.

Usually 2 to 3 days does the trick

Reactions: gord