How to Re-Hydrate Pipe Tobacco

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
If it is of any help, my grandad’s technique for rehydrating tobacco - not that he allowed this to happen regularly - was Apple peel for aromatics and potato peel for others and never a lot of either, just a shaving of the required one usually popped into the pouch.
He used a similar tactic with dried out cigars also.

Reactions: ofafeather

Drucquers Banner
Jul 5, 2020
Bayreuth, Bavaria, Germany
I use moistened charcoal filters (that's the only thing they are useful for).
Depending on dryness and quantity of tobacco I throw 1-4 filters into the jar.

When they are dry, I repeat that exercise until the tobacco is good to smoke.

I can highly recommend this method, the results are awesome.

Reactions: Servant King

Servant King

Preferred Member
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I use moistened charcoal filters (that's the only thing they are useful for).
Depending on dryness and quantity of tobacco I throw 1-4 filters into the jar.

When they are dry, I repeat that exercise until the tobacco is good to smoke.

I can highly recommend this method, the results are awesome.
Verrrrry interesting...thanks for the tip! I have about two dozen of those things collecting dust, and a jar of Peterson Irish Whiskey that's a little too crispy.

Much obliged!

Reactions: Duke of Erinmore

LikeDadDid

Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
During my first week of smoking I opened a tin that I'd gotten from my brother. I decided it was too dry, filled as I was with the confidence of total inexperience, and so I poured in a teaspoon of tap water and closed it back up for a couple days. When I opened it again the moisture was evenly distributed throughout, and a pinch would clump together nicely. I thought, "that's ready!" Haha. You know the rest.

ChippewaAce

Apr 20, 2021
Tennessee
Years ago, before bulk barns, we cured tobacco on sticks. After curing we had to open the barn doors during the night to let the leaves obtain some moisture and become pliable so they didn't crumble while unloading the barn and hauling to the pack house. That's how I handle dry pipe tobacco. I pour the crunchy tobacco into my wife's biscuit pan and place it on the porch overnight. By early next morning, if pinched between the fingers, it will hold together and be soft. I just place it in a mason jar and seal it up. This works because the tobacco will only absorb the moisture amount it needs and is never introduced to liquid All that's left is washing biscuit pan and slipping it back in the kitchen before she's any the wiser.
This is FANTASTIC! Can get mighty humid here in Tennessee so this may be something I try with an old tin this summer!

felix Cappuccio

Mar 17, 2021
If you don't have a tobacco jar etc.and you open a tin of tobacco put a few drops of distilled water on the bottom of the the plastic cover for the time begin it helps until you get something more substantial.

Reactions: Servant King

Drucquers Banner