PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Lucashly

Can't Leave
Jun 21, 2023
California
I put my tobacco in a food storage container. I make a digit in the center, put in a 1oz container of distilled water uncovered. I put the cover on the container on a seed starter warming mat. I leave the mat on for short periods, one I see a little humidity inside. I check on the blend daily until it gets to my liking. Hope this helps.
This. Distilled water does not remove the oils.

Reactions: John C.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Distilled water and a spray bottle with a fine mist. Spray lightly, mist and seal. Open in a couple of days. Better to underspray than overspray. This has worked for me every time over the past sixty-four years that I’ve been a smoker. Can’t argue with success over the long haul.

Reactions: mingc

EddyTee

Lurker
Dec 11, 2023
I'm glad I found this thread.
I was just about to post a question about how to rehydrate tobacco.
One thing I've found is that tins can't be counted on to keep tobacco from drying out. The plastic lids must not seal tight enough.
A couple of tins that I bought some time back have gotten a tad more dry than I'd prefer. Especially some shag cut.
I put them all into a humidor and put in one of those cups with the sort of gel crystal stuff. That seemed to keep it from drying any more but didn't really rehydrate it. As an experiment I put a half dropper full of distilled water right in the tin and put the top on and shook it up. I left it in the humi over night and this morning it seems to have worked. Of course the concern is always mold. But I think I'm OK. It seems to have hit the sweet spot in terms of being moist but not over moist. It smokes fine.
I find that dry tobacco is harsh as is over moist tobacco.
It's all a matter of pleasing that blond bimbo Goldilocks.
Thanks for the input. Useful.

woodrow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 28, 2018
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
$5 misting bottle on Amazon, $1 gallon jug of distilled water. This is not rocket science and really doesn't need to be.
Exactly what I’ve been doing. Get a new bottle and wash it out with distilled water. Since I like to have a variety handy I’ve ordered a bunch of 5 by 7 Mylar bags. Mylar is far, far better than plastic bags. I think I have about 12 bags of dry baccy, all being transferred to Mylar.

SunriseBoy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 18, 2021
Toowoomba
I'm glad I found this thread.
I was just about to post a question about how to rehydrate tobacco.
One thing I've found is that tins can't be counted on to keep tobacco from drying out. The plastic lids must not seal tight enough.
A couple of tins that I bought some time back have gotten a tad more dry than I'd prefer. Especially some shag cut.
I put them all into a humidor and put in one of those cups with the sort of gel crystal stuff. That seemed to keep it from drying any more but didn't really rehydrate it. As an experiment I put a half dropper full of distilled water right in the tin and put the top on and shook it up. I left it in the humi over night and this morning it seems to have worked. Of course the concern is always mold. But I think I'm OK. It seems to have hit the sweet spot in terms of being moist but not over moist. It smokes fine.
I find that dry tobacco is harsh as is over moist tobacco.
It's all a matter of pleasing that blond bimbo Goldilocks.
Clean potato peel works very well.
That's my only method. Just two or three slivvers, an inch long, 1/4 inch thick for around two ounces. But it's also a 'feel' thing. Just have to judge it. But you've been around a while, you'll get the idea pretty quick.

lupy1234

Might Stick Around
Jul 3, 2023
I bought some Drexel VIII from P&C that was probably 7 years old or so a few months ago. Used a couple of 69% Boveda packs in a ceramic jar. Let it sit without opening for a few weeks.